Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Oil catch cans, hose lines, plugs and tie downs.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 07:50 AM
Oil catch cans, hose lines, plugs and tie downs.

Well then a little bit of everything this morning.

On the "What did you do to the Fit today" a FitFreak installed an oil catch can. His engine bay was really nice. He has some braided lines in there and most of the OEM silicone tubing is aftermarket. I like this alot.

I will seperate my questions into 4 blocks and if you want you can quote these in replies.

Block One

Oil catch cans

Is there a lot of oil that is recycled from the engine to get burned off via the intake? Is this a legitimate problem that needs fixing? How does the oil catch can work? Is there a filter in the can or does gravity do the work? Some catch cans have air filters on top. Some have none. What are some reputable companies that make these. What should I look for in a catch can if I do get one? When I took off the OEM intake it left a big space there and two free brackets. Is that a good place to install a catch can?

Side question: How come the GD's with CAI have a tiny little filter where the hose used to be? On my GE a hose runs from the CAI body to this inlet. I don't understand this.

Block two

Silicone hoses

These look sharp IMO. What are some qualities I should be looking for in aftermarket silicone hoses? Are there some suppliers that are recommended? Kits for Fits? Apart from the radiator hoses what other ones have you changed? Braided lines anywhere?

Block 3

Spark plugs

A&J Racing sell those Denso Iridium Power Spark plugs. I think a lot of you have these it seems. Are those plugs cold ones that have a lower ignition point? Running a higher octane gas (91) with these cold plugs better for performance / engine wear / overall health of the engine?

Block 4

Battery tie down.

I've seen some aftermarket battery tie downs but most of those do not look as if they would fit on my GE8. (lots of Civic stuff out there) Anybody got a nice one installed? I may have to paint the OEM one to a nice colour. Prob blue.

How about that ugly battery terminal cover? Solutions to changing that out?

Have a good Saturday everyone.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:31 PM
Name:  OilCatchCan.jpg
Views: 1432
Size:  61.7 KB

Old 09-29-2012, 12:37 PM
Having a hard time believing a new fit has any blow by. Mabey an old Mini but not a new fit.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:48 PM
bump...looking for some advice

Old 09-30-2012, 10:27 AM
IMO sparkplugs are sparkplugs. Iridium plugs resist fouling and the work well in a engine thats worn out or improperly jetted/oil burner. Silicone hoses are bling, and can't remember when we have had a failure. The terminal cover hides more ugliness beneath.

Old 09-30-2012, 02:13 PM
5 Year Member
Catch cans are. Basically for looks on a n/a honda fit, however I think they look cool
Denso ik22s are a step cooler over stock. I want to say it advances the timing a little or rather tricks the ecu into doing it. I run them as well as 91 octaine and car feels much smoother during acceleration I don't believe the plugs alone are miracles but with high octaine gas and high pressure radiatior cap and silicone hoses maybe throw in a thermostat the ecu should be sufficently fooled. In my area there are many places that sell fancy colored hose just make sure it can tolerate whatever it'll be moving also check smog laws as silicone radiator hoses are not ok for smog in CA though I doubt anyone would notice a black plain silicone hose I have learned blue is frowned upon still need to send you a package dwayne. Ipromise it'll happen

Old 10-17-2012, 01:16 AM
I have a surplus WWII Eclipse-Pioneer Type 564 Model –2, Style –A, D51580 Oil Separator catch can. Was made for the engines on a B-25 bomber I believe. Nice aluminum can painted OD green. This unit has a 7/8-inch inside diameter and a 1-inch outside diameter. The unit is a Centerfugal design, with the inlet on the side and outlet on the top. The bottom has a ½ inch drain outlet with a knurled nut. But I don't think it necessary to install on the Fit's engine.