3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Resetting TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 05:17 PM
5 Year Member
Resetting TPMS

Does anyone else have trouble setting the TPMS after rotating tires or adjusting air pressure? Rarely, it works the way it's supposed to, but usually, it does nothing. For the past three days, I've been unable to reset it.

Old 12-23-2016, 06:34 PM
5 Year Member
I've never had to reset mine in two years. Not after adding air, rotating tires or swapping all four tires/wheels with snow tires.

Old 12-23-2016, 07:04 PM
5 Year Member
One of my tires has a slow leak. I check them every month, but on the few occasions it's gotten away from me and the TPMS came on, it was easy to reset after re-inflation.

Old 12-23-2016, 09:06 PM
No problems, it's EZ.

My favorite bit is seeing new owners post here about how flummoxed they are by the TPMS.

It's not entirely intuitive I'll grant you, but you can figure out.

Old 12-23-2016, 10:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverEX15
Does anyone else have trouble setting the TPMS after rotating tires or adjusting air pressure? Rarely, it works the way it's supposed to, but usually, it does nothing. For the past three days, I've been unable to reset it.
Shut the doors,
start the engine,
wait 5 seconds..
Push the tire reset button and hold it until the (_!_) light on the cluster flashes (about 3 seconds)
Did you get it to do that?

What happens next?

Old 12-24-2016, 08:44 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
for me it usually comes on after pressuring up the tire in the fall or swapping wheel for winter and I need to reset it once or twice. but after dat, no issue (usually).

you can just press the reset button while stopped at a light too, if you can reach it. it's down near the fuel release latch and hood latch thingie, just above it.

Old 12-24-2016, 12:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
I've never had to reset mine in two years. Not after adding air, rotating tires or swapping all four tires/wheels with snow tires.
You obviously have a problem. Better get that car to the dealer right away.

Old 12-24-2016, 01:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ezone
Shut the doors,
start the engine,
wait 5 seconds..
Push the tire reset button and hold it until the (_!_) light on the cluster flashes (about 3 seconds)
Did you get it to do that?

What happens next?
That light doesn't flash. I've been doing this several times a day for almost a week. Today, it worked as it was supposed to. Sometimes it works immediately. It's a mystery.

Old 12-25-2016, 06:59 AM
5 Year Member
That light doesn't flash. I've been doing this several times a day for almost a week. Today, it worked as it was supposed to. Sometimes it works immediately. It's a mystery.
I've noticed that as well. My wife's 2015 LX has about 16K miles, and I rotate tires and swap winter/summer as well, so I've done it a number of times. Note that the owner's manual does NOT say to start the car (just ignition ON). Last time (few days ago), I got into car, closed door, turned ignition ON, waited until TPMS lamp went OFF, then held the button in until the TPMS lamp flashed twice.

Everything's been fine since then, and this was the least fussy of the numerous times I've done it. In general, once I've done a reset where I was able to have the lamp flash twice, everything's OK until next rotation or swap. The apparently non-intuitive part is how to make that lamp flash twice . . .

I also have a theory (that I haven't proven) that interaction between a smartphone and the car's audio system has something to do with it, since once when I was having considerable difficulty, I turned the Bluetooth off on my phone and the TPMS reset worked next try. But I have no explanation for that . . .

Old 12-25-2016, 07:32 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cookiemech
I also have a theory (that I haven't proven) that interaction between a smartphone and the car's audio system has something to do with it, since once when I was having considerable difficulty, I turned the Bluetooth off on my phone and the TPMS reset worked next try. But I have no explanation for that . . .
Good idea.

Old 12-27-2016, 09:06 AM
I've noticed that as well. My wife's 2015 LX has about 16K miles, and I rotate tires and swap winter/summer as well, so I've done it a number of times. Note that the owner's manual does NOT say to start the car (just ignition ON). Last time (few days ago), I got into car, closed door, turned ignition ON, waited until TPMS lamp went OFF, then held the button in until the TPMS lamp flashed twice.

Everything's been fine since then, and this was the least fussy of the numerous times I've done it. In general, once I've done a reset where I was able to have the lamp flash twice, everything's OK until next rotation or swap. The apparently non-intuitive part is how to make that lamp flash twice . . .

Turning off the Bluetooth just worked for me. Also left the radio off

Old 12-27-2016, 09:31 AM
Good idea... I'll remember that ( turn off blue tooth on phone) when I swap out the winter tires and reset the TPMS. Thanks

Old 12-27-2016, 01:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bladhmadh
Turning off the Bluetooth just worked for me. Also left the radio off
Good. Then maybe I didn't just imagine the difference!

Old 12-27-2016, 04:26 PM
Good. Then maybe I didn't just imagine the difference!
You just saved me several hours at the dealership. This is the second time the TPMS wouldn't reset after activating. The last time the dealership reset it when I replaced the tire. I'll tell the service manager the fix next time I go in. Thanks again