3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2018 Sport shift knob & boot (how it looks)

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 09:14 PM
2018 Sport shift knob & boot (how it looks)

Couldn't find a specific search term for this.

From the factory does anyone know if its normal to see a gap between the knob and the boot? Mine doesn't seem it was connected nor are there any provisions that look like a piece was missing. You can actually pul the boot down a bit and expose the metal rod that the knob screws onto. I searched some reviews and saw in the pictures and vids that theirs looks exactly like how mine is.

Attached Thumbnails 2018 Sport shift knob & boot (how it looks)-shiftboot.jpg   2018 Sport shift knob & boot (how it looks)-shiftknob.jpg  
Old 06-30-2018, 10:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ieandro
Couldn't find a specific search term for this.

From the factory does anyone know if its normal to see a gap between the knob and the boot? Mine doesn't seem it was connected nor are there any provisions that look like a piece was missing. You can actually pul the boot down a bit and expose the metal rod that the knob screws onto. I searched some reviews and saw in the pictures and vids that theirs looks exactly like how mine is.
If this is the way it came new, then it's normal. My '15 LX had the crappy plastic shift knob, which the boot "clipped" onto....the replacement knob has no such thing, so I jammed a piece of foam pipe insulation in there, keeps the boot steady and no "clicking" against the shift rod. Heck, in the old days of manuals, the boot just covered to the rod, and left several inches exposed, no big thing. I wouldn't worry about it, personally....ymmv

Old 06-30-2018, 11:25 AM
Doesn't bother me that much. It's just brand new and was just making sure there was a mistake or something was missing.

This second issue bothers me more that this trim piece on the side of the dasboard is somehow pulling up. Ive yet to hear back from the dealer, but will bring it up when I go pick up the plates.

Other than that I love the car.

Old 06-30-2018, 11:27 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah dats normal and i think it looks real sporty dat way.

Old 06-30-2018, 10:56 PM
It's normal. Get a new shift knob. The stock one isn't that comfortable.

Old 07-01-2018, 03:53 PM
5 Year Member
as for the second pict of the dash side piece coming undone, just push it in. should pop back into place.

did u have a self dimming mirror or dash cam or something installed that required wires go up the a-pillar?

Old 07-01-2018, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
as for the second pict of the dash side piece coming undone, just push it in. should pop back into place.

did u have a self dimming mirror or dash cam or something installed that required wires go up the a-pillar?
Tried popping it in when I noticed it, but no go. The tabs seem to be covered in some sort of black adhesive. My initial thoughts was a sealant of some sort, but the tabs do not latch or click in place whatsoever. Doesn't look broken either.

And no, I did not have anything installed. Only noticed it on the second day.

Old 07-01-2018, 07:15 PM
5 Year Member
hummm.. dat's odd. did u try removing it completely (just pull out the vertical weather stripping as it's only friction mounted, or just peel back enough to release that panel) and see if the tabs all line up or not on that panel.

Old 07-01-2018, 07:19 PM
I did not. I'm going to let the dealership handle this one. I'm still waiting on a reply.

Old 07-01-2018, 07:37 PM
5 Year Member
yah, should be an easy fix.. especially for ur dealer.

as for the knob, i had the one with blue stitching in my GE when i had the car. i liked that knob. doesnt get cold in the winter nor hot in the summer. and much nicer den that rubber ball knobs my GD and GE came with. LOL dose were HORRIBLE!!

Old 07-01-2018, 10:03 PM
Doesn't bother me that much. It's just brand new and was just making sure there was a mistake or something was missing.

This second issue bothers me more that this trim piece on the side of the dasboard is somehow pulling up. Ive yet to hear back from the dealer, but will bring it up when I go pick up the plates.

Other than that I love the car.

My panel is doing the same thing!

Old 07-02-2018, 11:21 AM
I had an exterior black plastic trim piece (on the rear left door) that kept popping up - looked like it was deformed from the factory.
10 minute job at the dealer.
That's what warranty is for.
Otherwise not much wrong in terms of fit and finish on my car.
But yeah, that shifter looks totally diy.
I replaced my puny plastic stock knob with an RS leather-wrapped knob from Japan and although it's the kind that the boot clicks onto, I had to modify it to work. Some tabs did not match with the USDM boot "receiver"
In the end it still had a bit of a gap so I fixed that with a thick rubber o-ring and now the boot collar sits tight against it and looks perfect.

Attached Thumbnails 2018 Sport shift knob & boot (how it looks)-knob.jpg  
Old 07-07-2018, 12:40 PM
5 Year Member
Yep, that side trim piece would bother me a LOT more than the shift knob boot, which I think is just normal.

But that side piece is a problem. Get it addressed while it is new and under warranty.

Old 07-07-2018, 05:05 PM
5 Year Member
My panel is doing the same thing, although not nearly as bad, but there is still a small gap.

Old 07-07-2018, 05:18 PM
5 Year Member
alfa wat exactly is pushing it outward? Can you see inside?

Old 07-07-2018, 06:10 PM
The only theory I can come up with as I keep looking at it is the tightness of the door seal whe closed is either deforming it and causing it to squeeze a bit. I tried pushing it in but the clips don't seem to click into place no matter how much I push. There's also a sticky substance on the clips (previous fix?) that seem to have held it in place at some point.

Old 07-07-2018, 07:00 PM
5 Year Member
There's also a sticky substance on the clips (previous fix?) that seem to have held it in place at some point.
That would make me speculate that indeed it has been broken, and the attempt to fix it using some type of adhesive or glue was already made...and ultimately failed.

Personally? New vehicle, I wouldn't even try to fix it. If YOU accidentally break it, then Honda can say YOU broke it.
I'd just take it to the dealership and say...this is wrong, I didn't do it. Fix it.

Old 07-07-2018, 07:10 PM
Oh yeah, I wasn't attempting to fix it myself. I already have an appointment for next week to take it in so they can fix it. That was just an observation.

Old 07-07-2018, 07:37 PM
5 Year Member
I can't see what is keeping mine from snapping in tight, if there is an obstruction or if it is a warped piece of plastic. Will need to take it to the dealer. I also have a key fob that decided to stop working, the battery is fine, it just won't talk to the car.