3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Which Remote Start is better? (2018)

Old 07-06-2018, 08:09 PM
Which Remote Start is better? (2018)

I'm talking specifically about the 2018 model here - not sure if any of the other Gen 3's have the same options.
Our dealership can install a Flashlogic or a DEI unit.
The Flashlogic works using the existing smart key and they say it has a range of up to 400 feet.
The DEI unit has a separate keyfob and they say it has a range of up to 1200 feet.

I can't find very much information about either one online. I'm trying to decide which one better suits my needs.
The last thing I need is another keyfob in my pocket all the time, but if the 400 foot range they're talking about is like most things, where they mean "on a perfect day with clear line of sight and everything just right, you can get it to work from 400 feet but really you'll be lucky to get half that"... it's not so great.

So does anyone have experience with either of these? Likes, dislikes? Any recommendations for making the decision one way or the other?

Also, anyone have any DIY experience with either one? Allegedly the DEI unit is only sold directly to dealers, but I've seen some places selling what I'm pretty sure is the right Flashlogic kit (which is supposed to be the easier one to install).

Old 07-06-2018, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator
I had an older viper smart start unit. It had the two way remote. It definitely can do 1200+ feet given no interference in between like a large building. If you had smart start also, you can use the app to start your car, then range is unbound. I was halfway across the world and I will remote start the car at the airport parking lot to keep the battery charge.

DEI owns most of the brands available out there now, Clifford, Viper etc. You can find them at most aftermarket shops. You will need to get a bypass module to program your immobilizer key with. Better to get a shop to do it. Most can be done <500. Dealer would charge you more of course and would not mean a better installation.

Old 07-07-2018, 10:54 AM
I know that DEI and Flashlogic white label most all of the remote start units out there - like most things anymore you're buying something made by one company that has another company's name slapped on it. If a big company wants a phone app that works just like an existing one, there's no point in building it from scratch. They simply buy a license from the original app, put their logos on it, and maybe change the color of the UI to the corporate colors.

The problem I'm having is that I can buy A or B from the dealership.

Aside from the pro/con list I have shown above, I don't have much information. There isn't an Amazon page for each item for me to go look up reviews on. As far as I can tell there's no discussion of either unit on a forum anywhere, let alone both in relation to each other.

That's what I'm trying to learn: what people who have experience with one or both of the remote starts in question like and don't like about them so I can make an informed decision rather than basing it entirely on "fob/no fob" and range.

Old 07-09-2018, 01:49 PM
5 Year Member
I had my dealer install the OE remote starter on my 2016 EX-L. Please note that if your 2018 has push button start, the engine will shut down automatically upon opening the door. You will need to re-start the engine ( I know, what a bummer! I wouldn't have gotten it installed had I known ).

Dealer took 5.5 hours to install (start to finish), while the honda OE installation instructions for dealer techs (*I got my hands on the install instructions online to see what's involved) says it should take a touch under 2 hours with the kit including everything you need. You can buy the kit online; it costs about $350 USD if I remember correctly.

Unless you are comfortable with electronics, I would not recommend DIY. You have to remove the dashboard to connect stuff, and there's a bracket to be drilled and installed, and the A pillar has to be taken apart to install the antenna connections & wiring. There are a lot of wires to be disconnected so they can be reconnected using the supplied harness.

They gave me a 2 way OE remote with it. I am glad I had the dealer do it since my car is still under bumper to bumper warranty. They have to also program the remote chip to pair it with the car.

A cheaper alternative is to get the existing key fob programmed to remote start the car upon pushing the lock button three consecutive times. But the harness + controller and the headache it comes with installing is still needed.