3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Am I getting a good price on this 2016 EX-L

Old 12-05-2015, 04:06 AM
If you'd like to save a little money, reconsider the dealer added accessories. I'm not saying they're not useful, just that you probably don't want to finance them and pay more in the long run for something you can buy outright later and possibly of better quality. Lose the wheel locks. The OEM ones are easy to defeat. Just spend $50 or so on decent ones later. Consider dropping the OEM floor mats and trying out a set of Husky Liners. Do you really need door edge film? Unless you're the type to slam your doors into people in parking lots, it's almost useless. The car is much smaller than I thought and I don't find myself having trouble opening the doors too wide as to hit anything. That's just a thought for driving down the initial pricing. Another thing is to talk to them about exactly what the doc fees entail and why they deem them neccessary. My dealership didn't do doc fees but another that I went to for a quote charged $300 which is quite higher than the Arkansas state average of $110. These fees are set by the dealer and can be waived by the dealer but is a pain to accomplish. The real place to save is on interest rates. Try asking to see any offers from finance companies in writing so you can know that the dealers aren't quoting a few percent higher and pocketing the difference. Between the changes in dealer options and some small negotiating on the doc fees, you may be able the get below $22k that you are offering. If not, try walking out. They may be able to sell that car to someone else at that price but unless you have to have it today, you can probably shop for what you want at a rate you are happy with. My dealer got my car shipped in from 100 miles away and gave me a loaner for 3 days until it was ready. Buying a car shouldn't have to be a painful experience if you walk in knowing what you want and have your affairs in order before you sign anything.

Old 12-05-2015, 08:34 AM
5 Year Member
have you looked for 2015s?

Old 12-05-2015, 08:55 AM
5 Year Member
Be more patient as there is no rush now. More Fits are arriving from Japan to supplement those from Mexico, so tight supply should not be a problem now. Play hardball. It seems your dealer is unwilling to be flexible, so find someone else that will.

There is no need to give into a high doc fee. I also would not get the accessories from the dealer. A set of Husky mats would be the same price but a better quality mat than the Honda all seasons. Shop around.

Old 12-05-2015, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by BeauDiddley
If you'd like to save a little money, reconsider the dealer added accessories. I'm not saying they're not useful, just that you probably don't want to finance them and pay more in the long run for something you can buy outright later and possibly of better quality. Lose the wheel locks. The OEM ones are easy to defeat. Just spend $50 or so on decent ones later. Consider dropping the OEM floor mats and trying out a set of Husky Liners. Do you really need door edge film? Unless you're the type to slam your doors into people in parking lots, it's almost useless. The car is much smaller than I thought and I don't find myself having trouble opening the doors too wide as to hit anything. That's just a thought for driving down the initial pricing. Another thing is to talk to them about exactly what the doc fees entail and why they deem them neccessary. My dealership didn't do doc fees but another that I went to for a quote charged $300 which is quite higher than the Arkansas state average of $110. These fees are set by the dealer and can be waived by the dealer but is a pain to accomplish. The real place to save is on interest rates. Try asking to see any offers from finance companies in writing so you can know that the dealers aren't quoting a few percent higher and pocketing the difference. Between the changes in dealer options and some small negotiating on the doc fees, you may be able the get below $22k that you are offering. If not, try walking out. They may be able to sell that car to someone else at that price but unless you have to have it today, you can probably shop for what you want at a rate you are happy with. My dealer got my car shipped in from 100 miles away and gave me a loaner for 3 days until it was ready. Buying a car shouldn't have to be a painful experience if you walk in knowing what you want and have your affairs in order before you sign anything.
Thank you for the detailed response. You're right, I should consider losing the accessories.. In all of my life I've never known anyone nor personally experienced a situation where the wheels, tires, or rims have been taken off a car so not even sure why I actually need the wheel locks. This will be my very first independent car purchase so I think I am just trying to cover all my bases.

