3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2018 honda fit

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 12:36 AM
2018 honda fit

what were they thinking regarding the strobe lights on the dash? apparently they can not be disabled? does anyone know if this model is controlled by AI? it seems to be? also there is no light built into the shift column so you can see where to shift? at night I have to turn on inside light to see to shift until I guess I get used to it but really 2018 and Honda didn't put that basic safety convenience feature in this car model?
the other frustrating thing is there is no actual odometer? all you get is the annoying trip A screen! no odometer I've looked and looked and took it to a dealer they couldn't find it either?? what's up with that? has anyone figured it out? thanks so much.

Last edited by taxiridefun; 01-10-2018 at 01:03 AM. Reason: forgot to ask one more question,
Old 01-10-2018, 04:39 AM
Originally Posted by taxiridefun
what were they thinking regarding the strobe lights on the dash? apparently they can not be disabled? does anyone know if this model is controlled by AI? it seems to be? also there is no light built into the shift column so you can see where to shift? at night I have to turn on inside light to see to shift until I guess I get used to it but really 2018 and Honda didn't put that basic safety convenience feature in this car model?
the other frustrating thing is there is no actual odometer? all you get is the annoying trip A screen! no odometer I've looked and looked and took it to a dealer they couldn't find it either?? what's up with that? has anyone figured it out? thanks so much.
Don't know what strobe light you're referring to?

In the owner's manual, or by observation, the shifter position is indicated on the left most gauge on the dash.

Some cars have a multifunction gauge display. So in the owner's manual, or by observation, there is a knob that adjusts dash and interior brightness at night by turning it, and by pushing it, it will cycle through various displays such as the 2 trip odo's and main odo. If you push the switch in, it will magically reset the trip odo's too.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:33 AM
well regarding the strobe there are these lights in the center column. they pulse and change colors. dealer said when you change speed but I had car on cruise control, traveling on straight road, they pulse with base of music and whatever else. they are very disorienting, effect my equilibrium, so to stop it I had to almost completely dim the whole dash. to stop the equilibrium discernment.
the long black knob sure it will cycle through trip a, then trip a average. then trip a savings. then it goes to trip b average. then to oil level. then starts back at trip a. that's it. one time a screen with 9(000000000) 000000000 showed up with nothing else on it. that's it. that's all the black knob has done so far? if you press it and hold, it will erase trip a's counter.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:36 AM
there doesn't seem to be "odometer" in the book index to try and find info about it in the book?

Old 01-10-2018, 11:59 AM
5 Year Member
The Odometer

From one of my 2018 LX manuals (Canadian downloadable one). It's the "002300" number in the screen capture.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:38 PM
ok I am going to look on page 104 is there anyway I wonder to find odometer and keep the odometer there? on the screen instead of having to constantly look for it?
a perfect place for odometer would be in the middle dash bubble right above the cruise control buttons lights when they are light, up.
thank you for taking the time to help me. I really appreciate it.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:58 PM
5 Year Member
As far as I know there is no way to keep the odometer permanently visible. Honda is trying to throw so much information at their drivers that they seem to have decided that they can't permanently reserve space for something trivial like the odometer. I suppose you could keep it visible though as long as you stay with that particular screen.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:00 PM
5 Year Member
Yes, toggle through until you get to the odometer display, and that's it. I run my car with the odometer visible as default, which is 99.9% of the time.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:48 PM
well this car that long black knob this is the only sequence: Trip A ( this screen shows the time, a range, miles.
next you get: Trip A AVG mpg with time at top and temperature at bottom
next you get: Trip B AVG mpg
next you get: Oil Life
next you get: back to TRIP A!!!
that's it. over, and over, and over.???
I can press the black button until I'm blue in the face !and that's the only thing that black button does other than if you hold it down it'll clear out trip A and clear out the average of trip b.
and if you hold it a little longer it'll put trip a back on the screen ?other than that that's all that the black button does in this car. over and over and over.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:54 PM
5 Year Member
Can you even legally sell a brand new car without an odometer?
It's GOT to have an odometer.
Yes, on mine, you push button toggle to it...but it exists.
Color changing Strobe Lights on the center column?

You sure you have a Honda Fit?

Old 01-10-2018, 08:27 PM
5 Year Member
Color changing lights are the Eco assist.

Ambient Meter
● Changes color to reflect your driving style.
Green: Fuel efficient driving
Blue green: Moderate acceleration/deceleration
Blue: Aggressive acceleration/deceleration
● The ambient meter color changes in accordance
with your brake or accelerator pedal operation.

They're near the Speedo so to me not in my line of sight unless I'm looking at speedo.

There is also a odometer for sure.

Also that oil level is the maintenance minder that tells you the next maintenance internal.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:29 PM
5 Year Member
Trip A is the odometer, if I remember correctly. I'll check when I take the car out Friday. There definitely is an odometer. Trip B is for when you set for a specific trip.

