3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

MODS/ACCESSORIES for the GK

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by maxair
Yeah tommycrx, This is perfectly possible.
My fitfans forum friend will make this in your Brazilian Fit 15:

The Japan part numbers:

Reclectors:
33500-T5A-J21
33550-T5A-J21

Taillights LED:
34150-T5A-J21
34155-T5A-J21

Where do I get that rear bumper and these parts?

Old 01-03-2015, 11:40 AM
5 Year Member
Old 01-03-2015, 12:01 PM
5 Year Member
Wheelskins EuroPerf Perforated Leather Steering Wheel Cover

I selected the euro style (which works better on the 3 spoke designs) with perforated sides, smooth top and bottom.

Size for fit 2015 I personally measured was 14 1/2" x 4" which matched the online fit 2013 sizing.

Purchased on-line at autoanything for $57 incl CA tax and 10% promo code, with free shipping.

Wheelskins EuroPerf Perforated Leather Steering Wheel Covers - Sides Perforation
(All Fit models)
Part #: Black/Black Perf 14 1/2 X 4

Name:  VTKXi0q.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  350.1 KB

Took several hours and I used the extra thread to wrap around the 3 spokes to tighten up the fit, especially the backside that otherwise doesn't get stitched. Word of warning... The perforated section is harder to stitch because it is more difficult to find the 'through' holes over the perfs.

'Tight is right' is definitely the case when stitching these and gloves help a lot.

Feels great while driving. A worthy upgrade for those wanting the leather steering wheel without the leather seats.

More pics here of follow up install.

Last edited by tbFit; 02-20-2015 at 10:35 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:15 PM
5 Year Member
DIY Cargo Cover

Following the $11 DIY Cargo Cover guide, picked up a sheet of black foam board at Michaels for $15 and made my own cargo cover.

I made a cardboard template first, cut to shape with a minor amount of trimming, added some gaffers tape to the perimeter and installed. It bends nicely around the rear middle wiper assembly and fits pretty snug.

It came out pretty nice and it wedges in nicely without any velcro. Just bend slightly in the middle up or down to remove and chuck out of the way for the larger costco runs.

Name:  VVm7s7f.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  98.9 KB

Name:  w10vEBK.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  124.0 KB

I added some strong thread left over from a previous wheelskin cover for lifting duty and attached paper clips with tape for attachment points on the trunk. It pivots reasonably well when the hatch opens.

Name:  Q7acx34.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  95.8 KB

Old 01-03-2015, 12:21 PM
5 Year Member
DIY Cargo Organizer and LED light

Two empty beer boxes, and a spare bungee cord. Cost $0 (not including the beer).

I also bought the LED light on Amazon for the trunk which is at least 4x as bright.

@ Amazon, 2 pack for $7
Jtech 2x T10 921 194 24- SMD LED Bulb Super Bright Warm White Jtech 2x T10 921 194 24- SMD LED Bulb Super Bright Warm White

Name:  7UO5N4Q.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  260.1 KB

I love the cargo area hooks!

Old 01-03-2015, 12:28 PM
5 Year Member
Old 01-03-2015, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by tbFit
Two empty beer boxes, and a spare bungee cord. Cost $0 (not including the beer).

I also bought the LED light on Amazon for the trunk which is at least 4x as bright.

@ Amazon, 2 pack for $7
Jtech 2x T10 921 194 24- SMD LED Bulb Super Bright Warm White

I love the cargo area hooks!
Not bad. I bought some S-hooks, but I need to close one end because they come off the seat backs too easily. I have carabiners hanging from the headrest rods too, but it's too high for plastic shopping bags - decent for the reusable fabric ones though. I bought a spray can of plasti-dip for the hooks so hopefully they won't clank after that. The bungied boxes are a good idea.

Old 01-03-2015, 01:32 PM
5 Year Member
Increased Seat Bottom Pitch- Front Seats

Thanks to the tips from others on the site for increasing seat comfort, I went to Lowes and picked up some parts and raised the driver and passenger seats by 3/4" on the front side.

I'm 5'9" with 34" inseam and found it difficult to get a happy spot in these seats and when I came to a stop, i always felt like i was sliding off the front of the seat.

