3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

High Miles

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 06:10 PM
5 Year Member
High Miles

I got my EX in May. Wish I'd got the EX-L, but that's another story. About to hit 5,000miles. Oil life at 30%. Got a trip to Richmond, VA (from the DC area) tomorrow then a trip to Jacksonville, FL later next month. Add in the daily work commute (a short one) and the miles are adding up. I'm gonna blow through the short 36,000mi warranty. I'd like to change the oil before the Florida trip. Let the dealer do the first one then I'll do them as I like to work on my cars. I'm coming from a lifetime of VW's. All of which I've driven well over 150,000mi. My last GTI gave me 253,000mi. Can I expect this from an econobox Honda? I REALLY like driving this car (the CVT has grown on me) and it seems to be one of the "good" ones showing none of the issue I read about here. But how about high mileage issues. How does the water pump hold up? the compressor? is the CVT durable? How many miles on your Fit?

Old 07-29-2016, 08:53 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i like my new GTI with performance pack and autobahn.

Old 07-29-2016, 11:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
i like my new GTI with performance pack and autobahn.
Sweet!!!!!!

Old 08-01-2016, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by tsand19151
I got my EX in May. Wish I'd got the EX-L, but that's another story. About to hit 5,000miles. Oil life at 30%. Got a trip to Richmond, VA (from the DC area) tomorrow then a trip to Jacksonville, FL later next month. Add in the daily work commute (a short one) and the miles are adding up. I'm gonna blow through the short 36,000mi warranty. I'd like to change the oil before the Florida trip. Let the dealer do the first one then I'll do them as I like to work on my cars. I'm coming from a lifetime of VW's. All of which I've driven well over 150,000mi. My last GTI gave me 253,000mi. Can I expect this from an econobox Honda? I REALLY like driving this car (the CVT has grown on me) and it seems to be one of the "good" ones showing none of the issue I read about here. But how about high mileage issues. How does the water pump hold up? the compressor? is the CVT durable? How many miles on your Fit?
I already have 55,000 miles on my Fit in less than 2 years, and I've already had a few issues. Rear struts have gone bad twice now, but the first time they were replaced under warranty. I also drive a little harder than the average Fit owner (even though I like to think that I don't) because I drive pizza delivery and Uber. It will be fine with more highway miles though. I haven't heard of any issues with the water pump and AC compressor, but I would imagine it needs to be replaced around every 100k like most Hondas. There was a recall for a good amount of CVTs a while back, but haven't heard of any other issues with the tranny (I drive the 6-speed tho, so that doesn't really help). I was doing a lot of highway miles when I first got the car and love it outside of the highway noise (mostly because the 6-speed makes the engine scream at 75+ mph) and not fantastic mileage out on open highways.

Regardless, welcome to the Fit Family!

Old 08-01-2016, 04:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by esnave09
I already have 55,000 miles on my Fit in less than 2 years, and I've already had a few issues. Rear struts have gone bad twice now, but the first time they were replaced under warranty. I also drive a little harder than the average Fit owner (even though I like to think that I don't) because I drive pizza delivery and Uber. It will be fine with more highway miles though. I haven't heard of any issues with the water pump and AC compressor, but I would imagine it needs to be replaced around every 100k like most Hondas. There was a recall for a good amount of CVTs a while back, but haven't heard of any other issues with the tranny (I drive the 6-speed tho, so that doesn't really help). I was doing a lot of highway miles when I first got the car and love it outside of the highway noise (mostly because the 6-speed makes the engine scream at 75+ mph) and not fantastic mileage out on open highways.

Regardless, welcome to the Fit Family!
Thank you!!!

Old 08-02-2016, 04:26 PM
5 Year Member
I've got about 27k that I bought on 3/15. I'll be through the warranty in about 6 months if that.

Here was a member that had 117k before the CATs O2 sensors went out. That's not bad in my opinion. He could have replaced CATs/O2 for much less than what the dealer quoted. Heck I've had CATs on more expensive vehicles go much earlier and replaced for less. I think he was turned off by the warranty details, but that's why you read the fine print. https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...t-warning.html

I've had my fair share of issues though. My front bumper is sagging. Drivers front window and passenger rear wheel liners were replaced under warranty. Also have had a few recalls done. I've spent more time at the dealer than any car I've owned and it's a relatively new car. So far it hasn't left me stranded so that's a positive.

Old 08-02-2016, 05:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
I've got about 27k that I bought on 3/15. I'll be through the warranty in about 6 months if that.

Here was a member that had 117k before the CATs O2 sensors went out. That's not bad in my opinion. He could have replaced CATs/O2 for much less than what the dealer quoted. Heck I've had CATs on more expensive vehicles go much earlier and replaced for less. I think he was turned off by the warranty details, but that's why you read the fine print. https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...t-warning.html

I've had my fair share of issues though. My front bumper is sagging. Drivers front window and passenger rear wheel liners were replaced under warranty. Also have had a few recalls done. I've spent more time at the dealer than any car I've owned and it's a relatively new car. So far it hasn't left me stranded so that's a positive.
Thanks for the post. Yeah, 117K for 02 sensors would be normal to me. So far my Fit has been fine. I don't know weather to relax or worry!!!! Don't know why Honda won't do 5yr/100,000mi warranty when they've built a reputation for making reliable cars.

Old 08-03-2016, 08:24 AM
5 Year Member
I also have a 2016 Fit. This is the first year the gen 3 model has been assembled in Japan. Though the Japanese and Mexican gen 3's look similar, they seem to be apples and oranges quality wise. There are many quality problems reported in the Mexican cars, as well as some major lemons, that haven't surfaced in the Japanese cars (yet). So, drawing conclusions about the future reliability of our cars based on the experiences of the Mexican car owners is probably not valid. We'll just have to keep the group appraised of our experiences.

For myself, I got my car on Easter weekend, and have been nothing but satisfied. Small quibbles:
- The wipers sometimes skitter across the windshield. I've fixed this in previous cars by rotating the wiper blades to remove the "set" taken by the blade. Haven't gotten around to it yet on this car.
- The paint on the front bumper cover isn't very durable. I have numerous tiny chips and one major chip (half the size of my pinky nail).
- The exterior body panels are thin and dent easily. Within 3 weeks I had a door ding (not really the fault of the car, but still...) . Then, a couple weeks ago, I was parked under a tree when a small dead branch fell out and landed on the hood. Now I have a dent there, too. Both incidents were rather freak things, but I've had other cars go for years with no dents. Body panels should be thick enough to handle normal wear and tear without damage. These feel like I could dent them with a knuckle if I pressed hard.

Old 08-03-2016, 08:56 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tsand19151
Thanks for the post. Yeah, 117K for 02 sensors would be normal to me. So far my Fit has been fine. I don't know weather to relax or worry!!!! Don't know why Honda won't do 5yr/100,000mi warranty when they've built a reputation for making reliable cars.
Honda doesn't offer a longer warranty BECAUSE they have a reputation for reliability. A Warranty is just another marketing tool. Kia, for example, offers a 100,000 mile warranty because they are relatively new in the market, and still trying to prove themselves.

Unfortunately, I am getting the impression that Honda has lost control of their quality in some respects, and, if their sales start to suffer from it, I'd expect to see them start to offer longer warranties to reassure potential customers.