3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Aftermarket Radio Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 12:27 AM
Aftermarket Radio Questions.

With every car I buy, I change out the radio. I have mental disorders, namely PTSD & Autism and music is very, very important to me. I have over 3,000 songs and constantly switch in my library. It's best for me to stick with iTunes as android auto and the limited scrolling thing kinda sucks, and I want a player to stay in the car and not my phone.

Anyway, the wiring for the 2016 fit lx has been confusing as hell! I switched radio brands. I usually stick with Kenwood or pioneer but have not been happy with them in the last few years and am trying a jvc this time around. Seems like a good radio besides learning the user interface and set up, but to obtain steering wheel controls, Bluetooth and rear OEM camera is a pain! The Bluetooth buttons on the steering wheel refuse to work with Siri and I guess are not programed to since no touchscreen. I can't figure out how to change the clock on the dash now though I remember being able to before by the brightness selecter...
Keeping OEM camera was really hard. I had never attempted this and was only familiar with parking brake bypasses and Axxess Steering wheel control units. Luckily jvc can simply be grounded for bypass. But I wanted to find a way to keep all wiring up front, and after looking over diagrams and trying this and that, we finally gave up and wired to reverse light switch and used the 12 volt to 6 volt converter. Not easy success. One night we gave up around 1 am. The camera showed promise until we put it back together then black background with parking guidelines. Next morning the picture was there but fishbowl. It worked fine until today and it's been a lot 2 weeks. Attempted Bluetooth Siri function and gave up and found out not an option through those buttons.
Got the radio ready to install and put trim pieces back, black back up screen with guidelines again. Ugh. Today's only change was cutting blue/Grey wire to pin 23's wire to see if it would help Bluetooth issue. Wrapped up ends with electrical tape.
All connections were soldered and heat shrinked. Just need help in this camera issue. Thanks! Tired. Sleepy time!

Old 02-09-2018, 05:38 AM
Many new cars use the radio for other functions than entertainment. Switching may lose some functionality.

Might leave these changes to a expert tech. Crutchfield usually can warn you of these problems which may also void your Honda warranty.

I used to change radios a lot but that was when they were only radios.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:05 AM
piggybacking on bob, above, - besides crutchfield - you can usually find wiring-harness adapters from metra or scosche... tbh - im sorta surprised that you got most of it working to begin with without a wiring-adapter... presumably you want to be looking in the service-manual and checking every single wire to be sure what it does...

honestly, to be sure that none of your current attempts have broken anything - i would probably go back to square one and re-install the OEM radio... if, with the OEM equipment in place, everything works to specifications - then you can move back to the process of replacing it... this (going backwards) would allow you to confirm that the backup camera and bluetooth functions are not somehow broken in the car... whereas it is quite-possible that they are broken in the new stereo... idk...

--or-- continue on with your fairly knowledgeable process... if you just need a shoulder, i can offer the comment that it seems like if you keep trying - you will probably succeed... i wish i had something more knowledgeable to suggest - but i dont... good luck !!!

Old 02-09-2018, 09:49 AM
From what I have seen / read, the switch that changes the camera from wide / narrow / top down is can bus controlled.
When you switch to an aftermarket radio, you can only get the first camera view (wide angle).

This item: BC23 Honda Reverse Camera Adapter
appears to be an external switch to control the different views that used to be enabled on the radio touch screen.

Old 02-09-2018, 10:52 AM

I will try to clear some things up from the original post, I was extremely tired that night when I wrote that, it might not have been clear enough to read.

I was using the Metra wiring harness adaptor for the specified Honda. There was also an antenna adaptor I used. Also used Axxess Steering Wheel Control Adaptor ASWC-1 (I am not found of these really they always seem to be made really cheap but not much out there that I can see otherwise) I will admit I am not an expert at all with wiring or electrical. I took a class for it in technical school (UTI - Auto Body) but it is a weak spot for me. However, as long as the directions are not poorly translated from Chinese to English I can follow them well and when there is an issue I can ask my dad who knows tons about electrical as he was a crane electrical engineer for the shipyard for about 38 years. I am just trying not to get him involved with this one because he is very stressed lately.

So using the regular Metra harness was pretty simple. And all worked fine with that. Antenna adaptor, also okay. ASWC-1 also fairly easy, only needed a few wires to be used... But still did not want to Auto Program like it's supposed to, which to me is a common issue with their stuff. Called tech support and got it fixed besides Bluetooth dedicated buttons on steering wheel. What I didn't know was I needed a separate adaptor for the reverse camera to be kept to OEM. This is where it gets.... Fun. So the OEM camera is 6v and the adaptor steps down the 12 to 6v to make it work. As I've said, I was trying to keep it all up front, I can easily pop panels and run the wiring but I don't know I just.... Don't like to? I can be very stubborn on some things and this is one.

