3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Major Engine Failure at 1 year, 10,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 08:59 PM
https://youtu.be/tg5faeI8gos

This is how bad it is. It was nowhere near this bad when I picked it up. Has it already been damaged at this point? I have no trust in the long term reliability now. I bought this car brand new with the intention of driving it for decades.

Last edited by SMH327; 04-12-2016 at 09:58 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:52 PM
5 Year Member
this is direct injection for you. intakes get carbon fouled because you no longer have fuel to lubricate and keep it off.

this will be a problem on all direct injection engine. Our mini had this problem numerous time and each time, under warranty, Mini tears it apart and cleans it using crushed walnut shells.

Old 04-14-2016, 11:15 AM
You should really be talking to the service manager. Not telling you exactly what is wrong and what is being done to fix it right there when they know is unacceptable. Also after major repairs the vehicle should be driven at least 20+mile for quality control.

Old 04-16-2016, 08:52 PM
This isn't surprising, Honda reshuffled the top management due to quality control issue. My brand new 2015 Fit had bad 6mt transmission prior to delivery and battery out of the factory. Really shitty, Im riding out my extended OEM honda warranty until 120k miles or 2021 then trading this car in. I'll never buy a Honda ever again.

Old 04-17-2016, 07:17 AM
5 Year Member
I had the same issue with my 2013, and many others have as well. A simple search will show you that. My dealer also replaced the cylinder head, no questions asked. I think Honda is aware of the issue but is trying to just keep it quiet. My Fit had 35-36k miles when it failed.

Old 04-17-2016, 12:19 PM
5 Year Member
Weird. What can be done to prevent this? DI or not?

Other thoughts:
1) If you are changing oil frequently and putting in decent gas, any modern engine should be able to run to and past 100k miles without much trouble. I'm staggered to hear this might be a direct injection issue - haven't DI cars pretty much become all cars sold now? Wouldn't this be commonly known if it was a horrible design flaw inherent to DI?

2) Redlining the car a few times a week should not be an issue. I know people think it's "bad for the car" but the engine is, after all, designed to do it. Not repeatedly at the same time maybe, but once a day? A few times? No problem.

Sorry you have had this issue

Old 04-18-2016, 09:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bigbacon
this is direct injection for you. intakes get carbon fouled because you no longer have fuel to lubricate and keep it off.

this will be a problem on all direct injection engine. Our mini had this problem numerous time and each time, under warranty, Mini tears it apart and cleans it using crushed walnut shells.
According to Pat Goss (MotorWeek), the problem is caused by oil getting passed the newer pistons in combination with direct injection. Can be cured by a oil catch can and separator. Since I'm not a mechanic by any means, try looking it up on the internet. It should not happen to a car under normal use, but raw hiding an engine can cause the problems.

Kent

Old 04-18-2016, 07:42 PM
5 Year Member
I've redlined engines my whole life, my average life on a car is over 225k Miles..
My Auto fit shifts at redline on its own.. FWIW..

The pistons uses low tension/pressure oil rings, they depend on cylinder pressure to keep oil on the right side of them.

"rev til you hit the limiter then shift, Its a BMW not a farking Yugo" - BMW driving instructor to a gal shifting at 300 to 3500 in M3 at a track day..

Old 04-18-2016, 09:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx
I've redlined engines my whole life, my average life on a car is over 225k Miles..
My Auto fit shifts at redline on its own.. FWIW..

The pistons uses low tension/pressure oil rings, they depend on cylinder pressure to keep oil on the right side of them.

"rev til you hit the limiter then shift, Its a BMW not a farking Yugo" - BMW driving instructor to a gal shifting at 300 to 3500 in M3 at a track day..
And Fits (and most other ordinary cars) aren't freaking M3s. Besides that M3 wasn't HIS M3.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KentFinn
And Fits (and most other ordinary cars) aren't freaking M3s. Besides that M3 wasn't HIS M3.
My S2000 has been taken to redline (8900) from day one, runs perfect 17 years later.

My Fit saw redline at mile eight and also runs perfectly.

Old 04-18-2016, 11:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
My S2000 has been taken to redline (8900) from day one, runs perfect 17 years later.

My Fit saw redline at mile eight and also runs perfectly.
I didn't know that the S2000 had direct injection. That's the root of the discussion at this point, but I do know the siren song of a full boogie VTEC engine. I had 2000 Civic Si coupe, a really sweet song.

I bought 2 cars on the basis of the sound they made a full throttle ... the Si and much earlier, a 1964 Tri Power Pontiac GTO, soprano and bass.

Old 04-19-2016, 12:11 PM
5 Year Member
But the factory auto on the 07 still shifts at redline on the fit.. YMMV.
So do most of the other japanese cars I've rented.

