3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Door rattle after body work

Old 07-13-2016, 01:33 PM
Door rattle after body work

After some gutless wonder scratched up both doors on the driver's side of my 2016 Fit, I took the car to my insurance-recommended body shop to have them repainted.

I got the car back a couple of days later, and while the paint job was fine, there were a couple of gouges on the rubber trim and rear view mirror, obviously from tools used to remove them. (they've agreed to fix this)

There is also a rattle in the driver's door when I close it, along with a greasy streak on the window when I open and close it.

Any suggestions on what they may have done wrong when reassembling the door? I'm leery of letting them open it up again, but it would help to perhaps give them suggestions of what to look for when it is opened up.

Is it so complicated that I'm just better off taking it to the dealer and paying out of pocket for them to look at it?

Old 07-14-2016, 12:53 AM
I had some dick bag backup into my drivers door awhile back, he paid me in cash to fix it and a friend who owns a reputable body shop install a new door skin and repaint the whole side of the car to make the paint match. The door skin is extremely thin, and rattles to the point you can see the side mirror vibrating in the wind. Took it back and the shop put a piece of plate steel behind the skin with some panel bond to shore it up. Unfortunately it wasnt enough as during the winter when i had it done it didnt rattle because it was.cold out and the panel bond material was rock solid. Now in the summer the.material turns spongy and the mirror rattles. Shop was going to charge me to look at it again. I said no. Using some epoxy glue and some quick steel i put some steel flat stock to stiffen up the skin. It made a world of difference, but not perfect. At around 1500-1600 of body work i dont have the cash for it again. The door skin from oem honda should have been thicker or have some sort of stiffener material behind it to increase its strength.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:37 AM
5 Year Member
Its obvious that the best course of action is to have the body shop fix what they didn't do. Point out the new rattle, it's probably just improper reassembly or a loose clip or something.

++++++++++

I once had a body shop return a car to me without working brake lights! They claimed they didn't touch them, but the invoice said "remove/replace rear lights" for painting. Oh, brother.

Point is, check everything before accepting a car after a repair (not just body repair).