3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Replacing Cylinder or Just Reprogramming after a Stolen Key

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 12:11 PM
Replacing Cylinder or Just Reprogramming after a Stolen Key

Hi- I am new to this forum and I am the owner of a 2016 Honda Fit LX. One of my keys was recently stolen and, as a precautionary measure, I would like to ensure that the person who has it cannot drive it away. The problem is that I don't know if there is a way to prevent the old/stolen key from working in either (or both) the 1) door cylinder or 2) the ignition. I would be content just to ensure that the person cannot enter the car, so I am thinking the cheapest way to solve this would be to reprogram the key fob and change the cylinder. However, I have seen conflicting info about whether the door cylinder operates mechanically (i.e. according to the "teeth" of the key) or electronically, through a computer, as the fob does. I know the fob can be reprogrammed.

I understand that changing the ignition cylinder is expensive, so I don't want to do that, but I am curious to know whether a new key or ignition-cylinder needs to be cut to prevent the old key from starting the car, or if the key I still possess (and hopefully a new spare) can be reprogrammed- again, to prevent the old key from working.

Old 11-22-2017, 12:44 PM
5 Year Member
To prevent the stolen key from STARTING THE ENGINE:
Go to dealer with all of your remaining keys. Explain what happened..

(May as well buy a fresh key to replace the stolen key while you are there. I hate not having a spare key to any of my rides)

If they don't understand......Request the immobilizer be programmed with your remaining keys as "all keys lost" so only the keys you brought in will be able to start the engine when they are done programming it. (this also redoes the keyless remote portion)

Now the stolen key won't be able to start the engine, if they did the "all keys lost" programming procedure.
The stolen key will still be able to unlock the door, but won't be able to start the engine and drive it away.
If they really want to get in the car, a rock will always get them in it anyway.

If you want to change the door lock cylinder, can buy a replacement with a different key. Then you'll have to suffer with multiple car keys on your ring. Also it doesn't appear to be very cheap.

Have you contacted your insurance company? Maybe they will buy you a complete lock set.

Old 11-22-2017, 01:34 PM
Thanks so much, ezone. This information will save me good money and (more importantly) a serious hassle. One other thing- do you know if it's possible to buy and/or reprogram keys without the dealer's involvement? Our dealer's service department is pathetic and untrustworthy. To give just one example- they told me I would need to replace the actuator to address this problem.

Old 11-22-2017, 02:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SunnyLlama
Thanks so much, ezone. This information will save me good money and (more importantly) a serious hassle. One other thing- do you know if it's possible to buy and/or reprogram keys without the dealer's involvement? Our dealer's service department is pathetic and untrustworthy. To give just one example- they told me I would need to replace the actuator to address this problem.
There is no DIY on this, programming must be done with a dealer level scanner or equivalent with immobilizer access.

Outside of an extremely well equipped independent Honda specialty shop with locksmith security access, the next best thing might be an extremely well equipped locksmith. Call around and ask local locksmiths if they can do Hondas immobilizer key programming? If yes, make sure to explain the situation and recheck that they understand it and can actually do what you need.

Don't you have like about a dozen Honda (and Acura) dealerships within reasonable driving distance? You are never locked in to the dealer you bought the car from.

Old 11-23-2017, 12:53 AM
5 Year Member
I used a locksmith when I had a spare key made for an LX, they spent about an hour trying to figure out a fancy computer program they had just purchased before they managed to get it done, but I was happy anyway because I didn't have to pay dealer key prices. Worth asking if the local dealers will work on aftermarket keys, but doubt they would say yes.

I can't remember the site I got the spare from, but it looks identical to the one that came with the car.

Old 11-23-2017, 01:10 AM
5 Year Member
Worth asking if the local dealers will work on aftermarket keys, but doubt they would say yes.
If a customer wants us to cut and program keys they got on ebay or wherever they got them, we will......but even if they can't be programmed for whatever reason, you still owe us money for the attempt. We don't plug in a scanner for free.

I'm sure this varies from dealer to dealer.