Raising the front by adding washers was fairly straightforward and most of the time was spent finding the parts at Lowes.

Revised 2015-01-26 - swapped out the Lowes parts and went with class 10.9 bolts and larger fender washers.

The parts I used are available at amazon:

Parts list:

Cap Screws (bag of 10) $8.23
Class 10.9 Steel Cap Screw, Zinc Plated Finish, Flange Hex Head, External Hex Drive, Meets JIS B1190, Flanged, Non-Serrated, 50mm Length, Partially Threaded, M10-1.25 Metric Fine Threads, Imported (Pack of 10) Class 10.9 Steel Cap Screw, Zinc Plated Finish, Flange Hex Head, External Hex Drive, Meets JIS B1190, Flanged, Non-Serrated, 50mm Length, Partially Threaded, M10-1.25 Metric Fine Threads, Imported (Pack of 10)

Fender Washers (bag of 100) $14.90
Fender Washers A2 Stainless Steel - 10M x 30M (10.5 ID x 30.0 OD x 2.5 Thick) Qty-100 Fender Washers A2 Stainless Steel - 10M x 30M (10.5 ID x 30.0 OD x 2.5 Thick) Qty-100

Cost was around $24 for the parts.

Name:  pW6tYrq.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  85.6 KB

I used black electrical tape to keep the washers together and keep them from falling under the carpet.

To make it easier to get aligned on the front, I filed the front holes in order to get a vertical enough approach on the bolt hole.

The higher you go, the more difficult it becomes to get the proper angle on the bolt hole. I used a torque wrench to make sure I did not strip out the bolt holes!

Name:  H1I9Axh.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  147.0 KB

The little plastic cover in the back comes off if you grab it and pull down and to the side and back. There is a tab at the rear that you need to slide under to get it back on snug.

Name:  tJIFamX.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  125.2 KB

Finished install with black pipe foam added:
Name:  o2nro3U.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  206.4 KB

Comfort is greatly improved! By far the best mod to date, I no longer feel like I'm sliding off the front seats when braking to a stop.

Last edited by tbFit; 01-26-2015 at 10:59 AM. Reason: updated with revised parts from amazon
Old 01-03-2015, 01:51 PM
Thanks to the tips from others on the site for increasing seat comfort, I went to Lowes and picked up some parts and raised the driver and passenger seats by 3/4" on the front side.

I'm 5'9" with 34" inseam and found it difficult to get a happy spot in these seats and when I came to a stop, i always felt like i was sliding off the front of the seat.

Raising the front by adding washers was fairly straightforward and most of the time was spent finding the parts at Lowes.

The parts I used at Lowes were in the hardware section where they have specialty drawers in metric.

Parts list:

4x - Item# 883204
10-mm-1.25 x 40-mm Zinc Plated Metric Hex Bolt
The Hillman Group 10-mm-1.25 x 40-mm Zinc Plated Metric Hex Bolt
(unfortunately, the 1.25 pitch did not come in stainless steel, perhaps Home Depot has it?)

9x - Item# 882100
5-Count 10-mm Stainless Steel Metric Flat Washers
The Hillman Group 5-Count 10-mm Stainless Steel Metric Flat Washers

1x - Item# 882104
5-Count 10-mm Metric Split Lock Washers
The Hillman Group 5-Count 10-mm Metric Split Lock Washers

Cost was around $18 for the parts.

To confirm the thread size and pitch, I brought the original with me and used the screw in guides on the aisle.

The stock bolts are 14mm head and these replacements have a 17mm head.

Here are some pics from the install.

I used black electrical tape to keep the washers together and keep them from falling under the carpet.

Installed:

To make it easier to get aligned on the front, I loosened up the rear bolts. Which worked great on the drivers side, but the passenger side needed a little bit of filing on the front holes in order to get a vertical enough approach on the bolt hole.

The higher you go, the more difficult it becomes to get the proper angle on the bolt hole. I also used hand tightening to make sure I did not strip out the bolt holes!

The little plastic cover in the back comes off if you grab it and pull down and to the side and back. There is a tab at the rear that you need to slide under to get it back on snug.

