3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Random thought about K&N filters and DI

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 05:20 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Sono
A CAI such as K&N is just a free flow filter. Paper filters restrict air flow a tad bit because they are so dense to catch dust where the free flows use oil that dust "sticks" to in order to catch and clean the air. Engines breathe better with the free flow as motors are an "air pump" the more air that gets in the more that goes out as to why some also install larger exhaust pipes, throttle bodies...ect.... same as when adding a turbo, need bigger pies to get that air out otherwise theres nowhere for it to go and crates extreme back pressures.
Thanks I also currently have an HKS axle back and a ram air intake scoop. Maybe get a down pipe down the road but honestly the fit is my commuter car so don't want it sounding obnoxious on my hour+ commute.

And who doesn't like bigger pies!

Old 10-03-2017, 08:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
maybe not on your honda, but ive seen people's MAF get oiled from K&N cai's on 370Z's. so it not dealers making shitt up.
I don't know if a Nissan is a good point of reference. In my Nissan days we saw regular MAF and throttle body failures. Modified or bone stock didn't seem to make a difference. Everyone after the fact would look for the reason. I think the real reason is inferior, low bidder electronic parts.

Mine never failed, but the Nissan boards are littered with all kinds of electronic failures.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:26 AM
sjd
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
I don't know if a Nissan is a good point of reference. In my Nissan days we saw regular MAF and throttle body failures. Modified or bone stock didn't seem to make a difference. Everyone after the fact would look for the reason. I think the real reason is inferior, low bidder electronic parts.

Mine never failed, but the Nissan boards are littered with all kinds of electronic failures.
Agree. I have a friend who has a 370Z and thinks that Nissan is the Japanese GM. Cut costs until it fails and then take one step back.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:38 AM
5 Year Member
A side note on K&N filters,, the gain is proportional to the size of the motor,,,

I've dyno'd engines like a 1.5 NA motor and you won't see much difference.

But put a 400+ Sprint car engine on the dyno making 8-900 HP spinning 9500rpm
and switch from paper to a K&N or a Foam ITG filter and you'll see 12 -20 more HP.
With a 100 HP engine, your talking 1HP or so.. So no you won't see or feel it on a fit...

Old 10-03-2017, 12:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx
.. So no you won't see or feel it on a fit...
Wasn't asking for reasons other than might it contribute to coking in a DI engine, being "oiled" filters....as originally posted, just a random thought

Old 10-03-2017, 04:13 PM
CAI stands for cold air intake and it is a bit more involved than just a free flowing filter. wat you're referring to are wat we call K&N drop ins. as in drop in replacement filter.
Yes I know that ( just adding a tube ) but really no differences for the most part if it has all the connections as factory ( pvc, maf/map...ect..) the filter is the main thing that make a difference.
Some think a throttle body spacer makes a difference, really it doesn't do anything at all as its been tested. I had one on a monster truck, threw it away.

Old 10-03-2017, 04:33 PM
sjd
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx
With a 100 HP engine, your talking 1HP or so.. So no you won't see or feel it on a fit...
Agreed. I don't buy them for the "power" increase, I buy them because then I don't have to pay for and then throw away paper filters.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:32 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT

dont worry, it is. 370Z folks were actually having MAF problems with oils from K&N filters getting on them. not difficult to clean, just blast it with MAF cleaner or even RC motor spray, but just something to think about if one is worried about oiled filters.

dry filters are a good option, like R2C makes some killer filters. not sure if available for the Fits though.

Old 10-03-2017, 08:09 PM
5 Year Member
RC motor spray
Never heard of that. Is it a good alternative? Been using CRC electronic parts cleaner on our newer stuff. It really helps keep the fine wire sensors happy.

Old 10-04-2017, 12:55 PM
5 Year Member
yep it is, basically the same thing as the crc MAF cleaner.

with most rc motors becoming brushless, those sprays are getting harder to find and more expensive than before brushless became mainstream . i buy a case at a time and keep a can in my garage at all times. very good cleaner.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:44 AM
5 Year Member
My .02.... I've been using CRC products for years they make good stuff. I'm sure there are good alternatives that work, but us old guys like to stick with the familiar.

Old 10-06-2017, 12:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ashchuckton
...but us old guys like to stick with the familiar.
True ....and even older guys are even more stubborn .....my father in law still uses Slick 50 ....I didn't even know that shtuff still existed...LOL. He adds it after an oil change, so he's overfilling his oil, but he pays no mind, says it works great. As far as being "set in my ways," I still bottle carbonate my homebrewed adult beverages, and still use tube amplifiers when I plug my guitars in

Old 10-06-2017, 01:51 PM
5 Year Member
i'm not saying to use rc motor spray. i'm just saying that it works too.

u newbs need to learn how to read the internets

Old 10-07-2017, 03:11 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sjd
Agreed. I don't buy them for the "power" increase, I buy them because then I don't have to pay for and then throw away paper filters.
Ok there ya go making sense...

Your totally right there,, some cars the paper air filters are $$$$

My KTM street bike uses a 90 dollar paper air filter, when this one wears out its getting a ITG.