3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Window Tint & Clear Bra?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by HeadlightArmor
Have had Llumar on current personal car for the last 7 years and still looks great.

As for the clear bra, yes sooner the better. Will pay for itself over the long haul.
3M has a new Pro Series Scotchgard material - that is the one to go with. very clear and backed by a 7 year national warranty, and is now self healing. minor scratches to the polymer top coat flatten out with the heat of sitting in the sun or the application of hot water.

find a certified installer on 3M's site here
Where to Buy 3M
I just called and got estimates on the 3m clear bra and was quoted $795 from one place and $750 from another. If I want a full hood, it'll be about a grand. Does that sound about right? I know here in the Bay Area things tend to be a little more expensive, but since I have no experience with having bras put on (I mean, you know... aside from the female kind :P), I really don't know what the going rate is anywhere.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:27 PM
700-800 is a good average range nationally for the leading ~24" of the hood, matching fender areas, and full front bumper - given a quality install and the pro series material. there are wide variations on prices searched for online as you can get one installed with less coverage, less expensive materials, and done by a less experienced installer and in a low cost of living market. Or it could by NYC with the best materials and a master installer, for even more $. While the Fit does have a small hood installing the material on the whole thing can be done, but generally it isn't necessary or really recommended - especially on larger hoods as removal down the road is an issue. Given the coverage of a typical install (based on 24" material) you are going to have most of the hood covered. Spending 50% more $ for a few more inches plus areas of the fenders not likely to see chips is harder to justify doing. Hope that helps.

Old 09-10-2014, 12:24 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by HeadlightArmor
700-800 is a good average range nationally for the leading ~24" of the hood, matching fender areas, and full front bumper - given a quality install and the pro series material. there are wide variations on prices searched for online as you can get one installed with less coverage, less expensive materials, and done by a less experienced installer and in a low cost of living market. Or it could by NYC with the best materials and a master installer, for even more $. While the Fit does have a small hood installing the material on the whole thing can be done, but generally it isn't necessary or really recommended - especially on larger hoods as removal down the road is an issue. Given the coverage of a typical install (based on 24" material) you are going to have most of the hood covered. Spending 50% more $ for a few more inches plus areas of the fenders not likely to see chips is harder to justify doing. Hope that helps.
Wouldn't the type wax you use play into your decision about how far to go with the hood coverage? I remember seeing a car that had the protection about 2/3 of the way up the hood, and the edge was white from wax residue, making it look like one long straight scratch. I suppose it could be due to a poor installation, or substandard materials, or the car color itself. Whatever it was, it looked terrible.

Old 09-10-2014, 01:13 AM
Originally Posted by Vanguard
Wouldn't the type wax you use play into your decision about how far to go with the hood coverage? I remember seeing a car that had the protection about 2/3 of the way up the hood, and the edge was white from wax residue, making it look like one long straight scratch. I suppose it could be due to a poor installation, or substandard materials, or the car color itself. Whatever it was, it looked terrible.
I was told by the second shop I called that one should use spray wax on the PPF so that you don't get that line of wax between the edge and the hood.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:24 AM
Originally Posted by Vanguard
No, as long as you do not use a wax that has dyes or is unbleached carnauba you are fine. The wax residue is just from a poor / lazy wax job. If you leave wax on the car you will see it later. Much like where body seams line up, around window trim, etc meet the body. Wipe the edge parallel with a microfiber towel when you are done waxing and you will never have a line of leftovers. In between waxing and after washing a shot of quick detail spray on the material will make removing bugs later easier.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:48 AM
So it just dawned on me that at some point, I'd like to change out the headlights on the car. If I have the PPF put on, is that going to pose a problem later on down the line?

Edit to add: I've been doing some research about what can go wrong with tint jobs, and I'm wondering if the frit dots are going to be an issue. Are adhesion problems customary when installing tint over them?

Last edited by spaghetina; 09-10-2014 at 10:10 AM.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:07 PM
spaghetina, you would still be able to remove the bumper after the ppf is applied to remove the headlights - I think that is what you were getting at??