3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

iPhone 6S and Hondalink connect broken

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 08:59 AM
5 Year Member
iPhone 6S and Hondalink connect broken

So I just upgraded from a 5s on 8.4 to s 6s iPhone on iOS 9.2 and now hondalink connect doesn't work. It says the app can't connect. Has anyone else experienced this?

I spoke to apple tech support who said because they released iOS 9, 9.1 and 9.2 so fast to each other most car manufacturers are having a hard time keeping up. So I emailed Honda and this was my response.

"Good afternoon Mr. Fake,

Thank you for contacting Honda Canada.

We are sorry to learn of your recent concern regarding your cell phone
compatibility with Hondalink connect application, and wish to assure you of
our interest. We have created a file and documented your feedback.
Regrettably, the connect application is no longer available, only the
hondalink application is accessible.

In order to better assist you with your vehicle's HandsFreeLink, we
recommend contacting the HondaLink support hotline, which will allow you to
troubleshoot. The hotline can be accessed by calling 1-855-888-5465. Their
hours of operation are Monday thru Friday from 8:00 a.m to 6:00 p.m ET.

Thank you again, Mr. Fake, for contacting Honda Canada and allowing us
the opportunity to respond.

Regards,

HONDA CANADA INC."

I have no idea what to take away from that response other than suck it up princess we'll fix it if we feel like it.
Starting to really some buyers remorse here.

Anyone else experiencing problems with the connect app? I have the latest update so I'm wondering if it was iOS 9 or the app update or just my new phone that broke it.

TG

Old 10-17-2015, 01:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TallguyNB
So I just upgraded from a 5s on 8.4 to s 6s iPhone on iOS 9.2

I have no idea what to take away from that response other than suck it up princess we'll fix it if we feel like it.
Starting to really some buyers remorse here.

Anyone else experiencing problems with the connect app? I have the latest update so I'm wondering if it was iOS 9 or the app update or just my new phone that broke it.

TG
I haven't upgraded to the iPhone 6S yet, but my 6 with iOS 9.x (gone thru the progression) has yet to fail. Honda salesman hooked it up May 2, 2015. iOS went from 8x to 9.2 in the meantime.

Old 10-17-2015, 06:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KentFinn
I haven't upgraded to the iPhone 6S yet, but my 6 with iOS 9.x (gone thru the progression) has yet to fail. Honda salesman hooked it up May 2, 2015. iOS went from 8x to 9.2 in the meantime.
Thank you! At least I know my phone is the likely suspect now.

Old 10-17-2015, 11:33 PM
5 Year Member
I've been wondering if there has ever been a head unit update by Honda, in order to fix issues such as device OS upgrades. Does this mean that the HU for 2015/2016 Fits are stuck at IOS and Android levels present when you initially buy the car? Has any Honda head unit been upgraded ever?

Auto manufactuers are so out of step with smartphone manufacturers, with Android being the most problematic. Smartphone OS are upgraded every year or so, and this will not change. How will auto manufacturers respond?

If IOS9 is the issue, are you stuck with your head unit at IOS8, even though you bought a 2015 Fit and the 2015 calendar year has yet to end? I guess it would be worse if you bought a 2016 Fit as the 2016 calendar year has not yet started.

As far as I know, unlike Ford, there is no option to download a manufacturer update and reflash the Honda head unit. A friend's kid has a Ford and the Ford update system worked well for him. Does Honda have an upgrade path for their head units?

Last edited by TorontoBoy; 10-17-2015 at 11:40 PM.
Old 10-18-2015, 01:01 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TorontoBoy
I've been wondering if there has ever been a head unit update by Honda, in order to fix issues such as device OS upgrades. Does this mean that the HU for 2015/2016 Fits are stuck at IOS and Android levels present when you initially buy the car? Has any Honda head unit been upgraded ever?

Auto manufactuers are so out of step with smartphone manufacturers, with Android being the most problematic. Smartphone OS are upgraded every year or so, and this will not change. How will auto manufacturers respond?

