3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Washing your Fit + any other routine care

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 11:33 PM
Washing your Fit + any other routine care

I think it's time to give my Fit a first wash and wanted to take it to an automated car wash with soft cloths (not brushes). I've heard that these may not be the best for the paint - are they really that bad?? I see that a lot of cars use them. Do any of you use these?? It may sound lazy, but I don't want to hand wash it myself.

Old 01-25-2015, 01:37 AM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
If you have a newer Fit you might be OK to do this but personal experience I normally never take mine through a hand wash or any type of car wash unless I take a bucket and my own washing mitts to do it myself. The 2007 Honda Fit was made in Japan and the paint swirls no matter what you do but it is worse if you have it hand or machined washed. I have shown my car since 2009 and yes I have bucket washed it at the local car wash (never use those brushes they are full of junk that will mar your paint) and washed it in 32 degree temperatures. I broke down and took it through the local hand wash a few weeks ago and even though I went early so I would not have other cars grime and dirt in their wash mitt it swirled the paint. Come spring I will have to do a 2 day detailing job of claying, polishing and waxing just to get it back to looking good again. I only use Meguires microfiber towels for detailing, always use a grit guard in my bucket and use 2 buckets. One to rinse out your mitt and then one which has your car wash soap. I use a strong blow dryer to get water out of the nook and crannies. Use the Absorber and then finish with the microfiber towels. Always start your washing on the top of the car and work your way down. Never use the same mitt on your tires that you plan to use on your paint. Remove the sprayer off your hose after you've soaped it all over and sprayed off the wheel wells and under carriage, let the running water rinse off the entire car without the sprayer will rinse it much better and help the water to run off easier. I showed my Fit on the weekends in tuner/import classes but drove it every day to work and back. My last show was in August 2014 and we won Best Tuner and a Top 75 trophy. The car looked great for being 7 years old

Old 01-25-2015, 03:16 AM
5 Year Member
We have a dedicated forum to car care:

Fit Care - Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

The Fit, is like any other car. The tried and true 2-bucket method is the way to go if you hand wash. Always (rinse -> pre-soak ->)rinse -> wash -> clay -> correct -> seal. Wash from top to bottom. Do a bit more reading and feel free to ask after.

Hit up the Meguiar's/Auto Geek/Detailers Domain forums for some good reading material as well.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:50 AM
5 Year Member
Touchless wash is the only way to not destroy your paint.

However, if you're too lazy to hand wash at all, the car will never look very good anyway.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2015FIT
I think it's time to give my Fit a first wash and wanted to take it to an automated car wash with soft cloths (not brushes). I've heard that these may not be the best for the paint - are they really that bad?? I see that a lot of cars use them. Do any of you use these?? It may sound lazy, but I don't want to hand wash it myself.
I'd never take a car through the automatic. We've had wipers lifted and bent and side view mirrors moved. The manual tells you to remove the radio antenna.

In the winter, I use the DIY wash, which costs about $3.50. Otherwise, I wash it in the driveway. Whatever you do, be sure to get underneath and around the wheel wells.

Old 01-25-2015, 12:07 PM
5 Year Member
I've never had an auto wash do a good job. Not that I'm a clean freak at all, but they miss too many spots.

Those power spray coin operated washes that you power spray and rinse don't do a good job either.

Now I just do a hand wash in my garage where I stay nice and shaded.

About once a month I dust the inside, vacuum a bit and fill the tires to spec.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:04 PM
People have had issues with pressurized sprays taking the paint off so be wary of any system that uses them.

Apparently the new 3-coat paint isn't as good as the old 4-coat paint.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:25 PM
5 Year Member
I normally use the self car wash place at least once a month. The pressure is not high enough to hurt the paint. I've accidentally put my hand in front of the nozzle and it didn't hurt at all. So it's good to know that the spray is gentle on the paint.

What I do every time is pressure spray the soap brush before using it to remove whatever crap is left behind.

It's good enough to keep the dirt off the car until I do hand wash. I always use Meguiar's products which seems to be the best.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:32 PM
5 Year Member
It's Winter here in the Middle West (salt belt), so I run mine through a touchless wash as often as weather conditions permit. Actually, I think I've only hand washed it once since I bought it. No degradation of the paint that I can tell to date. I do hand wash in warmer weather, tho - one bucket, saving the tires for last.

es

Old 01-26-2015, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by stembridge
It's Winter here in the Middle West (salt belt), so I run mine through a touchless wash as often as weather conditions permit. Actually, I think I've only hand washed it once since I bought it. No degradation of the paint that I can tell to date. I do hand wash in warmer weather, tho - one bucket, saving the tires for last.

es
This is what I do as well. The touchless does not get it that clean but it does get the big stuff off, and does not scratch or mar the paint.

Then when weather permits (like this weekend) I do a hand wash.

That has worked for me for a number of years.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Cat
.........have shown my car since 2009....My last show was in August 2014 and we won Best Tuner and a Top 75 trophy. The car looked great for being 7 years old
Allow my correction. Your car doesn't look great. ITS SPECTACULAR!!! No wonder its winning all dem Car Shows.
If my '08 GD even looked half as good, I wouldn't have sold it.
Now you've given me a goal - After 7 yrs. will strive to keep my GK at least 1/2 as pristine as yours.
Great work!!!

Originally Posted by stembridge
..............do hand wash in warmer weather, tho - one bucket, saving the tires for last.
We don't have endless highways, like you mainland folks, were one can go on an endless carefree cross county trip. But, we can do outside hand-washes all year-round!!!
Have been doing one bucket for decades till I joined FF. There was a similar thread in the 3rd GEN section on washing last year. The posters there showed me the horizon and have since used the two bucket system.

BTW, nice pic with those rear upper LED's lighted. Definitely dope!!!

Just to remind all FF members, Stembridge, is the FIRST FF member with his GK having the full (upper/lower) LED rear taillght treatment as in the JDM GK Hybrid. Whose gonna be the second????

Old 01-26-2015, 11:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ROTTBOY
We don't have endless highways, like you mainland folks, were one can go on an endless carefree cross county trip. But, we can do outside hand-washes all year-round!!!
I took my wife to Kwai'i for our 25th anniversary, and you're absolutely correct! Beautiful weather, 24/7!

On the other hand, it was the first time I'd ever seen cars rusting from the top down!

es

Old 01-27-2015, 08:10 PM
Thank you for the washing advice, and for referring me to other threads regarding the subject. I washed it by hand and actually enjoyed.
I used Meguiars car soap, a microfiber mitt, and terry cloths to dry. The only thing that I wasn't successful at was the drying since some moisture was still left over and I didn't want to overdo it since I was afraid of damaging the paint. I'll continue practicing.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:41 PM
5 Year Member
Terry cloths should never touch your paint.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:46 PM
The Meguiar's bottle actually said that a clean 100% cotton terry cloth could be used to dry. What's so bad about them, and what would be better option? Should I just use a microfiber towel? A blower or dryer is not an option so it has to be some kind of towel or squeegee.

Last edited by 2015FIT; 01-27-2015 at 09:04 PM.