Finding wiring diagrams, factory service manuals for this car is extremely hard and I'm an excellent researcher. I read in forums that the info is was hard to get ahold of. But, being weary at first, I found an ebay ad that you "buy" and it links you to a website with all the info. There is a monthly subscription fee like $6.95 but I like how it is laid out and the info is all there. I think the website is identifix or something. I remember trying ALLDATADIY with other cars in the past and hated it, and hated the price.

So me and a guy who lives with our family (also going for electrician in the shipyard and going to school) was helping me instead if having to bug my dad. The wiring diagrams are still.. Interesting. If you pull the reverse camera there is at least 7 wires coming out of it. We tried to find where they would meet up with the radio and after many hours of this, I broke down and said fine, wire it up the reverse bulb circuit in the taillight. We did that as a test run and there was the camera image! So I run the line through the bottom panels very carefully to avoid other wiring. And get the rest to the adaptor. Clean the install up in general and then tried it. Black screen with guidelines. *sigh* Checked connections and called it a night with the same result. Next day installed the radio semi into the dash should I could drive the car to work. The camera image works again! OMG! I'm happy! Works fine as I put aside putting panels back on around the dash. Then get off work the day I plan on going home and finishing the install, and black screen and guidelines. Insert colorful swear words here. Work.on it all night that night. Called Metra about Bluetooth function as well. They said it has not been confirmed with the 2016 fit that Bluetooth function will work with ascw-1 though in the vehicle specific directions it states, to retain OEM Bluetooth, connect this wire, etc. They said try cutting the wire and see what's happens. So I did and taped it up. Nothing still. More research. So I have the 5" OEM color audio radio for this Honda. Apparently, the navigation system one does the Siri hands free and utilizes those buttons, the buttons will work with my OEM radio but only with calling people... Which I don't care much about. So... For anyone trying that, at this moment it ain't gonna happen. But the buttons do not function at all even with trying to call or any kind of response. I installed OEM radio and they do work for call function, so the buttons are working and are not broken. So something could be with the wiring or like Metra said it just doesn't work at the moment, an update may work in the future.

I put panels back together. The new radio is installed fully. Back up camera works with image when it wants to. I'm in the middle of a lot of projects and as much as it torments my mind I have to put this project aside and help others. Just couldn't stand looking at the dash half exposed the radio not fully securing attached. It is now.

As for the Honda warranty, the car just passed 36,000 miles. As for calling or getting "experts" or "professionals" to do things like this I generally don't trust them. I am very OCD which is apart of the Autism. My vehicles might as well be family members. I don't like finding after a car has been to an "expert" screws or bolts missing or just any bolt replacing where OEM should be. This costs me money in the long run cause I replace them with OEM when I find these mistakes.

Not to mention, in the past with, I have had some really bad experiences with auto body shops. If you can't tell, I am very detail oriented. One job was botched so bad there was a horrible trunk leak and also rusting before a year had passed. After taking the vehicle back at least 4 times, and bandaid fixes, nothing really got fixed. This shop has been around and a lot of people trust them. I guess they go by looks only and you know, sadly, that is common. The color matches, the outer damage is gone. Must be right. Well, at the time of this, I didn't want to deal with it besides removing the entire rear interior and seeing their expertise at work. Really, I also didn't have much help finding leak myself. My husband hating me asking him to help even if it was just spraying down the trunk in various spots with me being in the trunk looking. Ended up, taking the body shop to court, with all evidence and got a payment to let another body shop redo the job. Will never use or recommend that shop again. New body shop did well but leak remained. Still, being lazy for the most part took it to "water leak experts" that had been around a while. $300 more dollars and the leak remains. 3 more trips back to them and leak remains. More swear words. I finally buckled down. Researched more. Started removing sealant from left trunk area. Start to see what happened. Everyone could generally tell where the leak was coming from but just piled more and more sealer over existing sealer. A weld seam was open. I took it Honda, asked to get one machine spot weld on that open weld. Cleaned the area. Used expensive 3M self leveling sealant to go over the cleaned channel. Bought made to order paint. Primed, basecoat blended and cleared the spot. All has been well since. Told myself don't be lazy next time and fix it my damn self.

