3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

How to unlock ALL doors at once from drivers door

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 01:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fuelish
I played around with this with our '15 LX ....I left the auto-lock enabled, but disabled the auto unlock....took a bit of fumbling on my part, but finally got it to do what I want
We each have our ways of doing things. I want to tell you why I did not like the default of locking and unlocking doors on my Fit LX. When I unlock the driver's door, start the engine and drive away. At 10 mph the Fit automatically locks all doors (CLICK). Why? The only door that was unlock was the driver's door. By activating the other doors' solenoid actuator to lock an already locked door puts unnecessary wear and tear on mechanical device, which has limited useful life. The same default comes into play when I exit the car. All doors unlock, and when I lock the car with the key, all doors lock. Why is it necessary to auto unlock all doors when I lock them again after leaving the car? Well, I decided to do away with the default auto lock by doing this:
1. enter the car and leave the driver's door open.
2. Insert key into ignition to the 2nd position, click click.
3. Push and hold master lock button (on the driver's door) for 5 seconds until you hear a loud click.
4. Return the key in the ignition back to "0".
Now, I have disabled the default auto door lock/unlock feature!!! I like to decide when the doors should be locked and unlocked.

Last edited by wasserball; 11-30-2016 at 02:09 PM.
Old 11-30-2016, 02:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wasserball
I like to decide when the doors should be locked and unlocked.
I understand this, and have toyed with the idea of disabling auto lock as well, but I'd be likely, as most Americans, to lock the driver's door using the master switch on the door handle (which locks all doors, locked or not, as per yer description) , as opposed to the actual maual lock button/whatever ya wanna call it. So, yeah ....y'all can call me a wee bit lazy....but I don't whine about my options

Old 12-04-2016, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by TorontoBoy
For the LX, put key into the driver's side lock, turn once to open driver's door, turn second time to open all doors. Maybe it will also work for the EX?
Using the manual key in the driver's door and turning it twice will unlock all doors on the EX. It's pointless to do though as it would be quicker to just use the buttons on the fob instead of removing key. Neither of which are as simple as if they had just programmed an unlock all door option into the handle . ��

Last edited by Jack Hammer; 12-04-2016 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by LVFit
lol....OH! Jesus..... Sigh. Why do they do it this way? What a hassle. I have to open the back door to load my back seat very often when I get in my car. This is a huge hassle every time. And why do they open ALL the doors when its opened from the passenger side or the rear hatch? I've heard people say it's for safety reasons (car jacking) but that's a really dumb reason for Honda to program it this way.
I feel your pain. After fiddling around with the menus and reading the manual, I was still unable to achieve my desired door locking/unlocking setting. It's strange, because I also own a 2016 CR-V Touring AWD and it was simple to set to unlock all doors with smart key access. They say it's for safety, but they said that when I had the remote starter installed and complained that the vehicle shuts off when you open the door?! That's the main reason I purchased it, so I could start it from inside my home and then once it's nice and warmed up I can hop in and drive off. Hell, my 2013 Durango was able to do that from factory. Why would you want to remote start a vehicle, just for it to shut off and have to restart once inside the vehicle?

Again, first world problems, but it's all relative. We complain about our cell phone plans, meanwhile others around the world are unaware that cell phones exist.

Last edited by T0M ACE; 01-19-2017 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:05 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by T0M ACE
I feel your pain. After fiddling around with the menus and reading the manual, I was still unable to achieve my desired door locking/unlocking setting. It's strange, because I also own a 2016 CR-V Touring AWD and it was simple to set to unlock all doors with smart key access. They say it's for safety, but they said that when I had the remote starter installed and complained that the vehicle shuts off when you open the door?! That's the main reason I purchased it, so I could start it from inside my home and then once it's nice and warmed up I can hop in and drive off. Hell, my 2013 Durango was able to do that from factory. Why would you want to remote start a vehicle, just for it to shut off and have to restart once inside the vehicle?

Again, first world problems, but it's all relative. We complain about our cell phone plans, meanwhile others around the world are unaware that cell phones exist.
And that's why I didn't opt for the remote starter. I thought it was silly to shutoff once the door opened. Other cars w/ remote start don't do that.

