3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

What The FIT?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 11:31 AM
5 Year Member
My own opinion is that if you are still on a Honda warranty or some kind of extended warranty you should stay with official Honda fluids. I don't think you save much by going elsewhere especially not if you are looking for similar quality.

Incidentally I recently watched 3 or 4 videos on YouTube on changing the Fit CVT fluid and only one of those videos showed a proper procedure for changing the fluid, using all 3 transmission plugs and following Honda's recommended steps. It was a little disturbing to see none of the people using protective gloves to keep the oil from coming into contact with their skin.

Old 06-22-2017, 04:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Colonel Panik
When I posted that I would not buy another Honda I should have said "another new Honda" I am actively searching for a 7th gen Civic, 2001 - 2005.

Great idea, I will get those VINs and decode them. It will be interesting.

KentFinn Get off the road, you are too old! lol
My first car was a 1957 VW and it used part of the jack stuff to do a manual crank, It had a starter the crank was just a German redundancy.
I used it all the time, thought it looked "cool". Second car was a VW Transporter 1960,
same deal.

@fitchet, The FIT went into the LIMP mode, went from 40+mpg to -20mpg. Did not start well at all. This is an Arnold Schwarzenegger problem, "I'll be back!"

Bad/weak battery?, I just checked and after standing all night it was 12.7 volts, its good. Those sensors are sensitive, small voltage drop could mess them up.

I have found some good Honda dealers, they can't all be bad. Just not in my present area.

Do any of you have a source for the CVT fluid? Not Honda but equal?
Too old!!! I'll get off the road when I decide. But my mother in law scared the hell out of me when she was 80. Last time I rode with her she was making u turns, wrong way on one ways. That was about 15 years ago. 20 years prior I drove her 1957 VW.

The nearby to Nashville Honda dealers, Madison Honda (was Trickett), Crest Honda (part of Sonic Automotive ... not fast food), and Waltrip Honda (yes, Daryl ... boogdie boogdie). There's a fourth nearby, but I've had no experience with them.

Manual transmission 'cause I like 'em. CVTs no experience with them but I understand that Honda's are among the best, improved on the original Toyota design. Although entirely different, CVTs sound too much like the old Chevy PowerGlide and the Buick DynaFlow in feel if not operation. (Pausing now for lecture on differences.)

Old 06-23-2017, 04:32 PM
5 Year Member
As far as I know, there is no Honda Fit -"Limp Mode". And if there is? I'd highly believe that being in it, would result in readable codes.
This is your own original description of what happened:

"Our FIT was on the way home from a rather long road trip and started putting up various lights,
Tire pressure and the Auto headlight were first, those headlights were
going on and off. Car seem to be in the "limp" mode. The OBD was read and there
were no codes. Tires checked and were perfect. The problems went away and the
trip was completed."

You are now saying your MPG plummeted?

So I'm not sure what you mean by "Limp Mode".
Headlights coming off and on....
And TPMS light coming on...
Are very specific happenings.
If the OBD was correctly read, and no codes manifested, I would speculate the vehicle was in no "mode", otherwise readable codes would exist.

I find your problems to be hard to follow as you continue to contrast and compare two IMO very different situations with two different Honda Fits.
And then expand the definition of what you say is happening with your Fit.

What was the sample size for this massive MPG plummet?
How did you determine that your MPG's had suddenly nose dived?

I don't see how an illuminated TPMS light, when the tires check out fine as far as PSI, and headlights mysteriously going on and off would so severely impact MPG.

But you are closer to the vehicles than I am.
So I simply wish you good luck.