Best Buy has a bunch of horror stories for their installs. I like connections to be soldered. Not quick tapped, but butt connected, etc. There is one shop I trust for looking over my work when it comes to radio installs. I will have to take it to them because I do feel like they care more.

Sorry it's long. I am in no way an expert, but I'm not at all an average female either. It's very hard to find a decent shop that cares about the customers car as much as I would. Luckily with having a Honda again, I have a mechanic that I do trust, he only works on Hondas at his business and has the same passion. Nice friendly guy. I might get the audio shop to take a look, but wish I could look over their shoulder haha. Funds are also low.

I don't know if any of you know anything about autism, but it is very hard to control in these situations, your brain tortures you endlessly. And the music part is what gets me through stuff to ease it.

And I sadly am the one that gets the line from customer service over and over "huh, never heard of that happening before". 🤣

Old 02-09-2018, 02:06 PM
5 Year Member
Doesn't the LX radio have a USB port? My EX has two USB ports, and I have two thumb drives I keep plugged into them, with a total of over 5,000 songs available. I'm a bit confused as to why something like that wouldn't work for you.

Old 02-09-2018, 02:28 PM
The LX has one 12v, one aux and one USB on the dash and another 12v in the center console. I have tried USB keys with music on it before for this sort of thing, however, the mental disorders I mentioned are not the only ones. My music collection is through iTunes (wish I could switch but android auto bugs me with the restricted scrolling crap plus I would buy a phone to harbor the music so it could stay in the car.) I think it is about 3,400 songs now so not as impressive an amount of yours, but it's the damn file system. As far as I know I can't voice that I want to hear this Playlist or this song to the stick or radio to get it to the stick. As well as the root/folder system. I am trying to let it be known I'm really finicky about my music and it's because my racing thoughts go so rapidly fast in my head, I can listen to one Playlist for maybe a few songs and there will be a lyric I hear and I'm like oh! I want to hear this song next! Sometimes by the end of the song I can't even remember what song it was. Say, I do remember well it's hard to go through looking at a radio trying to find a song out of 3,400. I love hands free for this. Tell Siri what to play. Listen to her mishear me and f*ck it up and come back with some crazy title, laugh my ass about it then try to say it where she can understand me and it gets played.

If there is a USB stick or way of doing this, that would be awesome! If not, someone needs to create one for crazy people like me. I have seen some amazing stuff coming out of storage uses these days. I will say the OEM radio is pretty nice. I don't know if it had Sirius though. New one does. And I'm really big on bells and whistles when it comes to showing the album art nice and big and scrolls song titles and such. I know that for a lot of people it's not a big deal but this is one of the things I simply cannot do without. As well as I prefer connections hidden and in glove box. I had to get an iPhone and get service to it, just to have Siri, just to dictate to her what songs to play and sometimes directions. The iPhone at first was an eBay one that worked well until this one dreaded update that killed it. Then I tried to find another at a good price. Oldest model with good storage and carplay. Settled on a smaller storage iphone se from Best buy for $99. Got service through tracfone. Lowest cost, $10 and enough to keep Siri "online". It stays in the glove box. And I get to keep my Motorola on me and not unplug and plug everytime I drive. The jvc is nice though.

Audio shop says, $49 for diagnostic and would recommend PAC over Metra of course. Might just look into PAC, buy and re-wire.

Old 02-09-2018, 06:03 PM
yeah - i understand the comment (uncle-gary), but sometimes it is more about the personalization aspect of the process... the long description (thanx h-lv-56) explains what i sorta-suspected... she DOES know what is going on, is right in the middle of a f&*k-wad of a job, and is frustrated... sigh...

even things that should be plug-n-play end up being a fairly tough job sometimes... i hope that things get worked out for ya... the updates for bluetooth, the camera finding a default-working-type setting, and finally having the car back to normal (rather than franken-dash-pieces) will be nice...

honestly, im kinda scared to LOOK in the bottom of my cars wheel-well for rust in case i come across an old/new leak... sometimes it is just nice to stick my head in the sand, put gas in the car, and just drive without worrying about stuff - which is what honda cars (in general) allow me/us to do... lol...

good job so far and good luck with the updates (when you get time/fixes to them)... hopefully the music, at least, is working correctly - and that is/was the most important thing... :-)

Old 02-09-2018, 06:27 PM
Thank you all for the replies. I really appreciate it. Sorry I'm long winded on forums and in general. I've hit into full on depression mode at this point and am trying to drag myself out or just let it go. Not that I can control it either way, you always can just hope I guess.

