3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

What I Like and Dislike about my 2018 Honda Fit

Old 02-07-2018, 07:53 AM
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary View Post
My sentiments exactly. The Fit combines both the car I NEED and the car I WANT in one package.
True, that. The missus digs the Fit so much she longer comments on me insisting I own MT only.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:40 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wmo168 View Post
Put paint protection film on the car so it won't scratch...
I would agree the OP should do "something", at least an opinion or two from a reputable detailer.

But if the OP already feels the vehicle is scratching too easily and showing too many scratches, but does nothing?
It's only going to get worse.

At some point the finish will become damaged beyond the point where swirls and scratches can be easily buffed out.

Then you are looking at perpetually ignoring the finish damage, or repainting.

IMO...now is the time to try to protect the finish.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:12 AM
OP had posted the scratches and it looks like something/someone rubbed up closely to their car with a hard surface: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...y-new-car.html

Some almost look intentional like maybe someone tried to key the car imo.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2 View Post
OP had posted the scratches and it looks like something/someone rubbed up closely to their car with a hard surface: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...y-new-car.html

Some almost look intentional like maybe someone tried to key the car imo.
There's even more scratches than that now. I don't think it looks keyed, too random.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by fitchet View Post
I would agree the OP should do "something", at least an opinion or two from a reputable detailer.

But if the OP already feels the vehicle is scratching too easily and showing too many scratches, but does nothing?
It's only going to get worse.

At some point the finish will become damaged beyond the point where swirls and scratches can be easily buffed out.

Then you are looking at perpetually ignoring the finish damage, or repainting.

IMO...now is the time to try to protect the finish.
It's not that I'm choosing to do nothing it's just that I don't really know what to do and doubt I can even afford it. I definitely want to do something just don't know what yet.

Old 02-07-2018, 01:55 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
swirls are usually caused by washing the car or drying the car by dragging a towel.

you have to use a car wash place that do not use those nylon bristles and preferably hand wash or touch less... unless you want to learn how to properly wash your car at home.

for the swirls you already have you can remove them using a random orbital and some scratch-X. but until you figure out your washing habits, the car will easily swirl again.

Old 02-07-2018, 02:42 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan View Post
swirls are usually caused by washing the car or drying the car by dragging a towel.

you have to use a car wash place that do not use those nylon bristles and preferably hand wash or touch less... unless you want to learn how to properly wash your car at home.

for the swirls you already have you can remove them using a random orbital and some scratch-X. but until you figure out your washing habits, the car will easily swirl again.
My car doesn't have swirls. At least none that I've noticed. Just regular scratches. And I've never taken it to the car wash. I hand wash my car with microfiber stuff.

Old 02-07-2018, 02:47 PM
Op is not lying, the clear coat is paper thin on these cars. My wives 2015 versa note has MUCH thicker clear on it. I wash my cars with pressure washers, and touch them as little as possible. If its dirty enough to where i actually need use a microfiber i make SURE the car has been thoroughly pressure washed off, so you are sure u arent rubbing grit into the paint as you clean it.

Old 02-09-2018, 05:34 AM
What I dislike is the poor defogging even when a new cabin filter was installed.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:51 AM
Originally Posted by Bob Levine View Post
What I dislike is the poor defogging even when a new cabin filter was installed.
Totally agreed. I am surprised no one has ever brought this up. I was driving through Arizona in Dec and confronted with a snow storm at a pass at night. Wow, I couldn't get the condensation off the windshield whatever I tired.

Last edited by wasserball; 02-09-2018 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by wasserball View Post
Totally agreed. I am surprised no one has ever brought this up. I was driving through Arizona in Dec and confronted with a snow storm at a pass at night. Wow, I couldn't get the condensation off the windshield whatever I tired.
My inside defoggers work great but if the fog is outside, forget it. My wipers don't wipe close enough to the glass to wipe it off.

Old 02-09-2018, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by Pumpkintacos View Post
My inside defoggers work great but if the fog is outside, forget it. My wipers don't wipe close enough to the glass to wipe it off.
The air flow to the floor vents trickles out even with the fan speed set at 4.

Old 02-09-2018, 12:43 PM
The defogger works like crap because its wired to run the AC at the same time, if u do the little mod that disconnects AC from the defrosting settings it works WAY better. I know, u think "AC helps get rid of fog faster!" But not when it awkwardly cycles on and off, actually causing more fog every time it does.

Old 02-09-2018, 12:59 PM
5 Year Member
It's not that I'm choosing to do nothing it's just that I don't really know what to do and doubt I can even afford it. I definitely want to do something just don't know what yet.
Obviously I'm not familiar with your budget.
But at this point my recommendation would be just to seek out ( I'd use The Internet-look at reviews ) a well reviewed local detailer.
These are people for which car finish maintenance, repair is their job. In my experience, most will be willing to look at your vehicle, and could very quickly give you a diagnosis as to what is happening, and any of many possible solutions to minimize and repair damage, for free. You can call first and ask if they give free estimates. Usually they want your potential business, and offer estimates for free.

As long as the damage is still relatively superficial, I think the remedies likely to be cheaper.
But decisions about what you can afford, can be made once you have a better idea of what can be done and is recommended.

Doing nothing, is only cheaper if you want to forever do nothing. If you are willing to live with the scratches.

You could also of course just try a over the counter wax or polish, and try cleaning and doing it yourself. But I saw the pictures from your original post and at this point I think I'd seek out a detailer.

I find "Wally World" popular products can be great. But they are better if used on finishes in good shape to start as maintenance-not repair.

But D.I.Y. is do it yourself, and I don't know how motivated or willing you are to put in the work. And from the pictures you posted in your other thread, I think, assuming you aren't familiar with finish care, I'd just seek out a professional. Call first and ask, but usually you can get a diagnosis and estimate as to cost for services, for free.

Old 02-09-2018, 09:30 PM
Interior defogging works fine for me. There must be some heavy breathers out there haha

Old 02-10-2018, 07:04 AM
5 Year Member
or loners..

Old 02-10-2018, 08:26 AM
2018 . . . Easy entry/Walk away locks.

Really, in the 2018 you get out of the car, walk away and the car locks? You don't have to press the lock button on the key fob or push the door handle button?

Old 02-10-2018, 10:19 AM
5 Year Member
i think most cars these days have that option.. i never use it though as it sort of pisses me off while washing my cars.

you have your fob in your pocket and you run water on the door, the car locks/unlocks repetitively.
so you place your fob in your garage to prevent this.. only to find the doors are locked when you are ready to wipe down the door jams, etc.

Old 02-10-2018, 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by Press Fit View Post
Really, in the 2018 you get out of the car, walk away and the car locks? You don't have to press the lock button on the key fob or push the door handle button?
Yes yes yes and I love it. I literally never have to use my keys for anything anymore other than unlocking and locking my house...which is super annoying to me now! I'm spoiled now.

Old 02-10-2018, 11:10 AM
5 Year Member
Yes yes yes and I love it. I literally never have to use my keys for anything anymore other than unlocking and locking my house...which is super annoying to me now! I'm spoiled now.
Same here!

I keep my car fob separate from my key ring now. That way I don't even have to take the fob out of my pocket for the house doors. Wife keeps hers in her purse to make it even easier.

As for car washing, I just set the key in the garage away from the car while I wash it. Otherwise the locking and unlocking does drive me nuts!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.