3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2018 EX seats

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 11:04 PM
5 Year Member
2018 EX seats

I currently have a 2008 Fit Sport (manual transmission), which I am getting ready to sell and then buy a 2018 Fit EX (CVT). I had sciatica on my clutch leg most of last year and it's time for me to switch to automatic transmission. FYI, my husband has a 2011 Fit Sport too, so I am familiar with both the 1st and 2nd generation Fit.

I test drove a 2018 EX this afternoon. It handled like a Fit. Overall it was very familiar, like an old friend. But the front seats felt different. Extremely firm. I'm worried perhaps too hard. I realize this is totally subjective, but is this something people have adjusted and gotten used to?

Old 01-26-2018, 12:12 AM
5 Year Member
If you don't like the '18 seats - and you don't plan on replacing them - don't get it! I doubt it will get any better with age. The seats are essentially fabric-covered foam, they won't soften up much with use.

I had an '08 and now have a '16. Subjectively, I thought the '08 was a little softer, but not enough to make a huge difference as far as comfort. The Fit is not exactly a luxury vehicle, so I don't expect the latest in seat comfort.

I did test drive a '15 EX-L with leather and thought those seats were absolutely horrible. Felt like sitting on a brick, I was sore after a 10 min. test drive, so longer drives were out of the question. I'm sure they'd wear in a bit after use, but I didn't feel like going there.

Old 01-26-2018, 12:23 AM
5 Year Member
I didn't ask if the seats would soften up. I asked if owners tends to get used to the firmness. You basically answered my question. You got used to it.

ETA: Every car I've ever owned had fabric, or vinyl, covered foam. The shape of the 2018 seats are very flat, and the foam is very firm.

Old 01-26-2018, 06:47 AM
5 Year Member
The seats have been a bone of contention since the GK was released. Some people find them terribly uncomfortable, others find them to be superb. There seems to be no ryhme or reason: weight or height seem irrelevant. Take a good long test drive.

We take 5000 mile trips annually and absolutely love the seats.

Old 01-26-2018, 07:22 AM
5 Year Member
The problem I have with the 2017 LX is not just the firmness, but my butt doesn't like the seam on the seating surface after driving a few hours.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:42 AM
The seats are very firm and after 2 years of driving my Fit, they remain that way. So I guess I've gotten used to them. But for long distance driving, for me the Fit's seats are comfortable for about 3 hrs. After that, the comfort factor gets progressively worse. Since I do a lot of long distance driving, I use a seat cushion and that has made all the difference in the world. The trick is finding the right cushion that works for you. A cushion isn't for everybody but it's something to consider.

I've owned about a dozen vehicles in my life. The best seats (without a pad) is my 96 Toyota Tacoma. Worst was my leg blood clot creator 95 Mazda MX3.

Sciatica ... I feel your pain

Old 01-26-2018, 10:06 AM
5 Year Member
I don't have a problem with the seats in my 2015. I came from a 2004 4Runner and that is the trip mobile. For that car I have to use a seat cushion for long trips. I took a work trip in the Fit and was chastising myself for forgetting the seat cushion. I was surprised I did not need it like I did the 4Runner! It was a 7 hour road trip, with a gas/lunch break around the half way mark.

I also have a 2+ hour round trip commute for work, so I guess I'm used to the seats. They are not the most comfortable, but certainly not the least.

Old 01-26-2018, 12:49 PM
5 Year Member
You can always get a gel or memory foam seat pad to make things more comfortable.

Old 01-26-2018, 02:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by froggie3ds
I didn't ask if the seats would soften up. I asked if owners tends to get used to the firmness.
Well, God forbid people volunteer potentially useful information.

Others will read these threads. It's not all about you and strict, narrow answers to your questions.

Old 01-26-2018, 06:42 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
lol'ed.. haha

Old 01-26-2018, 09:27 PM
Im 6'4'' 200lbs and find the seats to be firm, but quite comfortable on long drives, fairly well bolstered through the waist. I make a few 300 mile round trips every couple weeks, no major gripes. Although im used to old honda civics with full race buckets and roll cages so maybe im just used to more Spartan seating.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:09 AM
My previous car was a 2013 Abarth 500 with leather seats... entirely form & function focus but relevant for this thread.

The missus immediately noticed the added cushion in the GK seat. She loves the support they offer and comments daily (I purchased a little over a month ago). I mostly notice the difference in the seat back. I enjoy the improved comfort, but my driver brain often tries to engineer a compromise between the Fit and A500 seat backs. It's taken a while to adjust the way I sit to take full advantage of what the new seats offer... but the adjustment is happening.

Old 01-27-2018, 11:23 AM
5 Year Member
Seat comfort is so subjective and so individual to each persons reality.
Height, weight, condition, leg length...pick em. It can all make a huge difference.
One persons perfectly comfortable seat, is another persons personal torture device.

I think before purchasing a vehicle the best you can do is sit as long as possible in the vehicle. See how your back, leg muscles, body react to the ergonomics and reality of the seat as much as possible.

I find the Fit seats to be acceptable. But I would say, far from what I would call desirably comfortable.
I have bought a seat cushion that I think improves the comfort for me personally.

And as a general statement, I think if given the choice I'd rather deal with seats that I thought were too firm...with the ability to add a cushion, than deal with seats I felt were not supportive enough.

But bottom line? The seat is going to be acceptable to each individual or not.
I have read numerous posts, in more than one automobile forum, where the vehicles seats and discomfort sometimes becomes a "fatal issue" to that vehicles ownership. So my advice to anyone, looking at any vehicle is try to get a "feel" for how the seat feels to you...before you purchase because sometimes resolving the issue if you don't like the seats, can be difficult to near impossible.

Old 01-27-2018, 04:09 PM
I have a 2018 EX.
One of the main things I worried about before I test drove one was that I was going to think the seats were uncomfortable after reading complaint after complaint about Fit's seats in general online. When I test drove, then later bought the car, I was pleasantly surprised that the seats do not bother me. Given that, if right off the bat you're not liking the seats... it won't get any better for you.