The instructor was the BMWOA lead mechanic and runs the engine program for their race team. So yes he was qualified to judge how hard to drive them.. And they were BMW provided cars...

In my experience you break an engine in like you want to drive it.
If you plan on running the car hard, break it in with revs, that way when you get the cylinder ridge at the top of the bore it will be as high as possible in the cylinder, worst thing is to run a car at low rpm high load for years then rev it hard, the the top ring hits the ridge and breaks the ring or piston.

Old 04-19-2016, 12:59 PM
5 Year Member
It is weird that honda chose low tension rings on their newer engines, yet didn't follow the germans (VW/Porsche/Audi) and put in a valved crankcase vent system. Cause you need vacuum in the engine to seat low tension rings and keep the oil on the right side of them.

Old 04-19-2016, 01:47 PM
5 Year Member
I didn't know that the S2000 had direct injection. That's the root of the discussion at this point, but I do know the siren song of a full boogie VTEC engine. I had 2000 Civic Si coupe, a really sweet song.

I bought 2 cars on the basis of the sound they made a full throttle ... the Si and much earlier, a 1964 Tri Power Pontiac GTO, soprano and bass.
Direct injection NEEDS to see redline to help control carbon buildup.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:11 PM
5 Year Member
Needs? Really? It have been my experience that Honda engines are very durable and will take a lot of abuse (Civic Wagon, EX Coupe, Si Coupe) and I have no doubt that the Fit will prove likewise (not enough miles on it yet to disprove my theory). Their engines aren't broken in until 5,000 mile plus.

Drive 'em like you stole 'em is one theory, not mine. Dive 'em like you're gonna drive 'em every day with a few "I drive Formula One" times thrown in. Continual rawhiding just might lead to a blown engine, and certainly to a few extra points on your insurance. YMMV.

Now about those low tension piston rings ... Check out Goss' YouTube on or about 4/12/16. VW engineering? Aren't those the folks that cheated on their diesel emission tests? Wonderful!!!

Old 04-19-2016, 02:14 PM
5 Year Member
In your opinion. But there are often unintended consequences to any tech change.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:17 PM
5 Year Member
There are an awful lot of Fits of the current direct injection generation on the road now racking up an increasing number of miles and we're just not seeing much in the way of problems with this engine (or the CVT for that matter). It is in fact surprisingly reliable and trouble free. I see nothing to indicate that the very small number of major engine failures reported is any different statistically from any engine - and any type of engine, DI or not - from any manufacturer.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx
It is weird that honda chose low tension rings on their newer engines, yet didn't follow the germans (VW/Porsche/Audi) and put in a valved crankcase vent system. Cause you need vacuum in the engine to seat low tension rings and keep the oil on the right side of them.
Cost maybe? OTOH, that wasn't a Fit that Goss put the catch can/separator. Engine bay much too large. Even though there are German roots in the family tree, that doesn't require me to revere them, btw the VW/Porsche/Audi is currently all one conglomerate.

Germans, as a stereotype, are great engineers]scientists, but they are not infallible nor above using a fudge factor to get the results they want.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:36 PM
5 Year Member
Needs? Really? It have been my experience that Honda engines are very durable and will take a lot of abuse (Civic Wagon, EX Coupe, Si Coupe) and I have no doubt that the Fit will prove likewise (not enough miles on it yet to disprove my theory). Their engines aren't broken in until 5,000 mile plus.

Drive 'em like you stole 'em is one theory, not mine. Dive 'em like you're gonna drive 'em every day with a few "I drive Formula One" times thrown in. Continual rawhiding just might lead to a blown engine, and certainly to a few extra points on your insurance. YMMV.

Now about those low tension piston rings ... Check out Goss' YouTube on or about 4/12/16. VW engineering? Aren't those the folks that cheated on their diesel emission tests? Wonderful!!!
NONE OF THOSE ARE DIRECT INJECTION.

DI engines and rotary engines have the same inherent struggle with carbon build up.

How do you help with carbon build up in rotaries? Take it to redline regularly.

Old 04-20-2016, 12:59 AM
5 Year Member
NONE OF THOSE ARE DIRECT INJECTION.

DI engines and rotary engines have the same inherent struggle with carbon build up.

How do you help with carbon build up in rotaries? Take it to redline regularly.
Regularly, but not continuously. There is a difference.

Knew a fellow many years ago who had one of those incredibly rare rotary motorcycles. Unbelievably fast and quick, dangerously so if the rider wasn't aware of what he had beneath him. Don't know what happened to either one of them.

As a friend says, "Be alert. The world needs more lerts."

Quick Reply: Major Engine Failure at 1 year, 10,000 miles