The green to blue lights cannot be defeated. I assume you know that's to guide your driving to use less gas.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:43 PM
5 Year Member
well this car that long black knob this is the only sequence: Trip A ( this screen shows the time, a range, miles.
next you get: Trip A AVG mpg with time at top and temperature at bottom
next you get: Trip B AVG mpg
next you get: Oil Life
next you get: back to TRIP A!!!
that's it. over, and over, and over.???
I can press the black button until I'm blue in the face !and that's the only thing that black button does other than if you hold it down it'll clear out trip A and clear out the average of trip b.
and if you hold it a little longer it'll put trip a back on the screen ?other than that that's all that the black button does in this car. over and over and over.
According to the manual, you can choose from 5 different displays. Three of them show Trip A and one of those also shows the odometer. You should be able to leave it set to any one of those 5 choices. Maybe when you're pressing the button to scroll between them you're holding it down too long? If you can't get it to come up, run by the dealership and have them try. Maybe the button is defective.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:45 PM
yes I did go by dealer today. they say that's how they make them now Honda just trip a with mileage no specific odometer?
which makes no sense an odometer has how many digit columns?versus a mileage count has six.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:08 PM
5 Year Member
yes I did go by dealer today. they say that's how they make them now Honda just trip a with mileage no specific odometer?
which makes no sense an odometer has how many digit columns?versus a mileage count has six.

Either they didn't understand your question or you spoke to an idiot. Here's the entire section relating to the odometer from the 2018 Fit Owners Manual. It can be found online here: Owner's Manual | 2018 Honda Fit | Honda Owners Site

As you can see, you should be able to choose between 5 different displays. The one on the far left shows the Trip A mileage and, just above that number, is the Odometer - the total number of miles on the car. The line with 6 digits is the odometer. That would allow it to go up to 999,999 miles. I'm pretty sure the trip meter doesn't go that high - I'm guessing up to 10,000 maybe. The trip meter also measures tenths of a mile. I believe the Odometer only registers in whole miles, not tenths. If you go to that display and hold in the selector button, the Trip A meter will reset to zero. The number above it, the odometer, can not be reset to zero.

Attached Thumbnails 2018 honda fit-odometer.jpg  

Last edited by FlaCharlie; 01-10-2018 at 10:11 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
Color changing lights are the Eco assist.Ambient Meter
That's what I would possibly conclude but I would hardly call the ambient light meter "Strobe Lights".
Mine don't "pulse with the base of the music"??????

Mine (2016 Honda EX ) are constant and change colors relatively slowly and passively based entirely on the engine strain and gas being used.

And I just don't believe Honda would build a vehicle without an odometer. In too many State you HAVE to be able to show the mileage on the vehicle when selling or trading it in.
You simply cannot NOT have an odometer.

Last edited by fitchet; 01-10-2018 at 10:15 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:39 PM
what's puzzling to me, how come that button will pull up 3 trip a screens but only one trip b screen ?for trip b that says average.
I mean if there's a trip a and trip B shouldn't it also pull up three screens for trip b? like it does for A? it only pulls up a trip b average screen for trip b. whereas,trip a, it pulls up trip a, trip a average, trip a savings, then jumps to trip b average, then jumps to oil 100% then back to first trip a screen?

Old 01-11-2018, 09:48 PM
5 Year Member
what's puzzling to me, how come that button will pull up 3 trip a screens but only one trip b screen ?for trip b that says average.
I mean if there's a trip a and trip B shouldn't it also pull up three screens for trip b? like it does for A? it only pulls up a trip b average screen for trip b. whereas,trip a, it pulls up trip a, trip a average, trip a savings, then jumps to trip b average, then jumps to oil 100% then back to first trip a screen?
The Trip A mileage is included in more of the displays than Trip B, true. But what does it matter?

You get exactly the same info for both Trip A and Trip B - the number of miles on that trip, and the average fuel economy (mpg) for that trip. Those are the 3rd and 4th displays shown above.

The "Range" listed in the second display refers to "the estimated distance you can travel on the remaining fuel. This distance is estimated from the fuel economy of your previous trips." In other words, it is not linked exclusively to either Trip A or Trip B. And it doesn't relate just to your current MPG reading. It's apparently a composite based on historical fuel economy (MPG) data stored in the car's computer. Trip A mileage just happens to be displayed at the same time.

All those are rough estimates. According to many posts on here, the MPG estimate is typically optimistic by 1.5 to 2 mpg. The Honda manual acknowledges that you need to calculate it yourself if you want an accurate figure. The range reading is typically pessimistic - you should be able to drive further than it says before you run out of gas. How much further?? Hard to say. It will vary depending on how many MPG you are getting on that tank of gas. Fill up when it hits zero and see how much gas was left in your tank. The tank holds 10.6 gallons.

It always takes some time to figure out how everything works on a new car.

You should probably spend some more time reading the Owner's Manual, which is more detailed (599 pages) than the Owner's Guide (149 pages) that comes with the car. There's a link to download it above.

Last edited by FlaCharlie; 01-11-2018 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:31 PM
5 Year Member
The strobe light? If you are talking about the dancing green to blue econs along the perimeter of the center gauge, no you cannot disable it.

My CVT shifter has a light, along with the indicated gear in the left gauge.