3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Android Phone Capability

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 08:06 PM
5 Year Member
I'm not so sure, I have a Galaxy S4 with a custom AOSP-based ROM, and it's often has issues syncing the phonebook and messages and other extra features outside of plain dial-and-talk. Basically it crashes my Bluetooth on my phone. It's could be something with the phone (missing certain library files to pull this off) or the multiple rental cars and my own Fit not being compatible with newer Bluetooth protocols.

I just disable those extra features, regular phone calls have worked for me so far

Old 11-17-2014, 10:08 PM
5 Year Member
Anyone know if the phone (android) capatability differs from the LX to the EX? I mean if an EX did xyz with phone A will it do the same xyz with an LX?

Old 11-19-2014, 04:16 AM
I have a Galaxy S4, and haven't had issues with caller ID, but I have noticed a couple of skips here and there when streaming. Not nearly as frequent as you guys make it seem, but it doesn't really bug me. It's a wireless transmission, and it's probably gonna have gaps (I have them with my bluetooth speaker too) every once in a while.

I just wish that I could use the USB with my phone, if nothing else at least for charging. My phone charges for about 10 seconds and then stops, saying there's an issue with the phone. I have yet to use the HDMI though, despite the fact that I have an adapter for it already (not Honda, but it should work). I worked at a Honda dealer (hence why I bought the car) and saw the sales guys were watching a full movie in it from an iPhone, seats in "Refresh Mode" and all.

Old 11-23-2014, 10:42 AM
Originally Posted by chrisjones
I do actually stream music from my phone via bluetooth, using Google Music, and mine is perfectly smooth. I have my entire music library out in the cloud on Google Music , and using the stock music player in 4.4 (Kit Kat) and now 5.0 (Lollipop), streaming from the cloud, I get no glitches or hesitation or skips or anything, ever. It would only get better with local storage -- no chance of interruption due to 3G/4G signal inconsistency.

Further, pretty much everything works fine with my Nexus 5 connecting via bluetooth. It connects very quickly every time, stays connected, doesn't drop out, takes steering wheel controls correctly for music/podcast control, takes voice dialing commands correctly and passes on to the phone, and receives and reads out loud text messages that have arrived. I can then reply to those through the system with the quick reply list. Finally, all of the expected metadata from MP3 and podcasts appears correctly on the display.

My carrier is Straight Talk, a no contract AT&T reseller.

To get all of this working, I did absolutely nothing more than pair the phone as directed and accept all of the "do you want to enable/allow ____?" prompts on both sides.

I feel for the guy who is having bluetooth connectivity issues and parts not working, but mine has worked perfectly as far as bluetooth should be expected to work. We would get even better integration if Honda were to finally get HondaLink working for Android as they promised long ago, but that involves HDMI. No further feature improvement is likely with standard Bluetooth.

EDIT: I failed to mention that caller ID works for me. I do get a visual on the 7" car screen of the identity of the incoming caller as long as the phone itself is able to determine that (i.e., obviously it won't work for anonymous calls, where caller ID is blocked by the originating party).
I would like to use one of the newer model Android devices such as yours. But get this. They are not on the compatible device list. I have a new device, but an older model (Galaxy S3 running Kit Kat) as that is all that is "compatible" at this point. I have linked a newer model (S5) but have the same issues with stuttering on playback, and only partial caller ID display. It is the Honda unit, not the Android device. The technician at dealer could not figure out the skipping and stuttering issue, the faulty display issue, or the caller ID issue. Neither could the "Honda In Car Technology department". The latest from Honda (in writing 11-5-2014) "Honda is aware of some other issues with the audio unit and they are working on either a hardware or software update in order to fix issue"

Old 11-23-2014, 01:39 PM
5 Year Member
I can't imagine Honda will fix the hardware. Sounds like software issue which is a easy fix once Honda figures it out.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MarcB
I would like to use one of the newer model Android devices such as yours. But get this. They are not on the compatible device list. I have a new device, but an older model (Galaxy S3 running Kit Kat) as that is all that is "compatible" at this point. I have linked a newer model (S5) but have the same issues with stuttering on playback, and only partial caller ID display. It is the Honda unit, not the Android device. The technician at dealer could not figure out the skipping and stuttering issue, the faulty display issue, or the caller ID issue. Neither could the "Honda In Car Technology department". The latest from Honda (in writing 11-5-2014) "Honda is aware of some other issues with the audio unit and they are working on either a hardware or software update in order to fix issue"
I think they're pretty awful at identifying a comprehensive list of compatible devices, especially with the crazy number of models of Android phones that come out every single day. I doubt anyone at Honda is bothering to test many of them and update the list, and I'm not so sure that they test more than a device here and there. I'd wager that most of the new models work fine whether it's on the list or not, and especially anything running a stock or nearly stock Android 4.2 or newer.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:15 AM
I think they're pretty awful at identifying a comprehensive list of compatible devices, especially with the crazy number of models of Android phones that come out every single day. I doubt anyone at Honda is bothering to test many of them and update the list, and I'm not so sure that they test more than a device here and there. I'd wager that most of the new models work fine whether it's on the list or not, and especially anything running a stock or nearly stock Android 4.2 or newer.
Honda's lack of Bluetooth compatibility has been a real disappointment. I use Virgin (Sprint) for a carrier and of their limited range of phones they offer, only a few will pair with my Fit. Oddly, my ancient HTC Evo is one of them and it looks like I'm stuck with it till Honda broadens compatibility. I just purchased a new phone (HTC Desire 816) and was looking forward to all the new features of the last few years, but the car won't pair with it. This is a popular phone in China and India and one would think most anything on Android 4.4 would work, but that's not the case. I had to swap back to the old phone. Since it'll bluetooth to my old Garmin GPS, it leaves me wondering what's going on at Honda.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:51 AM
I totally get that Honda might not test all the new models of every phone, but the Samsung Galaxy S series is one of the most popular phones out, and the S3 is the latest model on their compatible list. This is a 2012 phone were talking about on a 2015 car. The Galaxy Notes (none) don't even make the list.

Old 01-02-2016, 09:57 PM
Well I have a 2016 EX, and I have to report that its still not any better. I get Pandora, and, phone and message, but that's it, Aha doesn't even work. Hopefully they will get on the ball with that but as of yet no such luck.

Old 01-04-2016, 12:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by djpuckfl@gmail.com
Well I have a 2016 EX, and I have to report that its still not any better. I get Pandora, and, phone and message, but that's it, Aha doesn't even work. Hopefully they will get on the ball with that but as of yet no such luck.
Do we need to connect with usb cable in order to explore hondalink functionality. I connected with bluetooth option(handsfree). It works for callas,messages and playing music from phone through bluetooth. Even Though phone is connected with bluetooth (handsfree), when I click hondalink icon it still says phone is not connected with bluetooth. Please check settings or something. What do you think, I am doing wrong here.

Old 04-10-2016, 06:57 PM
Hi all new here for ritholtz question that not going to work you need to connect your phone with a MHL cable to the hdmi and usb to connect your android phone and then touch screen and the Honda link should work with an android app if you need the app let me know I will tell you. just wonted to know if anybody has try using a android HDMI stick on the Honda link and got It working?