3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Oil Pan Leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 09:51 PM
5 Year Member
Oil Pan Leak

Hello, I did a quick search but didn't see a similar situation reported.

I picked up my Fit in November of last year. Quite enjoying it so far and so is the dog. Give me a glass hatch that opens and it's the perfect car.

Anyway, I had the first oil change this June. The dealer indicated signs of a 'heavy oil leak'. They couldn't isolate the exact area so cleaned the car and asked me to bring it back if I saw signs of a leak again. I got under the car a week later and found a leak from the oil pan. I returned to the dealer and they removed the oil pan and applied a new gasket. About a two weeks later it was leaking again. I returned once more and they replaced the oil pan claiming it was not flat. A few weeks later and I pop under there and see it's leaking again.

I intend to return to the dealer this week. They'll fix it eventually, and frankly the world has bigger problems than a warrantied oil leak, but I wonder any harm which could be caused to the motor by what amounts to two months of leaking oil. Levels have always looked good and I can't really come up with any way that the situation would harm the motor but thought I'd ask anyway.

Thoughts? Anyone with similar experience?

Thanks.

Old 08-20-2015, 10:54 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
If your oil level is sound i wouldn't worry about it. should be checking oil levels once a month or so anyway, right?

Old 08-20-2015, 11:23 AM
The oil loss will probably not be an issue, but I'd be angered over the fact that parts of my brand new Honda are now covered in oil.

Two tries to fix an oil leak indicates that the dealer is likely barking up the wrong tree. It could be something else dripping down onto the edge of the oil pan and around the pan to where the leak is apparent.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
The oil loss will probably not be an issue, but I'd be angered over the fact that parts of my brand new Honda are now covered in oil.

Two tries to fix an oil leak indicates that the dealer is likely barking up the wrong tree. It could be something else dripping down onto the edge of the oil pan and around the pan to where the leak is apparent.
I would tend to agree with GeorgeL. It sounds like they are taking the "replace the cheapest parts first" approach. First the gasket, then the oil pan, and now they will need to spend some expensive tech time to actually track the leak down.

I would also make sure they clean the oil from the bottom of your car. Probably not as big an issue as say a car with some sort of undercoating (my old 1995 Volvo came from the factory with such an undercoating, or sound absorbing stuff as they called it then), as oil will eat away at the stuff undercoating is made of. Of course, all manner of road dust and dirt will stick to oil, so best get it cleaned off (easy to do when the car is up on a lift).

Old 08-21-2015, 12:00 PM
5 Year Member
I would bring it to a different Honda Dealership or pay an independent service garage to look for the oil leak.

Old 08-21-2015, 01:03 PM
It sounds like they are taking the "replace the cheapest parts first" approach. First the gasket, then the oil pan, and now they will need to spend some expensive tech time to actually track the leak down.
You forgot the most important part, which is they are taking up YOUR expensive time too! But nevermind that...

Old 08-21-2015, 06:55 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the responses all. I'm inclined to think they're misdiagnosing it due to some elaborate oil trail. The dealer happens to be across the street from my office. Part of the reason I bought the car was simplicity of service! Drop it off and walk into work. haha.

Old 08-21-2015, 10:42 PM
5 Year Member
It could be the sealant for the timing chain cover . It will run down to the pan making it look like the pan is leaking . Know this from experience with a few new TOYOTAs we had . The sealant from the factory was of poor quality . They replaced it with Toyota black form in place gasket ( F.I.P.G. ) sealer and no more leaks .

Last edited by Odie; 08-21-2015 at 10:46 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:41 PM
5 Year Member
Dealer has diagnosed the leak as the rear main seal. No news on the next steps.

As a side note, I have a '15 civic as a rental. I have no idea why someone would pay more for the civic!

Old 08-26-2015, 01:13 AM
Originally Posted by Scotty2h
Dealer has diagnosed the leak as the rear main seal.
Tell your dealer that I hereby claim my $100 remote diagnoses fee!

It doesn't say much for the mechanics who worked on it before that they missed the oil trail from the seal the first two times they worked on it. That sort of thing isn't too hard to find on an otherwise squeaky-clean new Honda engine.

Old 08-26-2015, 03:25 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jmsc
I would bring it to a different Honda Dealership or pay an independent service garage to look for the oil leak.
Going to an independent while still under warranty is just plain bad advice.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by badself
Going to an independent while still under warranty is just plain bad advice.
Only if they do more than just "look", but...

I wouldn't worry about damage to the engine from loss of oil as long as you check it frequently (which you should be doing anyway). You would be amazed at how big a mess even a TINY amount of oil can cause. I say this as a biker/Harley-Davidson owner.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:11 PM
Doesn't the lemon law come into play here? With all the different problems I had on mine, luckily none have repeated themselves 3 times so I can't get the lemon law on my side but you should be able to! I am seriously thinking of filing a complaint with better business bureau or something for the 16 + hours I wasted getting my car to a for sale condition.

Old 08-27-2015, 02:42 PM
5 Year Member
We don't have the lemon law up here in Canada. I'm not too worried about it either way. Fixed now and cost me nothing.

Need to go back again though. They had to do an alignment after dropping the transmission as I guess it all ties into the subframe. They handed me the alignment sheet with the rear left toe 0.15 degrees out of tolerance. In bold red letters at the bottom of the page it reads:

"One or more values are not within specification. Tire wear, handling and safety problems may arise"

Now this value was red on the before and after but every other value except for front right camber and front right and left caster were changed!

Old 08-27-2015, 02:49 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Scotty2h
Dealer has diagnosed the leak as the rear main seal. No news on the next steps.

As a side note, I have a '15 civic as a rental. I have no idea why someone would pay more for the civic!
i agree on the civic. my dealer gave us a '15 civic lx (?) as a rental. i drove it but man, IT SUCKED! i couldn't believe there was a honda badge on it, felt like a corolla or something.

Old 08-27-2015, 04:47 PM
5 Year Member
Talked to the dealer about my rear toe at 0.39 vs 0.24 spec set by Honda. Turns out we have a solid rear beam. Ha. I've never had a car like this. Probably common knowledge around here. They said I could have knocked it out on a pothole but I suspect it would have to be one heck of a pot hole. I'm more inclined to believe it came like this from the factory but with 13,000 km on the clock I don't know how I'd convince them of that.

Old 08-27-2015, 06:19 PM
most likely came like that...

Wait isn't a Civic in the same class/meant to compete with the Corolla...?
Every corolla I've driven I've thoroughly enjoyed for what it is...
1999... 2004... 2014...