Old 01-22-2017, 07:28 PM
5 Year Member
this is a "safety feature"

honda cares for your safety and they don't want to get sued when someone opens the passenger door after following you to the car because you were stupid and set the drivers door to open all doors.

Old 01-22-2017, 08:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bigbacon
this is a "safety feature"

honda cares for your safety and they don't want to get sued when someone opens the passenger door after following you to the car because you were stupid and set the drivers door to open all doors.
It is hard to dispute anyone, Honda or you in this case to claim this feature to be a safety requirement, just like you can't dispute someone saying god told me so. So, having to push the unlock twice will overcomes the safety issue? Taking away the consumer option to set the way he wants the locking feature to function is unnecessary. I am sure that if I had the electric diagram I can overcome having to push the unlock button twice to unlock all doors.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wasserball
It is hard to dispute anyone, Honda or you in this case to claim this feature to be a safety requirement, just like you can't dispute someone saying god told me so. So, having to push the unlock twice will overcomes the safety issue? Taking away the consumer option to set the way he wants the locking feature to function is unnecessary. I am sure that if I had the electric diagram I can overcome having to push the unlock button twice to unlock all doors.
I am not sure how to read this. I hope you understood the sarcasm in my post.

It is really stupid that they don't give you the choice.

Old 01-23-2017, 08:50 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bigbacon
I am not sure how to read this. I hope you understood the sarcasm in my post.

It is really stupid that they don't give you the choice.
Got it. I thought you were serious. What is the manufacture's responsibility? "Quality controls and more rigorous testing to ensure safety". A quote from Samsung CEO on their Galaxy Note 7 battery issue.

Last edited by wasserball; 01-23-2017 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:42 PM
5 Year Member
Here's my contribution to this thread. Seeing how the Fit is a Japanese car, made in Japan and crazy popular in Japan (I'm here on business as I write this), the engineers just overlooked changing the wireless unlock feature for the American market. All the doors unlock on our cars if you open from the passenger door - which in Japan would be the drivers door.

My .02yen.

DaveGee

Old 01-23-2017, 04:34 PM
5 Year Member
But all the door-locking and window-regulating electronics are on the left-front door on a USDM Fit. They have swapped left for right for the USDM market (unlike the rear wiper, which is on the wrong side in a USDM Fit). I don't think the L-R issue is the reason.

Old 05-16-2018, 11:10 PM
Why I bought my car the dealer actually changed my car from unlocking all the doors from the drivers door handle, to just the drivers door.

He did it by doing some sequence of inputs, similar to the door lock/unlock modes described in the manual, but to be clear, this changed when you put your hand into the drivers exterior door handle, which doors unlocked.

Now I want to change this, but I don't remember the sequence. Does anyone know?

Old 05-17-2018, 08:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ej8tofit
Why I bought my car the dealer actually changed my car from unlocking all the doors from the drivers door handle, to just the drivers door.

He did it by doing some sequence of inputs, similar to the door lock/unlock modes described in the manual, but to be clear, this changed when you put your hand into the drivers exterior door handle, which doors unlocked.

Now I want to change this, but I don't remember the sequence. Does anyone know?
That's what this thread is all about! Supposedly it's not an option, at least it's not on my '15 EX. Maybe later model years have it? Personally I don't see the big deal, just reach for the fob and click twice. Problem solved.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bach
That's what this thread is all about! Supposedly it's not an option, at least it's not on my '15 EX. Maybe later model years have it? Personally I don't see the big deal, just reach for the fob and click twice. Problem solved.
I remember reading somewhere here that the 2018 refresh includes a customizable lock option, so, if it's a 2018, it should be possible to open all 4 doors when pressing the door button. But not on the earlier GKs.

Old 05-17-2018, 12:01 PM
exl 500 is correct. On my 2018 i am able to go into the display and cycle through vehicle settings to control lock functions. Now when driver's side is touched, all doors unlock. You can also control whether doors automatically unlock when you go into park, and when doors automatically lock once driving. It is also where you turn off/on the walk away auto lock feature.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:40 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i always prefer the doors don’t unlock when going into park or when engine is shut off. . also unlocking all doors from the driver door. just asking to be car jacked.