Comfort is greatly improved! By far the best mod to date, I no longer feel like I'm sliding off the front seats when braking to a stop.
Did you check to make sure the new bolts seat to the same depth into the floor as the old bolts? Even if you did, I would be worried that those bolts are now a weak point if you get in a crash because you've significantly changed the lateral stress load angle.

To understand what I mean, get a toothpick and hold it between 2 fingers with an 1/8" sticking out. Now try to break that 1/8" off by pressing the side of it with another finger. Now do it again using another toothpick that is sticking out 3/4" and it will snap off much more easily with much less force.

These cars are engineered extensively, for crash protection purposes, literally down to every weld point and nut and bolt used. You've raised those front seat toothpicks up quite a bit. From an engineering perspective, 3/4" can be a lot.

Old 01-03-2015, 02:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MyFreakFit
Did you check to make sure the new bolts seat to the same depth into the floor as the old bolts? Even if you did, I would be worried that those bolts are now a weak point if you get in a crash because you've significantly changed the lateral stress load angle.

To understand what I mean, get a toothpick and hold it between 2 fingers with an 1/8" sticking out. Now try to break that 1/8" off by pressing the side of it with another finger. Now do it again using another toothpick that is sticking out 3/4" and it will snap off much more easily with much less force.

These cars are engineered extensively, for crash protection purposes, literally down to every weld point and nut and bolt used. You've raised those front seat toothpicks up quite a bit. From an engineering perspective, 3/4" can be a lot.
Thanks and point taken on the potential stresses... And yes, the depth on the threads went deep through the holes from my testing.

Of course, the standard disclaimer applies to any of these modifications; do at your own risk.

It sure would be nice if Honda put another few $ of parts into these front seats and made them angle adjustable like the better seats in the old days; '85 Supra, 99' Integra, etc.

Old 01-03-2015, 03:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by B.Dagle
Great price. I just hope that 2014 and 2015 are close enough.

Old 01-03-2015, 03:23 PM
5 Year Member
Found a good use for the antiquated CD slot...

This phone holder is super sturdy and far superior to the vent versions.

@ Amazon for $20

Koomus CD-Air CD Slot Mount Universal CD Slot Smartphone Car Mount Holder Cradle for iPhone 6 6+ 5S, 5C, 5, 4S, 4, iPod touch, Samsung Galaxy S5, S4, S3, Note 2, Note 3, Nexus S, Motorola Droid Razr HD, Maxx, Nokia Lumia 920, LG Optimus G, HTC One X, S, M7

..and winner of the longest product description ever.

That's a clever product, but I wonder if it will do any damage to the DVD area - inside. Since I use Bluetooth to connect my phone, I don't need it mounted somewhere, but I was trying to think of a way to mount it somewhere easily. That might be the best way.

How secure is it when it's inserted into the slot?

Old 01-03-2015, 03:28 PM
5 Year Member
Found a good use for the antiquated CD slot...

This phone holder is super sturdy and far superior to the vent versions.

@ Amazon for $20

Koomus CD-Air CD Slot Mount Universal CD Slot Smartphone Car Mount Holder Cradle for iPhone 6 6+ 5S, 5C, 5, 4S, 4, iPod touch, Samsung Galaxy S5, S4, S3, Note 2, Note 3, Nexus S, Motorola Droid Razr HD, Maxx, Nokia Lumia 920, LG Optimus G, HTC One X, S, M7

..and winner of the longest product description ever.

That's a clever product, but I wonder if it will do any damage to the DVD area - inside. Since I use Bluetooth to connect my phone, I don't need it mounted somewhere, but I was trying to think of a way to mount it somewhere easily. That might be the best way.

How secure is it when it's inserted into the slot?

