3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2015 LX TPMS Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 09:23 PM
Question 2015 LX TPMS Replacement

Hello, long time reader (you all have saved me a million times - upgrading the battery size has literally made both my fits into actually usable cars) first time poster.

I replaced my tires on my 2015 Fit today, we purchased it used and the mechanic came out and told me that two of my TPMS valves are just missing, they're just standard valve stems and not at all TPMS.

I was afraid this could be the case. The tires were aftermarket, mis-matched, the battery was shot and the TPMS light was on when we bought the car. IT's not a crucial system but I realize now that I can't just fix it that I really do like the feature.

He quoted me $100 per each and I am never satisfied with a quote from a mechanic as you pick up the vehicle so I decided to do some of my own research.

I can't find any OEM or replacement TPMS systems available. I can find some after-market that require dash or cigarette-lighter installation but I can't find a model number for the 2015.

Everyone has replacement stems for super good prices all the way up to the 2013 but no further.

Has anyone else had this problem? Am I just looking for the wrong part and looking the fool to you wizened fit wizards? Please help.

Old 01-19-2018, 03:04 AM
5 Year Member
Because it uses an Indirect system, the mechanic doesn't know their are two types of TPMS.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=44

Old 01-19-2018, 07:30 AM
5 Year Member
Do you have a TPMS button on your dash? If so read the owner's manual. With this indirect TPMS system there are no TPMS sensors on the wheels. Change the tires and read the manual or watch this video.

Features and Information | 2016 Honda Fit | Honda Owners Site)

Old 01-19-2018, 07:36 AM
5 Year Member
I'm not sure if I'd trust that mechanic...

As was stated, the Fit has a indirect TPMS system. On the bottom left of the dash, kind of close to the gas release lever there is a button. Essentially while in park, hold that down until the TPMS light flashes. Then drive around for a while. It works by calculating the rotations of the tires as the car moves. If the tires were mismatched, then that's probably a good reason the TPMS was on.

Old 01-19-2018, 08:13 AM
5 Year Member
I "believe" the calibration procedure (by pressing the button) will handle mis-matched tires. I "believe" that while you are driving around after pressing the button the computer records the revolutions per mile for each tire. Then in the future future if the difference exceeds some threshold for a sustained period of time, it will turn on the light again. Obviously there has to be some buffer in there for turning corners and spinning tires in the snow or mud. This all my guess as I have never had the TPMS light turn on even after we changed over to winter tires.

Old 01-19-2018, 08:37 AM
Wizards, the lot of you

I do feel like a fool, but a grateful one. Thanks, resetting the tpms with the new tires on seems to have resolved the problem. I believe, from what I know of changing the suspension on my old Audi A4, that's the same type of system. I didn't even realize there was a valve stem version until this visit.

I trusted he knew what he was talking about at a tire place. I'm glad I didn't try and get him to replace them.

Thanks again, you all are the best

Old 01-19-2018, 12:11 PM
5 Year Member
Just out of curiosity, are your tires mismatched?
Since you say 2 have TPMS sensors in the stem, and 2 do not, I'm wondering if the Dealership? That sold it used, didn't just slap on 2 tires, without checking or bothering to remove the TPMS stems.
Because yes, you should have an indirect system. None of your tires stems should have sensors.

Old 01-19-2018, 01:10 PM
I believe the mechanic misspoke. He said both "none of them" and "two." regardless, the reset on new tires seems to have solved the mystery.

Old 01-19-2018, 01:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ridingwithjamesdeane
I replaced my tires on my 2015 Fit today, we purchased it used and the mechanic came out and told me that two of my TPMS valves are just missing- The tires were aftermarket, mis-matched
Sorry, should of read your original post closer.