3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

What is this piece of black bendy plastic I found?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 05:56 PM
Question What is this piece of black bendy plastic I found?

Probably not worth opening a thread for but I want to know what this is.

I noticed this piece of blendy plastic on the floor of the driver's side when I went to pick up my new car yesterday.

Any idea where it could be from? I hope it didn't fall off the car somewhere.

It's a hallow tube.

Last edited by Pumpkintacos; 11-21-2017 at 06:12 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:14 PM
5 Year Member
Most likely its a scrap of sleeving over some electrical wiring that someone cut to length and forgot to fish the excess piece out of the car.

Old 11-21-2017, 06:36 PM
5 Year Member
Strange. I had a piece of heat shrink like that in my car when I bought it as well. Others have reported the same thing.

There is a hole in some process somewhere.

I wonder how many millions Honda is wasting in unused heat shrink.

BTW, Pumpkintacos, where was your vehicle manufactured?

Old 11-21-2017, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by sneefy
Strange. I had a piece of heat shrink like that in my car when I bought it as well. Others have reported the same thing.

There is a hole in some process somewhere.

I wonder how many millions Honda is wasting in unused heat shrink.

BTW, Pumpkintacos, where was your vehicle manufactured?
It's a 2018 so Mexico. We'll see down the road if there's any big quality issues. Little piece of plastic isn't a big deal.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:51 PM
5 Year Member
Oh great. It's friggin sub zero cold outside and now tomorrow I have to crawl around on the car floor looking for my piece of plastic tubing. I hope that I find it otherwise I'll have to file a complaint with my dealer that it's missing and get them to replace it. It could be a critical part required for the Fit's warp core and if it's suddenly needed I don't want to be caught short of this. I don't need some smart ass insurance adjuster saying : "Yes, yes, but when the di-lithium crystals started overheating why didn't you just pour the cooling fluid through the emergency piece of black tubing to cool them down????"

Old 11-21-2017, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by woof
Oh great. It's friggin sub zero cold outside and now tomorrow I have to crawl around on the car floor looking for my piece of plastic tubing. I hope that I find it otherwise I'll have to file a complaint with my dealer that it's missing and get them to replace it. It could be a critical part required for the Fit's warp core and if it's suddenly needed I don't want to be caught short of this. I don't need some smart ass insurance adjuster saying : "Yes, yes, but when the di-lithium crystals started overheating why didn't you just pour the cooling fluid through the emergency piece of black tubing to cool them down????"
Do you want mine? I can mail it to you!!!

Old 11-21-2017, 10:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Pumpkintacos
new car

Any idea where it could be from?

That tube covered the blade of a key when the car left the factory.
One key is used to operate the car, the rest of the keys in the set are (usually) all on the same ring, they use those tubes to protect the cut blades of the keys.

Tube should have gone in the trash when the car was cleaned up for delivery. Probably was overlooked.

HTH

Old 11-21-2017, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator
This is hilarious!

Old 11-22-2017, 07:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ezone
One key is used to operate the car, the rest of the keys in the set are (usually) all on the same ring, they use those tubes to protect the cut blades of the keys.

Tube should have gone in the trash when the car was cleaned up for delivery. Probably was overlooked.

HTH
Would make sense, but she's got an EX. Why would they need to shroud the key in the smart key to operate the vehicle?

Old 11-22-2017, 07:08 AM
5 Year Member

As a conspiracy theorist, I prefer woof's explanation!

PS: good luck getting the dealer to replace it if yours is missing. Even if you gave them a TSB number.

Old 11-22-2017, 08:56 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
Would make sense, but she's got an EX. Why would they need to shroud the key in the smart key to operate the vehicle?
From what I've seen:
The keys are kept separate from the fobs during new car storage and transportation.

Before the dealers get the cars, the keyless entry does not work due to fuses removed for storage........Keys have to be used to lock/unlock the drivers door, fobs are used to start the car.

During transport, Fobs are left inside the cars, keys are kept in the semi truck.

Last edited by ezone; 11-22-2017 at 09:04 AM.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:30 AM
5 Year Member
That sounds like a good explanation. Thanks!

Old 11-22-2017, 10:33 AM

HTH

Sounds reasonable. Thanks!

Old 11-27-2017, 12:52 PM

Too much Moose Juice, my friend.

Old 11-30-2017, 09:14 AM
5 Year Member
Here's how the keys and fobs look when a brand new car arrives to the dealership fresh from the transporter truck:

Edit: ouch that's blurry. Dang phone.
Also, these keys are for their all new Clarity

Old 11-30-2017, 09:18 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
huh, them fobs look different from my 16's.

Old 11-30-2017, 09:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
huh, them fobs look different from my 16's.
They aren't from a Fit.
Those are from a new Clarity we received this morning, but the key/fob sets always come to us separated that way

Old 11-30-2017, 11:19 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
oh ic!

Old 11-30-2017, 12:16 PM
Here's how the keys and fobs look when a brand new car arrives to the dealership fresh from the transporter truck:

Edit: ouch that's blurry. Dang phone.
Also, these keys are for their all new Clarity
Wow mystery solved! That's definitely it!