Will a 2018 head unit work in a 2015 model?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 11:22 AM
5 Year Member
Will a 2018 head unit work in a 2015 model?

The 2018 head unit seems way better than the one in the 2015 model, with Android Auto and the volume knob.
Does anyone know if it has compatibility?

Old 08-20-2017, 09:26 AM
It will not. HU is tied to the VIN# of the vehicle. In theory if you bought the head unit directly from a honda dealer, they may have some way to flash the HU memory with your VIN#, but thats way more money than anyone would want to spend. HU is connected to the CANBUS network of the car. Even if you disconnected that link, the HU will not unlock.

Old 12-12-2018, 07:00 AM
I dont think is plug and play. The harness in back is different. 2015 radio vs 2018. See photo. Alot of work for rewiring harness.

Old 12-12-2018, 07:08 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, if you can tap the wires it can work (like u tapping in an aftermarket stereo), but u may not get full functionality... i suggest you go aftermarket even if u do lose the right blindspot mirror camera view thingie which imho is overrated.

Old 12-12-2018, 10:13 PM
5 Year Member
Take this for what its worth, but I asked the same question to 2 different local dealer parts and service guys here in calgary, canada, and every single one of them kept telling me why i wouldn't want to do it because its expensive, however. they kept also saying that there is no such VIN# pairing tie in... so i'm not quite sure whos right, the people here saying it or the honda people.

Old 12-13-2018, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by alpha-z
Take this for what its worth, but I asked the same question to 2 different local dealer parts and service guys here in calgary, canada, and every single one of them kept telling me why i wouldn't want to do it because its expensive, however. they kept also saying that there is no such VIN# pairing tie in... so i'm not quite sure whos right, the people here saying it or the honda people.

There was a guy on here named Ductapmaster who had done a huge deep dive on the hardware and software that exchanges information on the CANBUS. He discovered that yes the VIN# is transmitted over the CANBUS network to the HU. He was trying to unlock the HDMI to use the input while driving. His breadboard setup and custom coding he did initially did not pass the VIN# through, but he discovered that the HU would not go past the initial disclaimer screen, so he changed it to pass the VIN# info and that fixed the problem. What he created was an "intercept hack." A device that captures information from the CANBUS inbound to the HU, and it looks for specific 'frames' or hexidecimal code pertaining to the status of the car if it was in park and the speed sensor data. If the car was not in park and moving, the device would change that information and tell the HU it was not moving and in park despite the contrary. I helped him beta test his stuff before he abandoned the project

Bottom line what you propose is too costly. There are currently no radio adapter harnesses that fit the 2018+ HU.It may be another year before we see it. I have already talked with an engineer over in development at Metra to confirm this. The only alternative is to cut into the harness, and trust me, thats not easy as the wire slack is short. I have a very good component sound system, and while I want to have a better user interface experience with say android auto, etc, I am okay with the OEM HU. The lack of a volume knob dont see as too big of a deal. yeah its finicky but the steering wheel controls more than make up for that.

Hope this info helps. Let me know I can of further assistance. If you do tackle such an endeavor, please do post pictures and progress on the forums!

Old 12-13-2018, 03:09 PM
5 Year Member
i remember following his project back a year or two, was very promising.. sad to see it died.. what you say is correct. that doesn't however directly contradict what i just said.. because i dont believe that he ever confirmed if a specific vin# was required. or was it just any honda fit vin# number would work. would be an interesting test. but yes it would very expensive i dunno i'd probably try it at some point if i could get a cheap 2018 HU. solder a harness or something i dunno.

Old 02-04-2019, 11:55 PM
Yes i can

I'm from Mexico and I bought a 2018 radio on eBay with a seller called LKQ, with the intention of installing it in my Fit 2017, the harness is not the same, in my research I have come to conclude that the female harness is required for Civic 2016 or higher and 2 male harness for Fit 2017 or younger, I bought all three of the Metra brand but I have not managed to make it work.

I continued researching and found a seller on Facebook who lives in Malaysia who makes modifications to the cars but mostly uses harness P & P for cards adjustments, I bought one for the radio and took the opportunity to buy the reverse camera.

The radio turns on but I need the lock code which I could not get, I want to point out that previously purchased a radio on eBay with the seller LKQ, provided the VIN on the invoice, so ask to get the unlock code in https://radio-navicode.honda.com (you need the VIN and the serial number of the equipment)

On this occasion they also provided me with the VIN, the serial number of the radio is obtained from its label, however, when filling in the information on the Honda page it says that they are not coincident.

in that I'm stuck for now, I can not start the team for lack of the unlocked catch, do not know if they have any suggestions?

I leave some pictures and videos about my progress, I hope I can help you as a reference in your projects.

Seller harnes