My only concern is the floor mats. Entering winter season and i live where it snows a good bit... I can't have slush all over my carpeting... So if I don't get the mats and cargo tray from the dealer I'll need to quickly order some from eBay or wherever this month.

Old 12-05-2015, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by bigbacon
have you looked for 2015s?
Initially yes but I feel more secure buying something brand new. I found a lot of problematic threads about the 2015 quality so thought the 2016 would have more stable design and construction.

Originally Posted by TorontoBoy
Be more patient as there is no rush now. More Fits are arriving from Japan to supplement those from Mexico, so tight supply should not be a problem now. Play hardball. It seems your dealer is unwilling to be flexible, so find someone else that will.

There is no need to give into a high doc fee. I also would not get the accessories from the dealer. A set of Husky mats would be the same price but a better quality mat than the Honda all seasons. Shop around.
Thank you for the helpful response. I am reconsidering the accessories now given that you guys are suggesting the husky mats... Do they have cargo trays too? I've read about the terrible "carpeting" and definitely need to get something before I put even s penny in the hatch.

I suppose my biggest issue is that I am currently driving a 1999 Honda Civic. It's a reliable beast of a car with 250k miles on it but it's now in really terrible condition. Check engine lights on (even flashed a few instances... Uh oh) and took it to the shop and there is $3500 worth of legitimate safety and omission issues. My dad, a mechanic, confirmed that it will be expensive to fix and probably isn't even worth it for me.

All this means that I can't pass inspection to get a new tag and update registration because of these issues. The car itself is barely worth 2k in excellent condition and mine in particular is a bit rusty and the paint has peeled so I doubt it could fetch anywhere near that. So it makes no sense fixing a car that is worth less than repairs. Mine has now been expired since July. I've been lucky but I can't keep trying my hand driving a vehicle that is technically illegal...

I really do need a car this month... Just starting to think I'd rather pay the extra $400 at the dealer than risk getting a ticket worth the same amount?

Honestly, damn Honda for this because all models except their Fits are bountiful and plenty in supply. Just rechecked all the dealers and there are only 2 EXL models in my area, including the black one I am looking at!!

Old 12-05-2015, 11:50 AM
5 Year Member
Floor mat options are as follows:
-Honda OEM: Recommended if you do not have much rain, snow or ice in your area and like traditional floor mats. May be Ok in the summer, otherwise not recommended (imho)
-Husky Floor Liners: Front and back. Good coverage of dead pedal, overall good coverage for melting snow and ice. Has small spikes on the back to grab the Honda carpet and stay put. May be a little slippery when wet. Expensive but comes with lifetime warranty. Made in USA.
-Weathertech: more expensive. Partial coverage of the dead pedal. May have better coverage for melting snow and ice as some people say the sidewalls are higher than the Husky's. More expensive than Husky's, made in USA.

There is a lot written about floor mats on this forum, including lots of photos of all 3 options. Search on Google or here for lots of info. I opted for the Husky's.

Order your car. If you put in a firm order they will ship it to your dealer instead of hoping something will eventually get to your locale. Your order may only take a couple of weeks, or sooner. I would not sign with a dealer you did not like.

Old 12-05-2015, 12:07 PM
5 Year Member
EX-L are in low supply because most Fits sold are LX and EX models. That being said, you are getting a deal since the selling price is under MSRP. I did a quick search of your local area with TrueCar (which is not 100% accurate, but a gauge nonetheless) and currently EX-Ls are selling for over MSRP.

As far as accessories goes, if its something that needs to be installed, I would reccomend picking up the car with them on already. This way they will be covered with a three year warranty.

All season mats is something you can get at a later time. If you want cargo liners, then you would have to go with Husky or Weathertec. I personally do not like liners and prefer the shorter cut of the OEM weather mats.

Check what rates your local Bank is offering and go from there, since Honda does not have any special financing on the Fit at the moment.