I however did get to call the audio people. They said diagnosis fee $49. Doesn't bother me, I understand, they are probably thinking they will have a train wreck to look through. They did mention PAC being more successful and better than Metra. I have heard about it but Metra has usually done the trick enough in the past. Will research this now, and the other thing.... From the Chinese(?) website.... Kinda worries me, any confirmation its a legit site and product?

Thank you all again. As for rust, if you can avoid buying a vehicle with any rust the better. It's basically cancer. Worse when its from the inside out. Civics (and accords?) were notorious for the rear fender well rust out. Probably another well seam issue in the trunk channel. My past Civic didn't get it until after the body shop. I am pretty good at finding leaks. Haven't failed yet! My concern is this car is from jersey and the salt "erosion" on the engine..... I want to see it on a lift too for the frame but eh. Any auto body questions any of you have I can usually help! Some welding too as well as best products to use for car washing and detailing lol.

Old 02-11-2018, 06:08 PM
I used to rewire cars when I ran a 24 hour service station while going through college. Bought a theft recovery 64 Vette with messed up wiring and fixed it fine.

The only tools really needed were a test light to trace power and routine tools.

Now, I stay far away from messing with new car electricals.

Old 04-14-2018, 09:08 AM
Re:

I have gone back and forth on this radio install when I have time. I bought the PAC adaptor and installed it. The used the voltage step-down from the other harness. Got the camera to work constantly outside of being installed. By the way, for anyone interested doing this, I wouldn't attempt it only for the fact that you have to tie into Honda's factory harness and the wires are unbelievably thin. Thinner 22/24 Guage, thinner than Metra's or the radios harness wires. They are hard to work on and break easily, causing major frustration.

I would highly recommend the PAC harness over Metra or Scosche. After turning the switch to which radio it was, the steering wheel controls were already programmed and can also be re-programmed quite easily to what you'd like, including short button presses. The function of changing the clock on instrument panel can be changed with this harness as well. A big plus. Without this function you'd have to disconnect the car battery at 1 to match the time (seems very strange to me and inconvenient) or have the time constantly wrong on that display and correct on the aftermarket radio display. You'd think there would be a sync clock feature but eh.

The camera still works spotty. While out of the dash, it works consistently over and over. While partially installed, again it works well. After the dash is completely reinstalled, it can go either way. Again, very frustrating. I gave up for now again. The camera view is still fisheye and cannot be changed though the PAC harness is able and tied into the CAN BUS controlled area.

I would definitely recommend the PAC harness over the others. It's pricey compared to the others but the ease of installation and built in steering wheel control pre-programmed function is well worth it.

I will have to figure out about the camera power issues soon.

Old 04-14-2018, 09:09 AM
Re:

I have gone back and forth on this radio install when I have time. I bought the PAC adaptor and installed it. The used the voltage step-down from the other harness. Got the camera to work constantly outside of being installed. By the way, for anyone interested doing this, I wouldn't attempt it only for the fact that you have to tie into Honda's factory harness and the wires are unbelievably thin. Thinner 22/24 Guage, thinner than Metra's or the radios harness wires. They are hard to work on and break easily, causing major frustration.

I would highly recommend the PAC harness over Metra or Scosche. After turning the switch to which radio it was, the steering wheel controls were already programmed and can also be re-programmed quite easily to what you'd like, including short button presses. The function of changing the clock on instrument panel can be changed with this harness as well. A big plus. Without this function you'd have to disconnect the car battery at 1 to match the time (seems very strange to me and inconvenient) or have the time constantly wrong on that display and correct on the aftermarket radio display. You'd think there would be a sync clock feature but eh.

The camera still works spotty. While out of the dash, it works consistently over and over. While partially installed, again it works well. After the dash is completely reinstalled, it can go either way. Again, very frustrating. I gave up for now again. The camera view is still fisheye and cannot be changed though the PAC harness is able and tied into the CAN BUS controlled area.

I would definitely recommend the PAC harness over the others. It's pricey compared to the others but the ease of installation and built in steering wheel control pre-programmed function is well worth it.

I will have to figure out about the camera power issues soon.

Old 04-14-2018, 10:06 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
music is very important to me too.. and one of the first things i did on my last Fit was swap out the head unit to a Pioneer double din while using factory trim. i wasnt going for anything audiophile cause the cabin is noisy anyway but something that can EQ the factory speakers to a point it was enjoyable to listen to.

pioneer HU's can definitely do that.. i still think they have the best EQ's onboard and mp3 decoders that can clean up the audio artificially while sounding real good (for factory speaker). plus CarPlay is awesome since pre 18's dont come with it.