3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Intermittent Parking Brake Light

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 05:43 PM
Intermittent Parking Brake Light

On my 2017 SE I have noticed that the parking light does not always turn off when I start the car and disengage the parking brake. Last time it happened I decided to drive with the light on and the light and sound started to beep thinking that the brake was engaged. I then had to pull over engage the parking brake and disengage twice until it finally went out.

I know its an idiot light so its nothing to be worried about, but has anyone else experienced this before?

Old 06-22-2017, 10:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by honestrands
On my 2017 SE I have noticed that the parking light does not always turn off when I start the car and disengage the parking brake. Last time it happened I decided to drive with the light on and the light and sound started to beep thinking that the brake was engaged. I then had to pull over engage the parking brake and disengage twice until it finally went out.

I know its an idiot light so its nothing to be worried about, but has anyone else experienced this before?
It sounds like the parking brake needs adjusting. Do a search and a member called stembridge detailed how he did it. Your still under warranty I'm assuming with a 2017 so another option is the dealership.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:04 PM
sjd
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by honestrands
Not exactly true. Usually when the parking brake light comes on and off intermittently it means that the brake fluid is low due to the brake pads being worn out. However, I don't think this is the case in your situation and would get the car into the dealer if it is still under warranty.

Old 09-28-2021, 07:08 PM
My 2019 LX brake light now doesn't come on when I apply my parking brake (rear LX brakes are the tried and true drum style brakes) - likely due to a failed switch. Taking it in under warranty.

keywords: parking brake light, parking light, brake light, GK, 3rd gen, dash parking light

Old 10-15-2021, 10:53 AM
Solution found - the parking brake switch WAS NEVER CONNECTED at the factory to the factory harness. Hmmm...another strike against the Honda Mexico fit and finish quality (and quality checks working before departure from the plant). Fixed under warranty at 30K miles.

Dealer also confirmed that my brake fluid was filthy (fluid clear but a significant amount of very fine dark gray sediment in the brake reservoir,,,I had already exchanged the fluid in the reservoir once at ~ 23K miles). I had to pay for a $100 brake fluid flush and fluid exchange to rectify that - Honda code BR18