3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2015 EX: Cannot fully disable "child locks"

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 11:45 AM
Unhappy 2015 EX: Cannot fully disable "child locks"

I've read many threads here (and elsewhere) about the child safety locks on the rear doors, but not finding any narrative that relates to our Fit EX.

Our manual suggests I have 2 options for these rear doors:

1. (Manual door side switch in "lock" position) Under no circumstances whatsoever, even on a new moon and the month has an R in its name, can you open the rear door using the handle on the inside. Name any set of conditions you care to name, specify any procedure you care to specify; the rear doors CANNOT be opened using the INSIDE handle. If you are in the back seat and want to open the door, then roll down the window and open the door using the OUTSIDE door handle.

2. (Manual door side switch in "unlock" position). The rear doors can be opened using the INSIDE handles ONLY after the driver uses the the driver's door electronic, universal unlock rocker button.

We want to 100% disable all "child locks" or "safety locks" features of the rear doors. That is, when the interior handle is pulled, the rear doors should unlock in the same way as the front doors. We do not have children of an age that need this "feature." We have adult passengers only, and a lot of them. Finding out they cannot open their door until the driver unlocks it causes a moment of panic. This is REALLY bad for social taxi services and earns us negative reviews.

Please, how can we completely remove all aspects of any "child" or "safety" locks on the rear doors of our 2015 Fit EX? Willing to jockey with mechanical linkage if needed, but hoping there is some mystical procedure such as Open driver's door, stand on your head, press the Start button 17 times, sing Deutschlandlied while taking the tranny out of park and sacrifice your best watch to the garden gnomes. Or any other silly procedure that Honda engineers seem to love.

Last edited by TxFeller; 10-23-2017 at 11:48 AM.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:09 PM
5 Year Member
I don't know the answer, but mine doesn't do this. The doors open when I drop off passengers...getting in requires my override. Maybe it's in the manual?

Old 10-23-2017, 02:38 PM
5 Year Member
2. (Manual door side switch in "unlock" position). The rear doors can be opened using the INSIDE handles ONLY after the driver uses the the driver's door electronic, universal unlock rocker button.
All the passenger has to do is unlock the door and it can be opened from the inside.

Far too many are so used to power locks that they absolutely can't figure out how to push or pull the manual lock knob with a single finger.
These are the same people that would die trapped inside a locked car when the battery goes dead.

Old 10-23-2017, 03:01 PM
5 Year Member
Just set the car to never lock the doors automatically.

Old 10-23-2017, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by ezone
All the passenger has to do is unlock the door and it can be opened from the inside.<br /><br />Far too many are so used to power locks that they absolutely can't figure out how to push or pull the manual lock knob with a single finger.<br />These are the same people that would die trapped inside a locked car when the battery goes dead.
<br /><br />That works, and thanks.<br /><br />But to your political commentary and in my defense, I haven't owned a car since the 70s that required manually pulling/pushing/flipping/rocking/pressing the lock to operate the interior handle. This this this first car I've owned that's done that. I've owned Chevy (plus Pontiac, Buick, GMC), Ford (plus Continental), Chrysler (plus Dodge), Daimler, Jaguar, MG, BMW. None of them require manual operation of the locking knob/lever/rocker before using the interior handle. Just pull the interior handle, and the door unlocks.<br /><br />This is my first Asian car. So maybe the problem isn't people can't figure out that they need to push the lock but is instead the Asian car companies designing locks that do not match US or European makers' approach on the subject. It should be stated in the car owner's manual, which by the way, I studied at length before posting and not one word of different function from US makers was mentioned. I also went back to the dealer where I bought the car and neither the sales rep nor any of 3 service technicians could resolve the matter. So I guess I'm not so dumb if the the service techs can't figure it out, either.<br /><br />I thank you for pointing out the difference and resolving our issue. Hopefully this will help others who've never had the pleasure of the Asian car experience.<br />

Old 10-23-2017, 09:55 PM
5 Year Member
It should be stated in the car owner's manual,
See your owners manual, page 100, it describes the single motion feature for the front doors.

Copied:
Unlocking Using the Front Door Inner Handle

Pull the front door inner handle.
The door unlocks and opens in one motion.

The front door inner handles are designed to allow
front seat occupants to open the door in one motion.
However this feature requires that front seat
occupants never pull a front door inner handle while
the vehicle is in motion.

To me, the wording implies this is not featured on the rear doors.

For what it's worth, I've seen it both ways from automakers of all sorts, US, Asian and European.
Just figure most doors have to be unlocked one way or another before they can be opened, no matter if it's a car or a building.

and not one word of different function from US makers was mentioned.
They will never compare products like that in an owners manual.

I also went back to the dealer where I bought the car and neither the sales rep nor any of 3 service technicians could resolve the matter. So I guess I'm not so dumb if the the service techs can't figure it out, either
Sounds like there's nothing to fix, period.
I have a feeling that nobody involved truly understood what your issue was, because the door locks all work the way they are supposed to. Compare to identical cars on the used car lot if necessary.
I'd imagine your dealer people didn't consider that your expectations were the issue.
Plus.....lousy communication all the way around.

Old 10-24-2017, 06:00 AM
5 Year Member
Tx, the closest you're going to get is what Sneefy described. You can set the locks to NEVER lock automatically. That way once a rear door has been unlocked to allow passengers to get in, they will not lock once the car is in motion, unless you push the lock master switch, thus they will always open via the handle. The process is easy if you want to go that way, it is in the manual under the heading 'Auto Door Locking'=>'Customize', page 104 2015 Fit. That was one of the first things I ever did as auto locking in my area is just annoying.