3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Soaked carpet

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 01:37 PM
5 Year Member
Soaked carpet

hello, a lot of snow lately here in Canada. I have genuine Honda rubber floor mats. I took them out today to clean them and noticed the carpet was completely soaked. I’m sure it’s melted snow and not from any other source.

Any tops to avoid this? Do people use their carpets mats under the rubber ones?line the floor with newspaper like my dad used to do?

Any other thoughts? Probably explains the interior fogging issues I was having.

Old 01-20-2018, 03:03 PM
5 Year Member
Got a snow brush in the car? Use it to scrape as much snow off your boots or shoes before you sit down, minimizing the amount that can get under the mats.

Old 01-20-2018, 08:37 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
or just get some husky liners.

not on my GK, but i washed my weathertechs today in my GTI and upon removal there was absolutely ZERO salt stains under the filthy dirty liner. so happy.

Old 01-21-2018, 11:53 AM
5 Year Member
With our beet juice and copious amounts of salt, the only protection that works are Husky or Weathertech custom mats. Otherwise in the summer you'll see your carpeting in terrible shape, with salt soaked right through and hardened.

I have Husky;s and they do not let any water or salt through to the carpeting, just as designed. Those Honda carpet mats are useless in the winter.

Old 01-21-2018, 12:25 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, i run husky liners in my GK as well. thing is VERY nice. very goood coverage and all.

Old 01-21-2018, 01:40 PM
5 Year Member
I’m using the genuine rubber Honda ones. They are thick rubber and appear very good quality. Water isn’t go through them. Perhaps it’s sleeping through around the edges. I looked at the husky ones?
...do they cover the dead pedal too?

Old 01-21-2018, 03:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by aelk799
I’m using the genuine rubber Honda ones. They are thick rubber and appear very good quality. Water isn’t go through them. Perhaps it’s sleeping through around the edges. I looked at the husky ones?
...do they cover the dead pedal too?
Yes husky brand does cover the dead pedal completely.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:51 AM
5 Year Member
The Husky's are like a big bowl for your boots. They have been successful for me for 2 winters so far. When it gets warmer I carefully dump out any residual water. The carpet stays pretty near perfectly clean. With swinging legs into the car, it is difficult to contain the mess without custom mats such as Husky's.

And yes, as stated, the Husky's do completely cover the dead pedal.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:35 PM
I'm going to be taking a hard look at the Husky liners. I bought WeatherTechs and am very disappointed. The drivers side fit well but the passenger side had a lot of forward-back movement and a large void beneath that caused the side by the door to collapse inward. Had them replaced and same thing so it wasn't just a "one of" thing.
Now, after a years I notice the driver's side mat starting to curl inward from the back/seat side creating a significant gap for dirt and snow to get under the mat.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:50 PM
5 Year Member
The only issue I have with the Husky's is the tread pattern. Some of the tread is parallel to the length of the car, so when you step on it and want grip, you slip on the mat. A perpendicular tread pattern, or even diagonal would have prevented this issue.

As for keeping in the salty soup, they are really good.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by aelk799
hello, a lot of snow lately here in Canada. I have genuine Honda rubber floor mats. I took them out today to clean them and noticed the carpet was completely soaked. I’m sure it’s melted snow and not from any other source.

Any tops to avoid this? Do people use their carpets mats under the rubber ones?line the floor with newspaper like my dad used to do?

Any other thoughts? Probably explains the interior fogging issues I was having.
After you dry the carpet, make sure to monitor it closely to be positive that it is simply melted snow and not a leak. Door leaks are notorious on Fits.