3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Ripple in metal along roof on brand new car.

Old 06-29-2016, 11:07 PM
5 Year Member
Ripple in metal along roof on brand new car.

Hello, New owner here, just picked up a 2016 EX yesterday, an EX. Love the car so far but tonight in looking at it we noticed a ripple or couple of small dents along the roof near the side above say where the line between the doors is. No scratches or anything but in the glancing light very obvious, and you can feel them as well. There is two along one side and one small one along the other pretty much opposite it.
We did not notice them when we picked it up but the car was spotless and shiny clean and it was a very overcast evening.

Do we have any recourse? There is 72 miles on the car since we took a ride last night. Although we only went about 60 so there must have been about 12 when we picked it up but did not notice that either.

Or is this normal for this kind of car? Did anyone else notice these kinds of blemishes on their new car?

I'll call the dealer but they may just say it is too late, I can't imagine them giving us a new car even though it is only one day old. Fixing it will likley make it worse as they are somewhat subtle and we certainly don't want work done on the body already.

Any thoughts?

Old 06-30-2016, 12:38 AM
5 Year Member
Metal on the roof is notoriously thin and reportedly is prone to pings if not careful. One person here talked about denting the roof when he used his elbows to lean on the car, it doesn't take much. But I haven't read anything about whether/how it got fixed so it might not be a big deal to repair. Good luck at the dealership tomorrow.

Old 06-30-2016, 08:21 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Telstar2112
Hello, New owner here, just picked up a 2016 EX yesterday, an EX. Love the car so far but tonight in looking at it we noticed a ripple or couple of small dents along the roof near the side above say where the line between the doors is. No scratches or anything but in the glancing light very obvious, and you can feel them as well. There is two along one side and one small one along the other pretty much opposite it.
We did not notice them when we picked it up but the car was spotless and shiny clean and it was a very overcast evening.

Do we have any recourse? There is 72 miles on the car since we took a ride last night. Although we only went about 60 so there must have been about 12 when we picked it up but did not notice that either.

Or is this normal for this kind of car? Did anyone else notice these kinds of blemishes on their new car?

I'll call the dealer but they may just say it is too late, I can't imagine them giving us a new car even though it is only one day old. Fixing it will likley make it worse as they are somewhat subtle and we certainly don't want work done on the body already.

Any thoughts?
it shouldnt be there but that area is VERY EASY to dent if one's not careful. but the good part is it isnt too difficult to pull them out via PDR. mention it to your dealer and im sure they have a PDR tech come around to do their used cars so have them foot the bill. GL my GK was hit in a hail storm one day after taking ownership and i do PDR on my own. dents came out.

Old 06-30-2016, 08:42 AM
5 Year Member
Old 06-30-2016, 09:29 AM
5 Year Member
Our Fit came with a small dent in the middle of the front hood that I noticed at delivery time under the lights. Delivery tech made a note on a due bill and we brought back to the dealer a few days later for a quick PDR and it came out with no problem. So far, we've managed to keep the car completely dent free in 18k miles, 1.5 years.

Hopefully your dealer will take care of it for you.

Old 06-30-2016, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by Telstar2112
I'll call the dealer but they may just say it is too late,
Sorry to hear that.
It's a sucky feeling when something like this happens on a brand new car but it's better late than never, so call them and let them know.
You also may want to call Honda corp and let them know as well just to make a record. Every call to Honda corp is recorded and you will get a ref # from them.

Old 06-30-2016, 01:17 PM
5 Year Member
I e-mailed them a little video as it is hard to see in a photo with all the reflections but did not hear back yet, I'll have to call them, do I speak to the salesperson or someone else?

It is certainly nothing that happened while we had it since we just took a drive and then the car was in the driveway the whole time. I guess it is possible it just showed up from some stresses of driving if there was already an inherent stress but likely we just missed it at delivery when the car was super clean and as soon as some dust got on it it showed up.

Thanks, and I'll let you know what happens. Kind of sucks to go from excited to this.

Old 06-30-2016, 01:23 PM
You should talke to a service write up person at the selling dealership.
But informing the salesperson who handled your sales is not a bad idea. He "may" help you by convincing their service dept that the ripple was not caused by you...

Old 06-30-2016, 05:32 PM
5 Year Member
I'd do everything in person, never on the phone and bring an unrelated to you person with you... Just in case there is something actually wrong..

Most states have a 36 hour right to return law on purchases over 10,000 or some arbitrary number. Especially if its financed.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:45 AM
Similar issue with my new 2017 (MY18) Jazz. Three weeks old and there is a pattern of three diagonal dents/ripples on the arch above the rear right door. Will be taking it to the dealer for repair.

Old 01-17-2018, 10:38 PM
Probably not worth it to "repair". I have some 'dents' on top from myself covering it in vinyl, and installing a roof rack. It's going to keep deforming rather easily.

Old 01-18-2018, 01:18 AM
5 Year Member
I have them too on both sides of roof. Bothered me a lot at first. My car is a COPO and I know I didn’t do it. I think I am getting use to them. Only bothers me when I detail the car

Old 01-18-2018, 05:08 AM
5 Year Member
I sideswiped my trashcan backing up. Barely touched it and left a good dent in the rear quarter. $100 later at PDR and you can't find the dent. If the dealer don't take care of it, PDR is not that expensive.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:33 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
free in my case.. well after tools and training

hail did a number on my GK. fixed though.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:10 PM
5 Year Member
It has been nearly 1.5 year (06-30-2016, 01:17 PM) since Telstar2112 last post, which he promise to let us know what happened at the dealer. I wonder what was the outcome of the ripple along the roof. I hope he is enjoying his car so much that he forgot to inform us .

Last edited by wasserball; 01-23-2018 at 09:13 PM.