3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

buzzy squeaking noise in headliner

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 09:19 PM
buzzy squeaking noise in headliner

Hi!
New owner 2915 EX 6 speed manual, first post. I did a search but didn't find anything, so I suspect my problem is a one off - darnit ! But I’ll ask anyway with fingers crossed. I took delivery about two weeks ago, love the little bugger, but there's one problem. I have a buzzy squeaking sound coming from inside the headliner where it meets the door pillar on the drivers side. It's not real loud, with A/C going full tilt the buzzy squeaking sound is just detectable, on medium fan speed it’s pretty noticeable, windows up fan on low it’s clear as a bell, but not real loud, to give an idea how loud it is.

The sound is coming from near the junction of door pillar and headliner. I can reach behind me with my right hand while driving and stop the sound completely with finger pressure at the top of the door pillar, or on the headliner near where it meets the door pillar. There are two things that make me think the sound is coming from the headliner not the door pillar - 1. pressure on the headliner stops the squeaking with about half the pressure the door pillar needs. 2. the sound may be related to the moon roof install in some way, the squeak seems to diminish a lot as soon as the moon roof begins to open.

I am not looking forward to the dealer tearing into this, it could be a drawn out nightmare. Anyone else experience this, or have an idea what it might be?
Dave

Old 07-11-2015, 10:52 PM
Is this what you're experiencing or is mine a completely different problem? Because I have a buzzing noise from the dashboard.

https://mega.co.nz/#!nwhBVLDS!PjvPLG...Au58-vosEIJhwA

I've uploaded it on mega, too lazy to upload it on youtube.

Old 07-11-2015, 11:07 PM
Yeah, it's different. It's pretty constant on anything other than perfectly smooth road surface. Thanks tho

Old 07-12-2015, 12:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitfix
I am not looking forward to the dealer tearing into this, it could be a drawn out nightmare. Anyone else experience this, or have an idea what it might be?
Dave
No experience but my idea would be for you to take your Fit to the dealer and have them troubleshoot it. It could be a simple fix.

Old 07-12-2015, 01:55 PM
I hope you are correct, I'm going in first thing tomorrow morning.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:44 PM
5 Year Member
Mexican goat sucker

Chupacabra in head liner?
So, seriously, did dealer find anything unusual??

Old 07-19-2015, 06:59 AM
I took it in Monday, but knew I was leaving Friday, driving, for a 2 week trip. Service manager said half a day, so I decided to wait till I'm back in case it gets more complicated. I add an update when I have it.

This is my first multi-day road trip in the Fit - I'm just loving it.

Old 07-03-2016, 04:18 PM
I have a 2015 Fit EX, with about 27,000 kilometres on it. It recently developed a rattle above the headliner, just behind the "B" pillar on the drivers side. Drove me crazy for about 2 weeks. I finally got mad and decided to fix it. It was actually pretty easy. I just pulled down the weatherstripping around the top of the rear door. It just slides off, and it's easy to put back into position afterwards. That exposed the edge of the headliner, just in front of the grab handle, and I was able to see a couple of bolt heads, above the headliner. That was in the area of the rattle, so I wondered if one of them was the problem. I actually had enough room to pull down the headliner a little bit, and get a 10 mm ratchet on those bolt heads and tighten them. The rattle is gone!!!!!! Took about 5 minutes to fix it.

Last edited by FitsMeGood; 07-03-2016 at 04:21 PM.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:55 AM
Original poster here. My Fit has been parked in Florida and I have been in Massachusetts, and the buzzy squeak was never resolved until, hopefully, yesterday. I did try the fix offered above by FitsMeGood, but alas no joy. I'm on a one week Florida visit and took it to the dealer yesterday. It made the entire trip from dealer to home without a single squeak. However I leave again today, so I won't have the opportunity for an extended test until next trip to FL, but I'm hopeful. This dealer, Braman on Lake Worth Road, seems to have an excellent service department.

In case there are other folks searching on this issue, here are the service techs notes:

"test drove vehicle, there is a loud very noticeable squeak/rattle coming from the headliner from what sounds like above the drivers head rest. removed grab handles on drivers side, front sunvisor, a pillar, and b pillar. test drove vehicle, noise is gone. pulled headliner down on drivers side, no obvious visual problems. reassembled all components, test drove, noise is back. while driving pushed up on headliner right next to b pillar, noise went away. removed b pillar and insulated with felt tape, reinstalled b pillar, test drove, noise still present. closest thing in that area is drivers rear curtain airbag. torqued rear curtain airbag bolts and adjust rear curtain airbag bracket. reinstalled all components again, test drove, noise is gone, driver's rear curtain airbag was the cause of the noise."

Old 08-02-2017, 08:40 AM
5 Year Member
Interesting. I had a similar noise behind my headliner. In my case it turned out to be the wire from the antenna rattling against the headliner. The cure was to reroute and secure the wire.

Old 08-02-2017, 05:30 PM
I am having the same issue in my 2015. I think I might try fixing it myself with the info provided. Thank You.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:23 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
just be happy u found the source of the noise. some squeaks and rattles are impossible to locate.

Old 08-05-2017, 08:41 AM
5 Year Member
Here is what I would or might try, but you think I am crazy. I would wet that area with a garden hose. That area will shrink very little after drying. By shrinking, the noise may go away. Try it , it may work.

Old 08-05-2017, 09:16 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
hummmm not sure if good idea to dampen the area due to wire harness and possible SRS?