3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

How small of windshield chip is too small to even worry about?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 08:00 PM
Question How small of windshield chip is too small to even worry about?

So it happened. I was trying down the interstate and SMACK a rock hit my windshield. I now have a tiny chip right above my line of sight on the drivers side. About the size of a pinhead, teardrop shaped. I can see it from both the inside AND outside of my car, and feel it when I move my finger across it. I don't know how to determine if it is deep or only a surface chip. It was honestly too small to even show up in a photograph, or I would post it on here.

It of course bugs me, but is it something I should actually worry about? I always hear horror stories about chips turning into HUGE cracks. However it is SO small I am afraid I would be laughed out of the building if I brought my car into a windshield repair place. I also heard many insurance companies (I have Geico) will fix cracks free of charge and not make you pay a deductible.

Advice, thoughts?

Old 03-17-2016, 08:20 PM
The way I've determined whether a chip is too small to worry about was to take it to a decent local windshield place and ask them about it. When they say "That's too small to repair or worry about," I know that it's too small to worry about. If they are laughing at me, they only do so after I've left and I'm still none the wiser.

Your chip sounds to me very much like a surface chip of no real concern.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:25 PM
5 Year Member
I've had lots of tiny chips in lots of windshields. In fact I got one in my Fit last fall, right in my line of sight. I've never had one develop into a crack yet.

If you're concerned, you can ask a glass shop for their opinion.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:01 PM
5 Year Member
I, too, would also take it to a local glass repair place. They can inject resin into the crack, under vacuum, to seal the crack.

Any crack is a stressor, and with enough vibration the crack can spread. Catch it early and you can repair it. Leave it and it can grow enough to make the windshield unsafe and in need of total repair.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:01 PM
Yeah I suppose I should take it in to be safe. I'm sure they'll just laugh at me though. It's really not large. Annoying as hell, but these things happen especially on the sh*tty Atlanta beltway. I'll get used to it, because I don't think it is even likely large enough to fill. Are there any DIY tricks to hiding these type of chips?

Old 03-18-2016, 10:23 AM
Originally Posted by ncoflin
Yeah I suppose I should take it in to be safe. I'm sure they'll just laugh at me though. It's really not large. Annoying as hell, but these things happen especially on the sh*tty Atlanta beltway. I'll get used to it, because I don't think it is even likely large enough to fill. Are there any DIY tricks to hiding these type of chips?
You can buy a chip repair kit, about 7 bucks I think, comes with epoxy, a syringe, and a mounting plate. I've repaired many chips with them. Pretty straightforward if you can follow directions

Old 03-18-2016, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by Tacit Blues
You can buy a chip repair kit, about 7 bucks I think, comes with epoxy, a syringe, and a mounting plate. I've repaired many chips with them. Pretty straightforward if you can follow directions
Would that actually have any impact on a very tiny possible surface chip?

Old 03-18-2016, 02:31 PM
Would that actually have any impact on a very tiny possible surface chip?
It would make it less visible if it's really bugging you.

Old 03-18-2016, 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by Tacit Blues
It would make it less visible if it's really bugging you.
Can you recommend a specific brand that you have had success with? Or are all these DIY kits created equal?

Old 03-18-2016, 03:59 PM
Can you recommend a specific brand that you have had success with? Or are all these DIY kits created equal?
I think they're all pretty equal, but this is the kit I've been using

Old 03-18-2016, 11:44 PM
5 Year Member
I've had two decent sized chips in my work vehicle's windsheild (Ford Escape) for the past 5 years, and neither has developed into a crack.

Old 03-19-2016, 07:47 AM
Remember that in the UK the rules on windscreen chips are very strict. The windscreen on a modern car is bonded and therefore part of the cars monococque's strength.

No matter how small a chip may appear, driving over a kerb/pothole etc can make the screen crack.

If you are in any doubt, check with your local windscreen repairers. If you have Fully Comp insurance repairs are usually free (though replacements are not)

Old 03-20-2016, 09:36 PM
A chip can sit there for years and then one day somebody pours cool water on the windshield on a hot day and a crack takes off running!

I generally use an epoxy kit on any chip I can see. It's a hassle, but it makes the windshield less likely to crack all the way and need replacement. It also improves visibility. A properly repaired chip is nearly invisible.

Old 05-20-2023, 01:04 PM
Even though the chip may appear small, it's still vulnerable to expanding under certain conditions. By utilizing a repair kit, you can mitigate the risk and potentially save yourself from more extensive damage in the future. Additionally, some insurance companies, like Geico, offer coverage for windshield repair without requiring a deductible.

If you're considering addressing the chip yourself, I recommend exploring the Crack Repair Upgrade Kit from CrackEraser. You can find more information about it on their website at<!--td {border: 1px solid #cccccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->https://crackeraser.com/products/cra...ir-upgrade-kit. It's always wise to take proactive steps to preserve the integrity of your windshield and prevent potential complications down the line.

Old 05-23-2023, 09:04 PM
5 Year Member
id try and fill with resin yourself, my 2015 , in 2015 got dinged RIGHT on the edge and bam...week or 3 later giant crack...i think the "newer" windshields are thinner to save weight.