3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Help: Drivers side auto window switch

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 03:50 PM
Help: Drivers side auto window switch

So I recently got several recalls fixed on my 2015 LX at a Honda dealership in Virginia. This included the door handle recall where it is my understanding they had to take the door apart to fix. I am on my way to Georgia today for a several month work related stay and my auto window switch is giving me issues. If I just pull it once toward me to roll up the window it rolls all the way up then immediately rolls itself down about 1/4th of the way every time. The only way I am able to get the window all the way up is to hold it toward me. What is causing this? Was something not put back together right? The switch appears like it might be a little looser than before but I can't be sure because I didn't pay much attention to it before.

To top it off I will be away from the dealership in VA who worked on the door recall for several months now. What is my recourse at this point? I am certain it must have involved something with the recalls fixed causing this issue because it was not doing this previously. Would that be covered under my general Honda warranty so a Georgia Honda dealership would fix it?

Any input would be really appreciated it. It's a frustrating thing.

Last edited by ncoflin; 02-27-2016 at 03:52 PM.
Old 02-27-2016, 03:59 PM
5 Year Member
I'd just go to the closest dealership and explain the situation. They'll probably treat it as a warranty repair.

Old 02-27-2016, 07:09 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
not sure if this is the sequence for honda's but on my nissan this is how i reset the power windows..

with the engine running, roll the window all the way down and continue pressing the switch for additional 3sec. then roll it up all the way and continue pulling up the switch for additional 3 sec. see if dat works.

Old 02-28-2016, 06:02 PM
5 Year Member
This happens on my girlfriends Accord and her dad's Pilot. I think it's a common issue. She's been too lazy with the Accord, but the dealership fixed the issue on the Pilot. No recalls on those cars that would affect the window, either. Must be a random electrical quirk.

Old 02-28-2016, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by 1speedbike
This happens on my girlfriends Accord and her dad's Pilot. I think it's a common issue. She's been too lazy with the Accord, but the dealership fixed the issue on the Pilot. No recalls on those cars that would affect the window, either. Must be a random electrical quirk.
Do you think any Honda dealership would fix this under warranty or would I need to take it to my dealership of purschase? I will be away from the area where I purchased my Honda for several months and by the time I get back my mileage may have exceeded the 36k warranty. I am at like 32k right now.

Old 02-28-2016, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
not sure if this is the sequence for honda's but on my nissan this is how i reset the power windows..

with the engine running, roll the window all the way down and continue pressing the switch for additional 3sec. then roll it up all the way and continue pulling up the switch for additional 3 sec. see if dat works.

Try this.
I've done this to several makes while working as an autobody tech. The windows need a 'relearn' if you will...

Good luck

Old 02-28-2016, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by Bad/Andy/gk
Try this.
I've done this to several makes while working as an autobody tech. The windows need a 'relearn' if you will...

Good luck
I did try this and it did not work. Upon further reading on other Honda forums I think it stems from a safety mechanism for the window to roll back down immediately because it is detecting resistance (like a hand or something) that accidentally is rolled up into the window. Yet nothing is there but for some reason the window is detecting something, hence the immediate roll down. I don't know what is catching though. I am convinced this stems from work recently done on the handle recall where the door had to be partially taken apart.

Old 03-01-2016, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member
take it back in this case.

Old 03-01-2016, 04:34 PM
Without HDS

1. Power Window Control Unit - Reset

Turn the vehicle to the ON mode.

Move the power window all the way down with the driver's window DOWN switch.

Open the driver's door.

NOTE: Steps 4-7 must be done within 5 seconds of each other.

Turn the vehicle to the OFF (LOCK) mode.

Press and hold the power window DOWN switch.

Release the power window DOWN switch.

Repeat steps 4-7 three more times.

Wait at least 1 second.

Confirm that AUTO UP and AUTO DOWN do not work. If AUTO UP and DOWN work, go back to step 1.

Move the power window all the way down with the power window DOWN switch.

Pull up and hold the power window UP switch until the window reaches the fully closed position, then continue to hold the switch for at least 1 second.

Confirm that the power window control unit is reset by using the driver's window AUTO UP and AUTO DOWN functions:

If the window still does not work in AUTO, repeat the procedure several times, paying close attention to the 5 seconds time limit between steps.

If the window still does not work, refer to the power window master switch input test.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by NFRAP2V2
Without HDS

1. Power Window Control Unit - Reset

Move the power window all the way down with the driver's window DOWN switch.

Open the driver's door.

NOTE: Steps 4-7 must be done within 5 seconds of each other.

Turn the vehicle to the OFF (LOCK) mode.

Press and hold the power window DOWN switch.

Release the power window DOWN switch.

Repeat steps 4-7 three more times.

Wait at least 1 second.

Confirm that AUTO UP and AUTO DOWN do not work. If AUTO UP and DOWN work, go back to step 1.

Move the power window all the way down with the power window DOWN switch.

Pull up and hold the power window UP switch until the window reaches the fully closed position, then continue to hold the switch for at least 1 second.

Confirm that the power window control unit is reset by using the driver's window AUTO UP and AUTO DOWN functions:

If the window still does not work in AUTO, repeat the procedure several times, paying close attention to the 5 seconds time limit between steps.

If the window still does not work, refer to the power window master switch input test.
I took it into a local dealer here in the suburbs of Atlanta and they were able to fix it quickly appearing to do what you just mentioned above. Thanks for the help.

Old 03-02-2016, 03:54 PM
5 Year Member
a 13 step process to reprogram a window? WTF mang.. lol

step#14 go have a burger, order fries

step#15 eat burger and fries within 4.5min and finish drink in 0.5min

step#16 ...