Winter heat - Page 4 - Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Winter heat

Old 11-07-2017, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by bladhmadh View Post
the AC was more than adequate for an Alabama summer. The only issue was when you first start in a hot car and are sitting in traffic. once the car is moving its fine. once the car is cooled off its fine. I could see the heater being an issue especially having to use outside air when using defrost
I found the AC to be inadequate. Yes, it cooled less when sitting in traffic. Even if the car was brought down to a comfortable termperature before the stop-and-go started, sitting still for a couple minutes caused the car to get warmer. It wasn't just the air coming out of the ducts that got warmer, but the whole comfort level in the passenger compartment went down. Plus any time it was more than 85 deg F outside, and sunny, the car took 20 minutes to cool down to a comfortable level. Open a door for 10 seconds and the car got warm again, and it took another 10 minutes to cool down again.

Yes the heat was slow also, but better than the AC. There is no fuel efficiency reason why the heat should be inadequate. I am pretty sure there was plenty of engine heat being wasted, warming up the outdoors, instead of being brought into the car.

Old 01-31-2019, 02:19 AM
Many cars get condensation built up over time. My Fit seems to have done it early in life . I'm going to try a trick I read about putting kitty litter in pantyhose (sans the woman of course ).

Back to the OP. My heater seems on the week side. The fan seems week as well. I wonder if the inside air filter is clogged (I bought it used and sometimes I smell cigarette smoke when I use the HVAC).

A couple of things I've noticed regarding weather about my 2015 FIT...... The inset windshield is great for deflecting light rain and snow at speed but is a bugger to clean snow off of. Also thanks to the huge windshield (long wiper arms tend to loose spring tension ) and a square acre black plastic dash, the solar heating was way too much on any sunny day. I bought a light grey dash mat and seat covers and the problem is 90% solved.

Just my .02 worth

Old 01-31-2019, 07:32 AM
In the past, I used flexible quilted aluminum insulation (heat reflective) on my car seat. Sitting on it bounced body heat back to me.....w/o needing heated seats.

Old 02-25-2019, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by johnbogle View Post
Many cars get condensation built up over time. My Fit seems to have done it early in life . I'm going to try a trick I read about putting kitty litter in pantyhose (sans the woman of course ).

Back to the OP. My heater seems on the week side. The fan seems week as well. I wonder if the inside air filter is clogged (I bought it used and sometimes I smell cigarette smoke when I use the HVAC).

A couple of things I've noticed regarding weather about my 2015 FIT...... The inset windshield is great for deflecting light rain and snow at speed but is a bugger to clean snow off of. Also thanks to the huge windshield (long wiper arms tend to loose spring tension ) and a square acre black plastic dash, the solar heating was way too much on any sunny day. I bought a light grey dash mat and seat covers and the problem is 90% solved.

Just my .02 worth
Thanks for the info about the dash mat helping. I noticed how hot the huge area of black plastic under the windshield got, and how it seemed to reflect heat into my upper body, and thought that a dash mat of material that was lighter in color, textured like fabric or carpet, and with less reflectiveness would definitely help some, but wasn't sure how much so I've been holding off on the making the expense. Now I feel more confident that it won't be a waste of money, if I buy one. Interestingly the black seats don't seem to feel hot when I get into the car. I think it is because it is textured fabric rather than hard plastic. Same for the black supposed "carpet" on the floor. I did buy custom fitted Berber style carpet floor mats, from here, in their "medium gray" color. I think it greatly improves the appearnce. Its nice to have real carpet on the floor but I don't think it helps keep the car cool. I didn't notice any decrease in noise either. I might add that the quality of the carpeting was very nice. It had waterproof rubber backing with little nibs to keep the carpet from sliding around. The front mats were cut nicely but the grommets were not really a good fit for the hold-down devices in the car's floor. Also, they did not cut the rear mat as carefully as I would have liked. I got the one-piece rear mat with the connecting strip between the left and right side. The connecting strip was cut at an angle. It was about 1 or 2 centimeters out, from being straight. You don't notice it if you aren't looking for it but if you look at the strip and ask yourself, is it straight, you see right away that it is not.

If you send them a comment or question via the form on the web site, and leave your email address, or start an order, leave your email address, but neglect to finish the order, you may eventually get an email offer for a few percentage points off the listed price. $187.95 seems rather high.

Old 03-15-2019, 09:40 PM
The heater is fantastic. My wife who has Lupus is literally cold 95% of her entire life, and the heater in our '15 EX is too much for her on 3 and 4 fan speed (at full heat).

I agree the A/C is one of the worst I've ever felt... but I feel like the bigger problem is simply low quality/insufficient coverage insulation. When we turn the heat down, the car gets cold in under 2 minutes. I regularly feel drafts with everything off and all windows/doors/sunroof closed. It just bleeds any sort of climate control.