3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2issues: squeaky rear and bad mic

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 11:52 AM
2issues: squeaky rear and bad mic

I have about 1,110 miles on a black EX. Overall I really like this car! I traded in a 2003 BMW 530i and have no regrets about my decision. My son drives a 2007 and has great performance and reliability with his for over 130k miles, which greatly influenced my purchase decision.
I took my car to the dealer today for two issues. The main concern is a squeaky rear end, that happens when the car settles down after braking. The noise occurs when stopping at intersections or parking, when the rear is reloaded after the stop. I was able to easily replicate the noise multiple times for the technician. He was unfamiliar with the sound. I subsequently was told by the service rep that the technician reported driving another Fit to make sure it was a normal sound (it isn't) and also he had tightened "everything he could" to no avail. The service rep arranged for a rental vehicle while they continued to diagnose and repair the problem.
The other issue was a non-responsive voice recognition. I thought it was due to a software glitch, since I have recently updated to iOS8.3 on my iPhone 6. It turns out it is a bad mic, which was ordered and will be replaced tomorrow.
I've done a lot of searches but haven't seen anyone else with this same rear end problem. Anyone have any experience with this issue?
Also, I'm wondering what my options are if told by the dealer that they cannot solve the problem.
Thanks for listening and for all the good info on this site. I assure you these relatively minor (I hope!) issues in now way curb my enthusiasm for the Fit and I still highly recommend this great car.

Last edited by Khalilj; 05-09-2015 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Spelling correction
Old 04-28-2015, 05:29 PM
UPDATE: The rear shock was replaced and the microphone was also replaced by the dealer. I picked up the car today (the car was kept overnight for diagnosis and replacement) and all seems to be well. The service at Autonation Honda (Douglasville, GA) was very good and as of now I have no issues.

Old 04-29-2015, 06:36 AM
Thanks for sharing, its always nice to hear good things about a dealership and about problem resolution.

Old 05-09-2015, 05:46 PM
Same problem with the squeak!

I have the SAME problem with the squeak. Took it to my Sierra Honda dealership in Monrovia CA. First they "adjusted" the shocks. Then the technician told me it was stuff moving around in my cargo area. On the third visit, when it was still squeaking, the service rep told me it was totally normal, it was the brakes on the rear and he could "make any Fit make that sound, it is a characteristic of the car." What he calls a characteristic, I said, I would call a design flaw. The mechanic took it and adjusted the brakes. At first it seemed fine. But halfway home, at a stop sign, it squeaked and squeaks every time I stop particularly if moving at steady forward speed. Not surer what to do at this point but I am going to call the service manager.

Old 05-09-2015, 07:09 PM
It's interesting you posted. The day after the shock was replaced, I noticed the noise was still there. I called my service rep and reported the situation. I've been unable to get it back in for service yet due to travel. There's an appointment scheduled for Monday. I explained I will be out of town for the entire week, so they will have plenty of time to investigate, consult advisors, order parts and do whatever it takes to resolve the issue. I'll remain optimistic that they'll resolve the issue on this extended service visit and will post what the outcome is, one way or another.
Iztybrn, I hope your issue is resolved. Thanks for posted and let us know how things work out.

Old 05-09-2015, 07:19 PM
Squeak of doom

I hope other Fit owners will chime in here. I want to test the rep's assertion that this is a normal sound and to be expected. To the community at large: When you drive your Fit at a good speed and come to enough of a stop that the car settles back on its haunches -- you know, when the forward motion stops and it settles -- do you get a loud squeak? How loud depends on the speed at which the car is moving and how quickly it decelerates. It is driving me CRAZZZZYY.

I called the manager of the service department today and am dropping the car off Tuesday morning. They can have it for the whole week until they figure the damn thing out. It is either a flaw in the design which can be addressed like many another spring/brake squeak, or something needs to be replaced.

The other problem I bough it in for? When I would take a hard right turn the car would decide I had opened the door, the dome light would come on, it would beep as if the door had been opened and the door would unlock itself! This was finally repaired (after the third visit) by the mechanic moving the strike plate further in to the car. The rep also tried to tell me this was just a characteristic of the car. I replied politely that I didn't buy that at all -- especially because when I asked he said he'd never had anyone else complain about it. Believe me, both these things are so irritating (and the door dangerous) that anyone in his or her right mind would complain.

I do enjoy the car, but between this and the shitty paint job that's so brittle it chips if you breathe on it too hard, there are some serious fit and finish issues that seriously make me wonder if I made a good a choice buying it. (Even the rep was complaining about how shit the paint is -- I think we need to make a concerted effort to call Honda on it, and perhaps we'll get a paint recall a la the thousands of Civics they had to repaint a few years back).

Old 05-09-2015, 08:16 PM
5 Year Member
In answer to your question, mine does not squeak.

Old 05-10-2015, 01:48 AM
Yes mine squeaks every time there is a weight distribution change. Squeaks getting in and out of the car too, stopping, slowing down, changing lanes, etc.
It has been getting worse lately.

Old 05-12-2015, 06:27 AM
Fortunately, no squeaks here. But I would also find that very annoying, I hate squeaks and creaks and rattles.......

Old 05-12-2015, 12:39 PM
I just put 3000 miles on my fit and put some subs in the back around 1000 miles. I started hearing a squeek/crunchy sound after I put them in especially when I would go over speed bumps. I was cleaning my car a few days ago trying to vacuum out dog hair and I figured out what mine was from. In the rear of the hatch there's a floor cover that you can lift up. There is a piece of black styrofoam stuff that holds the tools for the spare tire. My subs sit over part of it and it squeaks when I go over speed bumps. I thought my shocks could be defective or something at first as well. Not sure if you guys have the same problem but that's what it was for me. Damn that styrofoam.

Name:  unnamed-3_zpswy5w95xj.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  149.4 KB

Last edited by Greyson; 05-12-2015 at 03:17 PM.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the tip. My car is at the dealer's shop now. I left it there yesterday for the week and am awaiting an update in a couple of days on what the fix is/was. If no solution is apparent, I suspect we will have some very pointed discussions on what the Plan B options are.
I looked at the foam storage piece and it seemed to be secure, with nothing rubbing it. The spare was also securely fastened. But if I had the car right now I might remove both just to eliminate them as suspects.

Old 05-18-2015, 01:25 PM
All seems well, finally! I got the car back from the dealer this morning. The tech diagnosed the cuplrit as a loose spare tire. The service rep at Autonation Honda, a very nice young lady, said after the problem was determined after another test ride, the tire adjusted and retitghtend and the noise was gone. I verified this before leaving the lot. So I'm a happy camper once again. Back to loving the Fit.