Old 01-03-2015, 10:58 PM
After many additions (new horns, mats, window visors, body moulding, door edge guard, leather shift knob... I wondered what I could do with the garage door opener. I've never been comfortable with leaving it exposed, clipped to the visor, or the pre-installed openers in the overhead. I had installed an inconspicuous one in my truck so I decided to do the same with the new FIT. On the EX I had a few blanks in the dash panel just left and below the steering wheel. Only one occupied was the traction control. I popped one of those out, did some careful trimming of the inside of it to make room for a button, and gutted a garage door opener for its circuit board. Some soldering, a cheap plastic housing I had laying around, some drilling, some Dremel'ing and I had an opener velcro'd under the dash (with enough wire I could pull it should I need to change the battery) with the button looking like it was part of the dash and design somewhat. Either way, it's not obvious what it is for and gives me a little more quiet mindedness should I leave the car in the driveway and forget to lock it that no one could just open the door and then have access to my garage. Not sure I'm able to post pics yet but when I figure out how to, I'll post some results. Now I'm just contemplating some design ideas for the armrest based on some others I've seen in this community.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverEX15
...How secure is it when it's inserted into the slot?
I went out and grabbed it to check fit and shook the vehicle with it... Didn't budge at all with the standard sized grip installed. It also comes with inserts for 3 other thicknesses. It seems very solid.

Old 01-04-2015, 07:43 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by scotlinkon
After many additions (new horns, mats, window visors, body moulding, door edge guard, leather shift knob... I wondered what I could do with the garage door opener. I've never been comfortable with leaving it exposed, clipped to the visor, or the pre-installed openers in the overhead. I had installed an inconspicuous one in my truck so I decided to do the same with the new FIT. On the EX I had a few blanks in the dash panel just left and below the steering wheel. Only one occupied was the traction control. I popped one of those out, did some careful trimming of the inside of it to make room for a button, and gutted a garage door opener for its circuit board. Some soldering, a cheap plastic housing I had laying around, some drilling, some Dremel'ing and I had an opener velcro'd under the dash (with enough wire I could pull it should I need to change the battery) with the button looking like it was part of the dash and design somewhat. Either way, it's not obvious what it is for and gives me a little more quiet mindedness should I leave the car in the driveway and forget to lock it that no one could just open the door and then have access to my garage. Not sure I'm able to post pics yet but when I figure out how to, I'll post some results. Now I'm just contemplating some design ideas for the armrest based on some others I've seen in this community.
I tried to do that and failed. I ruined two remotes trying to get the wires soldered onto the circuit board. I even sent it to a pro on another forum who solders as part of his job. The problem with both remotes was they worked erratically. Now I have a button with nothing to operate. Still looking for a use for another switch or button.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:46 PM
Following the $11 DIY Cargo Cover guide, picked up a sheet of black foam board at Michaels for $15 and made my own cargo cover.

I made a cardboard template first, cut to shape with a minor amount of trimming, added some gaffers tape to the perimeter and installed. It bends nicely around the rear middle wiper assembly and fits pretty snug.

It came out pretty nice and it wedges in nicely without any velcro. Just bend slightly in the middle up or down to remove and chuck out of the way for the larger costco runs.

I added some strong thread left over from a previous wheelskin cover for lifting duty and attached paper clips with tape for attachment points on the trunk. It pivots reasonably well when the hatch opens.

I'm working on my cover right now, I was wondering what you used to attach the string to the trunk. There was an excellent coupon for Micheal's that ended up working on the foam board, so I got it for $5.50, great deal.

Old 01-04-2015, 07:46 PM
5 Year Member
Snow tires went on today - got a couple inches overnight with more in the forecast...

es

Old 01-04-2015, 08:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GotFitB13
I'm working on my cover right now, I was wondering what you used to attach the string to the trunk. There was an excellent coupon for Micheal's that ended up working on the foam board, so I got it for $5.50, great deal.
Great deal! I had a coupon but the lady said no worky with custom frame materials; go figure.

Attachment was simple, I used a paper clip adjusted with some needle nose pliers to go over 1/8" lip and some gaffers tape to hold in place.

Old 01-04-2015, 11:52 PM
Great deal! I had a coupon but the lady said no worky with custom frame materials; go figure.

Attachment was simple, I used a paper clip adjusted with some needle nose pliers to go over 1/8" lip and some gaffers tape to hold in place.
Thanks! The person who rang it up told me it wouldn't work on the custom framing, too, but I was also buying some thick thread to make the lift, so we thought it would reduce the price of that. But the computer took 50% off the foam board.

Quick Reply: MODS/ACCESSORIES for the GK