3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2018 Options on older 3rd gen Fit

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 09:16 PM
2018 Options on older 3rd gen Fit

Has anybody looked into swapping out various bits from the revised Fit into an older one? Specifically the gauge cluster and infotainment system. The new cluster looks much better and the infotainment has a few option that would be nice to have (i.e. Apple CarPlay, an actual volume knob, etc.)

Old 11-24-2017, 11:09 PM
5 Year Member
Sell old Fit. Buy new Fit. Swap completed.

Seriously though I think what you're asking would be extremely difficult to do. To begin with where would you get the parts with which to do the swap? From Honda ($$$$$$$$)? I don't think the compatibility is there that upgrading a previous Fit version would be viable. There's new circuitry and electronics for Honda Sensing in many of the new models which complicates things.

If you really like the new stuff, sell old Fit, buy new Fit.

Old 11-25-2017, 12:42 PM
5 Year Member
No answer but a very interesting question ... I would swap out my head unit fer sure. That would be magnificent, as would other part swaps. I've done it with cars in the olden days but yeah today's electronics might limit your options.

Old 11-25-2017, 01:00 PM
5 Year Member
Maybe if you could buy the parts out of a wrecked 2018. Look here > (car-part.com). Even then it would cost a lot of money to do that swap. Plus I'm not sure it would be easy or even possible. Enjoy your Fit & when you buy your next one it will have those things.

Old 11-25-2017, 01:59 PM
5 Year Member
I believe the new 2018 Fits come with two different instrument clusters. one is like the 2015 and 2016 models have. The new style has a bar graph meter tach and different display on the right side to support the new Honda sensing option. Without Honda sensing you get the old cluster and with Honda sensing you get the new cluster which has adaptive cruise display ETC.

James

Old 11-25-2017, 09:51 PM
First of all, why does it always seem like people are so quick to jump to the whole "sell yours and get the new one" idea on here??? Yes some of the features would be nice to have, but I'm not going to get rid of my paid-off, 2 year old car with barely over 50k miles just to have my ass handed to me on trade in and get stuck in another payment.

Secondly, thanks for the responses. The new gauge cluster just looks so much more clean and pulled together, but if the other features are necessary for it to work, then I guess i can just live with what i have. The new head unit isn't all that different from what the early GKs have, but it has a few things that would be nice to have. The Apple CarPlay is integrated into the USB port just below the HVAC controls. Any ideas as to whether that would be compatible with the CarPlay would be helpful. Aside from that, what would cause the unit to be so different that a simple swap wouldn't be possible? I couldn't see Honda spending that much money changing the wiring and connectors for a head unit that really isn't any different from what they had. programming changes the layout of it, but the functions seemed to be the same aside from the CarPlay feature. If nobody knows anything about it, then so be it, but I am just a curious mind fishing for ideas and wondering if anybody else has been just as curious as myself. Car-part.com does have a few parts from an '18 in, but give it a few months and they shouldn't be hard to find. Even finding something as simple as the new sliding sunvisors would be nice.

Last edited by tw142808; 11-25-2017 at 09:54 PM.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:22 PM
5 Year Member
The new head unit with Apple car play and Android auto would be nice. However the new head unit has dropped the HDMI input to the head unit if you planned to use that.

James

Old 11-25-2017, 11:22 PM
i did notice that when we looked at one the other day. The HDMI seems like a precursor to CarPlay, but its annoying due to the fact the the screen goes black if you lock your phone screen. CarPlay really eliminates the usefulness of the HDMI port anyway.

Old 11-25-2017, 11:28 PM
5 Year Member
I haven't really paid attention to the midcycle refresh (why torture myself) so I'm not familiar with the features. My only concern would be a tie-in to the ECU that would require software patching, something you can't just whip up.

And yeah I'm not looking to sell anytime soon myself, though I do have to say if the car developed problems a few years down the road I don't know if I'd be as loyal to it as I have to previous cars either.

Old 08-20-2018, 04:45 AM
5 Year Member
Reviving this thread because I haven't found any useful info out there yet! Not really interested in the aftermarket scene since I wouldn't want to lose my blind spot camera or other normal features of the car.... I just want that damn apple car play! hahahaha

Old 08-20-2018, 07:35 AM
I would imagine the exterior giblets are compatible... Especially if you have the current 3rd gen LX .. All those sensing wires and other nonsense can be turned in to yoyo strings. :P

Old 10-04-2018, 01:13 AM
First post! I’m looking to buy a used 2017 or 2018 (EX manual) in the next few months and one of my issues is the infotainment system. I use GoogleMaps all the time and imagine Apple CarPlay being nice to have.

I know you mentioned not wanting to use aftermarket parts, but it appears there are a few decent aftermarket CarPlay headunits that fit in the 2015-17 Fit in case you’d ever consider it. Crutchfield even sells wire harnesses that simplify the installation process and enables you to keep your backup camera and steering wheel controls. I’m unsure about the side camera, though my guess is not. They also sell a replacement front panel to give a truly OEM look. It’s a decent option for those with 2017 or earlier Fits that want CarPlay/Android Auto.

Last edited by Kempsk; 10-04-2018 at 01:15 AM.