If IOS9 is the issue, are you stuck with your head unit at IOS8, even though you bought a 2015 Fit and the 2015 calendar year has yet to end? I guess it would be worse if you bought a 2016 Fit as the 2016 calendar year has not yet started.

As far as I know, unlike Ford, there is no option to download a manufacturer update and reflash the Honda head unit. A friend's kid has a Ford and the Ford update system worked well for him. Does Honda have an upgrade path for their head units?
Go back to my response to TallguyNB in thread. HIS iPhone 6S may be at fault but the iOS on my iPhone6 has changed has changed several times since May 2, 2015. The Fit was manufactured Dec. 2014. The fault may be the combination of HIS 6S. and HIS Fit. A one off, not generic.

Old 10-18-2015, 09:13 PM
Why should auto makers upgrade their head units? You've already bought the car and having it not work makes it more likely that you would want to buy a new car that works with your latest phone (for a few months, anyway!)

I think that the manufacturers have read their market really well.

The only way to win this game is not to play. Your phone need not become part of your car and vice versa!

Old 10-19-2015, 08:52 AM
5 Year Member
Head units should be designed to be easily upgradeable by the consumer. As car and software technologies merge, their products and practices also need to merge. Offering HDMI, CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility should not mean that the car owner will be stuck with a specific level of technology for the duration of the product. Cars are a relatively long lived product of at least 10 years, while smartphone technology is at most 2 years. While CarPlay and Android Auto have been around for only a few years, it should be clear from recent history that their base code can and will, on a relatively consistent schedule, receive upgrades. Honda is a smart company and should take this into account when designing their head units. Other manufacturers such as Ford and VW, have this ability, so there is no big design stretch here.

No software is perfect, that is for sure. Bugs come up after shipping and for ongoing security of the product, may need to be fixed right away. Right away means before the bad guys use the bug exploit for their own benefit. Ubuntu, Windows Update and IOS are a few examples where updates can occur on a daily basis, if need be. Sooner or later Honda and all other car manufacturers will need to adopt this flexible update schedule.

Telling buyers that you bought a cassette player and you can't upgrade will work for a physical product, but when your head unit is controlled by software buyers will expect, and rightly so, the ability to easily upgrade their unit. If it cannot be upgraded, then the design parameters and foresight were lacking.

FYI: For the record I did not think Honda was up to the task of upgrading their HUs, so I opted out of the 7" touch screen. The unit seems to have insufficient software support and unusable functionality. I'd rather have a HU with an older design that works well, than a more updated one that seems to be stuck backlevel of the current smartphone standard. Backlevel to me is a security risk, new car or not.

Last edited by TorontoBoy; 10-19-2015 at 08:57 AM.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:11 AM
I have a few questions if anyone familiar with Apple / Honda Link can help me out. To start I am an Android man and the only apple product I have owned was a first gen Ipod touch, that still works to this day I might add. (great job apple)

At any rate my wife purchased a new Iphone 6s because it was reported to work via Honda link in the Fit. I have not done me research yet and was hopping to save time if one of you find ladies/gentlemen could fill me in.

She needs a $60 app to link the phone and use maps through the car. We thought this was a one time fee, however she thinks it is a yearly subscription... anyone know what one is accurate? Also for GPS is this only apple maps compatible, or would standard Google maps, or even Waze work via this method.

She also stated she needed a $100 cable and would need to plug her phone in to get it to work through the cars touch screen. This sounds wrong. Everything is Bluetooth now, why would Honda force outdated tech on us.

I have to admit I was rather displeased to learn that my android was not compatible with Honda link. And even though Honda stated it would be an update for the 2015 model they have since revised that statement to something along the lines of "android users can go pound sand". I would be even further displeased to learn that the Iphone my wife went out of he way to pickup is in the same boat.

