3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

bike rack?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 10:29 PM
I'm new to Fit life, but not new to bikes or racks.

Cheapest option is to get the bike to fit in the car:
Take wheels, pedals, and handlebars off (leave cables attached)
If it still doesn't fit, the next cheapest option is to go to your LBS, and get a bike shipping box from them, put the bike in it (partially disassembled as above) and strap the box/bike on the roof of your Fit. (of course put some blankets under it to prevent scratching)
If you don't want to do that see any of the options above.

Maybe this is rude, but I'm making the assumption that the bike isn't that nice (else I assume you'd already have a rack to carry it around). So I'll ask the pragmatic question, should you just sell it and buy another once you get settled?

If you decide to buy a rack, (roof, trunk or hitch) just know the name brands are better designed to not damage your vehicle. For the best value I'd look on craigslist or similar but I wouldn't be particular about brand, as long as it's a good one. Personally, I've had good experience with Yakima, Thule, Kuat, and Saris... just don't get some junky off brand one and then complain when you get a scratch.

Let me know if you want advice on how to partially disassemble for shipping.

Old 07-18-2017, 02:04 AM
5 Year Member
Before I got my Thule roof rack I used an Allen hatch rack all last summer and part of this one with no problem. I would have absolutely no worry using the Allen on a long distance trip. I loved the compact design.The straps don't attach to the spoiler, they attach to the hatch. I still use it when my GF wants to ride with me. I already had the Thule bars and rack from my ex GTI. All I needed was the "feet" to fit the FIT. Pack your car, secure your Allen rack and bike, have a safe trip.

Last edited by tsand19151; 07-18-2017 at 02:31 AM.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:00 AM
5 Year Member
Take it apart. I mean really apart. Wheels, handle bars, maybe front fork, etc. Otherwise get a box and ship it. Check with Greyhound for cheap station to station rates.

Old 07-20-2017, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by bargainguy
Haven't taken a long trip with my '16 LX and the Bones rack, but I took two round trips from Wisconsin to California in my GD3 ('08 Sport) with 3 bikes on the Bones rack. That Bones rack took me through 70mph winds on I-80 in Wyoming with no problems.

If you use the Bones rack on any car, a few tips:

1. If you're only transporting one bike, use the bike holder loops farthest away from the vehicle. Less chance of the bike damaging your vehicle that way.

2. If you're transporting more than one bike, stagger the bikes in opposite directions, otherwise the handlebars can get tangled up.

3. For the loose ends of the straps that attach the rack to the vehicle, tie off the bike wheels through the spokes so that they don't spin while the car is in motion. You especially don't want the rear wheel to spin with the car in motion, as that can start the crankset on the bike spinning, and that could damage a bumper or trunk lid.

4. If you don't have enough length on the loose ends of the straps, use a bungee cord to secure the wheels. Reason I mention this - I've attached a Bones rack to a lot of different vehicles, and there are a few - the Prius comes to mind - where the distance to the top of the hatch is so long that there isn't much strap left to tie off the wheels. Not a problem on the Fits because the distance to the top of the hatch is not that far.

5. You want the arms that attach to the car (not the bike holder arms) to be in kind of a wishbone formation to keep the bikes as far away from the vehicle as possible. I've seen people do the opposite, flattening the curve on the vehicle arms to the point where the vehicle arms are almost pointing in opposite directions. Bad idea, as this actually makes the entire rack less stable, and increases the possibility that one of the bikes will make contact with your vehicle, which you obviously don't want.

6. Each Bones rack has two bicycle holder arms with two loops for each bike. In addition, there are three auxiliary straps on the Bones rack that are meant to hold a vertical frame tube, further securing the bikes. Use them. I did for my trips in those 70mph winds on I-80 in Wyoming.
This is super helpful! I'm just slightly nervous, because on Saris's website it looks like the only trunk rack that they've rated for the Fit is the Sentinel, which (despite its much better price tag) seems flimsy and not secure for 16 hours of highway driving. I called their customer service rep and they told me that the Bones won't work for the Fit because of the weak spoiler--the rep said he'd seen spoilers come off. So now I'm stuck between a rack I've heard many people say works on the Fit but that the sales rep says won't work, and a much cheaper but also less reliable rack.

Ughhhh.

Old 07-22-2017, 03:02 PM
5 Year Member
i've used a 4 bike trunk mount from allen with no problems. even long road trips from toronto to indiana. i wrapped the metal clips with electrical tape to provide a bit of cushioning for the paint.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:13 AM
Originally Posted by roryc
This is super helpful! I'm just slightly nervous, because on Saris's website it looks like the only trunk rack that they've rated for the Fit is the Sentinel, which (despite its much better price tag) seems flimsy and not secure for 16 hours of highway driving. I called their customer service rep and they told me that the Bones won't work for the Fit because of the weak spoiler--the rep said he'd seen spoilers come off. So now I'm stuck between a rack I've heard many people say works on the Fit but that the sales rep says won't work, and a much cheaper but also less reliable rack.

Ughhhh.
Does the Sentinel "seem" flimsy,not secure, less reliable, or is it actually those things?

You're in analysis paralysis, dude. :-) I feel your pain.

Pick one, and when you actually put it on, do it in such a way that makes your comfortable (towels to protect the car, or extra straps to secure the bike or rack... if the stock package doesn't give you warm fuzzies)

Old 07-23-2017, 10:25 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by roryc
not secure for 16 hours of highway driving . . . . Ughhhh.
If I had my car stuffed with all my possessions, the last thing I'd want is my bike dangling off the back. Do yourself and your Fit a favor, box the bike and ship it to the new location. It will help you enjoy the 16 hour road trip. I love road trips.

Old 07-23-2017, 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by bradybeckham
Does the Sentinel "seem" flimsy,not secure, less reliable, or is it actually those things?
according to reviews people's bikes have flown off of it at highway speeds .

An update for folks: I bought a compact single bike allen rack that was rated for the Fit and tried it on my car yesterday. It was super unweildly and I wouldn't trust it going over 40 mph.

Today I'm gonna try out my old trusty heavy 4 bike Allen rack that I have from a previous car. If that fails, I'm not sure what I'll do.

Old 07-23-2017, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by Press Fit
If I had my car stuffed with all my possessions, the last thing I'd want is my bike dangling off the back. Do yourself and your Fit a favor, box the bike and ship it to the new location. It will help you enjoy the 16 hour road trip. I love road trips.
I love road trips too and completely agree. The problem with shipping is mainly that it would require me to completely disassemble my bike, which seems like a huge pain in the ass. After disassembling it, I'd have to individually wrap each piece in styrofoam and zip-ties, and then when it comes in the mail I'd have to fix it again. With all the other hectic tasks of moving, having my bike come to me in one piece would be ideal.

Old 09-21-2017, 02:38 PM
5 Year Member
Harbor Freight has a hitch rack for $40. Only negative is the arms don't fold. I'm very happy with mine.

Old 09-21-2017, 03:13 PM
5 Year Member

Interesting!

Looks interesting.

Last edited by Press Fit; 09-21-2017 at 03:20 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:19 PM
5 Year Member
A Marin, eh? I just bought the redesigned Muirwoods last summer and like it a lot.

I haven't tried putting it in the Fit, but I bet it will fit just fine. Otherwise, I have an older Performance Bike hitch rack that I use on the Forester.