3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Fit fixin in Alexandria or Arlington, VA

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 08:48 AM
Fit fixin in Alexandria or Arlington, VA

Good morning,

I'm interested in having a rear sway bar and a few other modifications added to my Fit in the future. I'd prefer to purchase the equipment (Progress sway bar, coilovers, etc.) then have the equipment installed by someone who knows what they're doing. I'd rather not pay for mark up of gear by purchasing through a shop.

I live in Alexandria, VA, and am interested in reputable Honda performance mechanics in Alexandria, Arlington, or even Maryland who won't take me to the cleaner$. Do you guys have any recommendations?

Thanks for any input.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:30 AM
5 Year Member
I used to live along Rt. 1, so here are your repairpal.com mechanics that are recommended:
https://repairpal.com/honda-repair-i...virginia-22308

Also: Steven's Auto Clinic on Route 1 was always top rated. My personal mechanic was Huntington Car Care across from the Metro. They took care of my car for 20 years. Easy to take your car there and take the train to work. PM me if you need any more details.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:33 AM
5 Year Member
https://www.yelp.com/biz/japanese-auto-city-alexandria

I live right near this place and have only heard good things about them. Haven't had the chance to take my Fit or 4Runner there, but would do so without hesitation if I needed work done (I get my maintenance/work done in Philly at my dad's repair shop).

Old 06-28-2017, 12:07 PM
This is fantastic; thanks so much!!! Route 1 is really close!!

I've tried google searches and made a few phone calls, but hadn't quite found what I was looking for.

Old 06-28-2017, 02:37 PM
Diy

I dont like other people working on my car. If it's the simple stuff then do it yourself is best and save money. If you can change oil, brakes, rotor and rotate tires, then you can do sways and suspension.

Old 06-28-2017, 03:15 PM
5 Year Member
The sway bar is easy to do. It's like 4 bolts and just need to lift up the back of the vehicle. No special equipment needed and can save on install price to put toward more gear.

Old 06-28-2017, 04:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
The sway bar is easy to do. It's like 4 bolts and just need to lift up the back of the vehicle. No special equipment needed and can save on install price to put toward more gear.
Agreed .... super easy install, a no brainer, really.

Old 07-02-2017, 12:20 PM
5 Year Member
Okay, why sway bars? What will they do for my FIT?

Old 07-03-2017, 07:50 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
it will prevent the car from rolling left/right while turning to maintain the stability of the car especially while doing fast directional changes.

imho though, what the fit needs is a bigger front swaybar, stickier tires, and LSD to prevent understeer. people immediately think bigger front swaybar will = understeer, but it is not the case unless one uses a HUGE bar that would cause understeer off throttle.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:06 AM
I appreciate all of this information. My short-term goals are to plant the rear end a little better. Since I live in an apartment, I don't really have the equipment/space to do these mods on my own (used to have a house - long boring story).

Regarding the sway bar, I thought I'd start on the rear then move toward a new set of coilovers. Was considering some Swift or Eibach springs but the wisdom from this forum stated that stiffer coilovers would be a better long-term solution than springs over OEM struts/shocks.

Regarding the front end, I hadn't looked into a front sway bar for the Fit primarily for concerns about understeer. However, the thickness of such a bar may influence this? Have seen Tanabe (sp?) strut braces, but my general research indicates that such an item would be a waste of money for the Fit. Is this correct?

Old 07-03-2017, 09:09 AM
Originally Posted by kenchan
...imho though, what the fit needs is a bigger front swaybar, stickier tires, and LSD to prevent understeer....
What is "LSD?" I assume you don't mean lysergic acid diethylamide.

Old 07-03-2017, 01:20 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
haha, Limited Slip Differential