With all that in mind, I still feel this is still a great car, however one of the selling points of spending more to get a new 2015 instead of a used 2013 was the upgraded tech and Honda link functions.

Thank you very much for your time,

Old 10-23-2015, 12:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by EcoBoost

She needs a $60 app to link the phone and use maps through the car...

She also stated she needed a $100 cable and would need to plug her phone in to get it to work through the cars touch screen...

I have to admit I was rather displeased to learn that my android was not compatible with Honda link. And even though Honda stated it would be an update for the 2015 model they have since revised that statement to something along the lines of "android users can go pound sand". I would be even further displeased to learn that the Iphone my wife went out of he way to pickup is in the same boat.

With all that in mind, I still feel this is still a great car, however one of the selling points of spending more to get a new 2015 instead of a used 2013 was the upgraded tech and Honda link functions..,
As an Android guy I've stayed out of the CarPlay discussions, but know there have been a couple of threads on this topic. Something to do with the HDMI port, proprietary cables and $100/yearly nav subscriptions. The HDMI port goes blank once the car is put into gear, but some guy on here is working to defeat this.

OT: Yes, the lack of Android support is bad. Teasers from Honda in 2015 may have encouraged some slight hope that the 2016s would have something for Android, but alas, nada. Telling Android users to go "pound sand" is an appropriate interpretation of their message.

Old 10-23-2015, 04:03 PM
Haha, Thanks for the support Toronto.

Anyone in here an Apple junkie that can give me an idea of how their phones connect and most importantly if that Honda Link app has a yearly subscription cost. My wife is not exactly tech savvy, so I don't necessarily trust she is right and has to pay every year.
Btw, she loves that Iphone already, and I love not having to hunt all over the house to find where she took my charger and left it last. (I honestly zip tied it to a power strip one day because I was tired of her taking it from the bedroom!)

Anyhow if anyone could enlighten me to the hows, whys, and why not's of the Iphone, I would appreciate it.

Thanks Everyone,

Old 10-23-2015, 04:13 PM
5 Year Member
Smile

Sure thats easy. The iphone requires an Iphone 'Lightning Digital Adapter'
you can see one here.

Apple Lightning Digital AV Adapter | Walmart.ca

Along with this it requires a small hdmi cable you can get at any dollar store, it doesnt need to be long.

You plug the adapter into the phone, the hdmi cable into the adapter and the other end into the car's hdmi port, then the lighting cable that came with the phone into the adapter and the other end into the cars usb port.

When in park you can use the hdmi screen.
When driving you can use honda approved apps such as Aha, Connect, or Navigation which is $60. I don't believe there are yearly costs to update navigation. Now, that said, the navigation app i'm told sucks... hard. I wouldn't buy it, you're better off just programming in the address you want into the google maps app you can download from the apple app store and let it navigate you via voice prompts. Its much easier to use and a lot less clunky.

On the iphone she'll need to download the 'Hondalink launcher' , 'connect', 'aha' apps seperately along with navigation.

Once connected properly, her screen will have two arrows appear on the right side of the touch screen, she can press those to go into the connect app or the large connect button from the main menu, then she'll have to unlock her phone and select 'Allow' before the app will load in the car, so the phone has permission to hand over control.

Originally Posted by EcoBoost
Haha, Thanks for the support Toronto.

Anyone in here an Apple junkie that can give me an idea of how their phones connect and most importantly if that Honda Link app has a yearly subscription cost. My wife is not exactly tech savvy, so I don't necessarily trust she is right and has to pay every year.
Btw, she loves that Iphone already, and I love not having to hunt all over the house to find where she took my charger and left it last. (I honestly zip tied it to a power strip one day because I was tired of her taking it from the bedroom!)

Anyhow if anyone could enlighten me to the hows, whys, and why not's of the Iphone, I would appreciate it.

Thanks Everyone,

Old 11-12-2015, 11:16 AM
5 Year Member

I just got this reply from Honda Canada via facebook.