3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

I wanna go fast, i wanns go fast

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 10:56 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CommanderSlug
One redline per day keeps the mechanic away.

Keeps the smile installed, too.

Old 09-04-2015, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by Wallygator
It's not an automatic transmission. It's a CVT and again there is no shifting involved. In "S" mode the computer holds the band or chain in the CVT in one position. When the paddle is flicked it moves the band or chain to another position. This gives the simulation of a shift similar to an auto trans. But it is only a simulation.

Also we are not arguing but are simply having a polite discussion about our cars. If you would like to add something meaningful or join in, by all means please do.
Hi Wallygator,

I partially agree with you.
I own a CVT Fit and find the full manual mode useless, it goes against the CVT concept, BUT I find the paddles extremely usefull.

I drive allways in D mode and constantly use the left paddle to force the CVT to choose a lower ratio (see, I didn't use the word 'shift') so to force engine brakeing when I aproach a red light or go down a slope, using brakes as little as possible.

I also use it in the same way when I see I will need brisk acceleration to avoid lag when flooring the gas. After a few seconds the CVT goes into auto mode doing it's CVT thing again.

This is my first automatic (I'm 56 years old) so maybe I'm translating my manual driving habits into the CVT behaviour.

Last edited by gusvera; 09-04-2015 at 01:03 PM.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:35 AM
Originally Posted by gusvera
Hi Wallygator,

I partially agree with you.
I own a CVT Fit and find the full manual mode useless, it goes against the CVT concept, BUT I find the paddles extremely usefull.

I drive allways in D mode and constantly use the left paddle to force the CVT to choose a lower ratio (see, I didn't use the word 'shift') so to force engine brakeing when I aproach a red light or go down a slope, using brakes as little as possible.

I also use it in the same way when I see I will need brisk acceleration to avoid lag when flooring the gas. After a few seconds the CVT goes into auto mode doing it's CVT thing again.

This is my first automatic (I'm 56 years old) so maybe I'm translating my manual driving habits into the CVT behaviour.
That's a great way to save the brakes on the CVT version. Good idea!

Old 09-07-2015, 04:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
Well, "fast" is certainly relative, but, IME, it's much for fun to drive a slow car fast than to drive a fast car slow.

Nothing like having 500 HP under the hood, and no place you can use it.

Originally Posted by Dick W
Until we moved across the ocean, I had a 2009 BMW 135i. Effortlessly crazy fast. After owning it for a while, and upon internalizing the notion that it really was possible to drive too fast, I found myself driving everything a little more calmly. There is something to be said for knowing it's there and it would if you asked it to.

Funny that these comments are one right after another. My "weekend" car is a 135i FBO + Meth. I find myself just calmly cruising in that car because in just a few seconds it goes from 5 mph to "oops i lost my license" all in 2nd gear no shifting needed. Sure every once in a while the "i'm gonna poop myself" feeling is pretty cool... but...

The Fit is a bigger joy to drive hard (esp w the stick) without worrying about:

a) will I keep my license?
and
b) will I kill myself and/or somebody else?

Being fast is cool and all, but testing a car's capabilities without having to go triple digits, executing a "perfect" shift with Honda's great transmission, taking the Fit's crappy-ass tires to their limit carving a tight curve while barely having to break the speed limit... that's a different league of fun.

500 HP belongs on the track (which itself is, admittedly, yet another league of fun, even with a Fit, and highly recommended!) That's why you see older folks with these ridiculously overpowered muscle cars driving their beasts like grandpas. To play around on public roads with that power is dangerous, foolish, and irresponsible. But with the Fit... the game's on with every commute!

Old 09-08-2015, 09:21 AM
I’ve got my Fit for getting to work and back, and my Trans Am for going fast!

Old 09-09-2015, 11:55 AM
5 Year Member
The only vehicle I've owned over 500 hp was a 2006 SRT 10 Viper powered quad cab truck. .Yes I was one of the older ones driving around slow most of the time but it's nice knowing you can really go if you want/have to. It was a special ride for a lot of reasons looks, options, handling ,rarity and of course performance but after 3 years of EPA 9 to 12 of 93 octane I just wanted to spend less to go someplace. I get a kick now out of how much better milage the Fit gets than any other car I have ever owned. .

Old 09-10-2015, 09:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Cody Richter
All in all, what's the best way to screw around without damaging the motor? paddle shift or not? Traction control on or off for driving like an idiot?
Turn traction control OFF!

No need to paddle shift to go faster in the CVT.

Do the --> Myxal Two-Step

The car accelerates faster and uses LESS max torque than it does stock to do it (Because Myxal Two-Stepping skips over the midrange torque peak). I know because I've tested over 100X (Observed on my Android torque pro and numerous track slips at different tracks, temps, etc).

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 09-10-2015 at 09:30 PM.