3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Eye Opening Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 10:51 AM
Thanks for all the replies.

I will in the future continue to take the Fit into the dealer for any engine/drivetrain work as well as brakes. In my 70 years, I have done repair work on most of my vehicles from a 69 chevy truck to a 73 Mercedes 450SE, but at my age it is too big of a hassle/pain to do so now. After the warranty expires at 36K, I will likely do little things like replace bulbs, cracked taillights, interior items, etc.

I will however bring up the issue of the $99 charge for mounting/balancing
the tires as well as the $122 charge for turning of rotors, if you assume that this is abnormal wear and should not have happened. As far as the trans flush and replace and the brake system flush and replace, I think that is part of the 30K mile service.

Jim

Old 04-03-2016, 10:58 AM
5 Year Member
They should not be flushing the trans fluid.

Just a simple drain & refill.

Old 04-03-2016, 08:43 PM
5 Year Member
Dang, my dealer mounts and balances tires bought there for free. They have to or they'd never be able to compete with the many independent tire shops around here.

Old 04-03-2016, 09:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wxgeek
Thanks for all the replies.

...the $122 charge for turning of rotors, if you assume that this is abnormal wear and should not have happened....

Jim
Not so much abnormal wear as defective part. See the thread about "rotors warping easily" in this subforum. If the rotors are not properly annealed, this is what you get. I'd ask for replacement rotors from Honda and for the dealer to reimburse you for turning them.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:13 AM
I will in the future continue to take the Fit into the dealer for any engine/drivetrain work as well as brakes... ...at my age it is too big of a hassle/pain to do so now.
I feel your pain, but it won't force me into a dealership for anything other than a warranty or TSB, and even then I will mark the parts involved and watch them like a hawk. I've had enough bad experiences at dealers that I'll spend my money on a good independent mechanic where the person you talk to is the person working on your car. Dealers hire mechanics straight from the trade schools and if mechanics are good enough they soon move up and out to private shops.

I will however bring up the issue of the $99 charge for mounting/balancing
the tires as well as the $122 charge for turning of rotors, if you assume that this is abnormal wear and should not have happened. As far as the trans flush and replace and the brake system flush and replace, I think that is part of the 30K mile service.
Read the fine print. There is no "30,000 mile service" on a Fit. The service interval is determined by the Maintenance Minder system depending upon how you drive the car and the mileages is not fixed.

Many dealers, however, cling to the old "do service XXX at mileage YYY model. They'll even go so far as to tell you that your car's manufacturer doesn't know how to maintain their cars!

So, there is a difference between "Manufacturer Recommended Service" and "Dealer Recommended Service." The former is what is required to keep your car in good operating condition. The latter is what makes money for the dealer.

Oh, and if you are going to dispute their charges save yourself some time and make an appointment with the service manager. That will bypass one level of BS leaving you only one or two to deal with. Mention bringing the issue up with Honda Customer Service if they aren't willing to correct their "mistake."

Last edited by GeorgeL; 04-05-2016 at 12:16 AM.