3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Backup camera views?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 11:15 AM
Backup camera views?

Hi all!

My first post here, I've been lurking for a bit and I'm the proud new owner of a 2015 EX in White Orchid Pearl as of Wednesday!

I do have one question about the backup camera - the distance from objects seems way off. I did a search and found a thread about this but the person seems to have the opposite problem from me. I have noticed that when using the top down view (to see how close I am from hitting a wall), the wall is MUCH closer in this view than in the other views. I can post pics if necessary but it looks like I'm about to hit the wall and then I change views or physically get out of my car to look and I have tons of room. I've cleaned off the camera and made sure it's okay but I'm wondering if this distortion is normal. I have never had a backup camera so maybe I'm just not used to this? I find it quite handy when I'm in my underground parking as I fit in a very tight space.

Any insight would be appreciated!

Old 03-14-2015, 12:28 PM
5 Year Member
Just something to get used too. I noticed the same and look over my shoulder as usual for all backup operations until I need to fine tune it. Notice the dash line reflects the hatch arc so you don't get too close.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:45 PM
Took only a bit of time, but now I don't worry about backing up, and rely solely on the wide view option in backing up. Never an issue for the past 9 months. Really like it. Don't use the other views most of the time and estimate how close I am after the first few times getting to know the camera. It's a bit off, but again you learn

Old 03-15-2015, 12:34 AM
Awesome, thanks so much for the replies. It definitely takes some getting used to!

Old 03-15-2015, 06:36 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SR45
Took only a bit of time, but now I don't worry about backing up, and rely solely on the wide view option in backing up. Never an issue for the past 9 months. Really like it. Don't use the other views most of the time and estimate how close I am after the first few times getting to know the camera. It's a bit off, but again you learn
This… exactly! I still do a quick scan of the outside mirrors, but the rear wide view covers even more.

Old 03-18-2015, 04:00 PM
5 Year Member
I find that I usually have about a foot of space left if the camera is showing that I'm right up against something.

Old 03-18-2015, 04:48 PM
5 Year Member
I have found that it is quite handy when you're in a shopping center parking lot and surrounded by big SUVs on both sides. It allows you to have a peek into the lane in both directions as you back out.

Also I have fallen into the habit of briefly cleaning off the camera lens during bad weather before I get in the car.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:10 AM
Originally Posted by Silver Surfer
I have found that it is quite handy when you're in a shopping center parking lot and surrounded by big SUVs on both sides. It allows you to have a peek into the lane in both directions as you back out.

Also I have fallen into the habit of briefly cleaning off the camera lens during bad weather before I get in the car.
Agreed.....with the parking lot suggestion. And I'm also constantly wiping the road salt off of it or my view would be blotchy at best and pretty much obscured at worst. Can't wait until they're done salting.