3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Boot space 3rd gen vs 2nd gen

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 08:55 AM
Boot space 3rd gen vs 2nd gen

So I'm thinking about joining the club with a new or recent Fit (actually a Jazz here in Australia, though I prefer the Fit name), around the 2012 model I think.

My main reason is the magic seats and boot space, especially in utility mode with back seats down flat. I've been to see some 2012 and 2015/6 models and am trying to work out if the new 3rd gen is actually much bigger in the back, or if they've just moved the rear seats backwards?

There's a bunch more leg room in the 3rd gen models, like 5"/12cm. It seems huge. But does this also mean there's more length in utility mode? Did they lengthen the whole car? Or just shuffle things around? Am I just imagining it in the shiny well lit showroom?

I'm mostly interested in maximising the length in the back to fit a couple of road bikes and some luggage, or a single road bike without removing the wheel. If there's truly an extra 10cm boot space that'd probably justify the newer model. If not I'll probably keep the change and deal without the fancier centre console.

Does anyone know the difference(s) between the boot dimensions?

(I've only been able to find some dimensions in litres for total volume, but length is probably the most important... or maybe the height/width of the boot opening if that's changed, for manhandling the bike through into the car...)

Old 02-14-2016, 09:09 AM
5 Year Member
I can only comment on the US/Canada Fits, as I don't know the difference between US/Canada and Australia.

I believe that the 2015/2016 Fits are just slightly shorter in total car length but wider. I've not seen any specs on the 2015 hatch area, but with the added leg room in the rear seats, there is less room in the boot. I find the extra leg room in the rear a bit of a waste of space and would rather have a bigger boot. The boot did not lengthen to accommodate the extra rear seats space. With the rear seats down I think there would be just slightly less room in the boot than the 2 gen.

That being said with the extra rear seat space, tall mode is larger and very useful.

Still, there is a lot of room in the 2015/2016 boot for bikes. Lots of people can and do put their bikes in the boot.

If you want more length and the magic seats, look at the HRV. It is exactly the same design as the Fit but 12cm longer in the boot. I measured it in the dealership showroom. The HRV, however, drives much worse and is more expensive.

Last edited by TorontoBoy; 02-14-2016 at 09:23 AM.