3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Rattle on dash - will warranty cover it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 07:27 PM
Rattle on dash - will warranty cover it?

My GK will be a year old on Jan 09, 2016, and I'm at 9600 miles.
I have a rattle on the dash that occurs more often in drier, cooler weather, when I'm driving at lower speeds, over uneven/rough/bumpy roads or patches. Once the car is warmed up it seems to disappear. I did take it to the dealer when the car was newer, but, surprise surprise, they were not able to recreate the rattle. Then the weather got warm and it rarely happened so I just forgot about it since I didn't want to go through the hassle of going to the dealer. Well, with the current weather it's happening more often again. If I go to the dealer, will they even look at it?? I'm afraid that I'm just going to go through the hassle of going to the dealer and using up my time for being told again that they couldn't recreate the rattle. Or worse, I'm afraid they may say that it's somehow my doing and that the warranty doesn't cover it.
Is this a warranty worthy item, or am I being just a difficult customer? Any tips?

Last edited by 2015FIT; 12-20-2015 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-21-2015, 12:53 AM
Funny that you should mention this as I was going to post a very similar thread tonight.

My Fit (build date Sept. 14) with 4100 miles has developed an annoying rattle in the driver's door panel. As much as I try to ignore it, it's right where left ear picks it up and it never, ever goes away

Like 2015FIT, I was considering taking it to the dealer (whom I'm getting to know very well, lol) and see if they can do anything about it. Being my first brand new car (and just dealing with an odd rattle or fixing it myself in prior used cars), I'm not sure if this is covered under the warranty? Will the dealer just laugh in my face and say "we don't cover that silly!"

Thanks for starting the thread 2015FIT

Old 12-21-2015, 08:42 AM
5 Year Member
Funny you mention that, as mine has developed the same rattle since the cold weather finally arrived this week. I know it's in the door panel because if I lean against the door panel, it stops. I also have another rattle in the headliner, which, of course, I can't search for while I'm driving the car.

There's no reason why this shouldn't be covered under the warranty. My dealer has already had the headliner out once looking for the rattle (under warranty), and I guess I'm going to be spending some of the Christmas holiday at the dealer again.

These rattles have appeared as the temperature has gotten colder. I suspect the plastic pieces are shrinking and loosening a bit.

Old 12-24-2015, 04:19 AM
5 Year Member
Interesting and as many said here, funny.

Mine has a rattling in the copilot door, where the front left speaker is placed. I tried to ignore but it is so annoying specially when I am playing music. Then I stop and hit it a little hard and then it stop. I have not driving it since but You can try my method. It worked for old tv's.

Anyways come back to see what the dealers says.