3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

New Honda Fit- Sports Owner: What should I know?

  #21  
Old 02-26-2018, 07:30 PM
Member
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Manitoba CANADA
Posts: 546
Originally Posted by nomenclator View Post
A continuously variable transmission is a kind of automatic transmission. It transmits engine rotation to wheel rotation and changes the ratio of engine speed to wheel speed and does so automatically. That makes it an automatic transmission. The "old fashioned" kind of automatic transmission is a planetary gear automatic transmission. It has gear ratios just like a manual transmission but the gear ratios are selected using hydraulically operated braking bands instead of by a manually operated shift fork that slides gears along a shaft. The CVT does not have gear ratios - it has pulley ratios. They are selected automatically via hydraulic control of effective pulley diameter along a contiuum of pulley diameters. It is perfectly accurate to call a CVT a CVAT Ė a continuously variable automatic transmission.
Well, if someone asks me what kind of transmission my Fit has I'll just say CVT. If they then ask me what's that I'll tell them to Google it. I think my way of answering the question will be more satisfactory than getting into a long winded discussion of automatic transmissions.
 
  #22  
Old 02-26-2018, 07:35 PM
bach's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: metro chicago
Posts: 536
I didn't know this was a fan boy site ...
 
  #23  
Old 02-26-2018, 07:47 PM
kenchan's Avatar
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
iTrader: (4)
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OG Club
Posts: 20,283
Originally Posted by bach View Post
I didn't know this was a fan boy site ...
i know right? i was like wtf.
 
  #24  
Old 02-26-2018, 11:19 PM
fitchet's Avatar
Member
5 Year Member
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,839
Originally Posted by bach View Post
I didn't know this was a fan boy site ...
Originally Posted by kenchan View Post
i know right? i was like wtf.

I don't know, it is called FIT FREAK.
I kind of assumed it was going to be filled with Honda Fit enthusiasts.
 
  #25  
Old 02-27-2018, 12:16 AM
sjd
sjd is offline
Member
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 172
Originally Posted by fitchet View Post
I don't know, it is called FIT FREAK.
I kind of assumed it was going to be filled with Honda Fit enthusiasts.
Yeah, youíd think that. Instead itís filled with haters who claim itís their duty to talk about how the car sucks.
 
  #26  
Old 02-27-2018, 12:19 AM
sjd
sjd is offline
Member
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 172
Originally Posted by kenchan View Post
why are you so fixated on just the negatives? there are a whole bunch of other posts i make other than just the negatives of the GK. remember im not a fanboy of honda or the GK.

im a car enthusiast that likes sport hatches and not brand or car oriented. people can and do benefit from 3rd person view understanding where the GK stands as a hatch in 2018. no sugar coating. if you cant handle that, dont come to this site. this site is not about just you or just making you feel good. take the good with the bad.
Negatives are all you talk about. Besides the Fit isnít a sport hatch according to you. So why are you here if you donít like Honda or the Fit? Other than to brag about your VW products?
 
  #27  
Old 02-27-2018, 11:33 PM
bach's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: metro chicago
Posts: 536
My GK is FAR from perfect, but it's what I got. Am I an enthusiast? I think so. I don't pay much attention to names, only content, and I haven't really seen any flame war-level vitriol -- until now. Can't you just shake your head, maybe mutter "what an a-hole!" if you see someone say something dumb and just move on? Everyone here has a Fit; some like them, maybe some don't. So what? Do we really have to call people out like this? It smacks of insecure fan boy shit, and it's kind of disappointing ...
 
  #28  
Old 02-28-2018, 07:41 AM
sjd
sjd is offline
Member
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 172
Originally Posted by bach View Post
My GK is FAR from perfect, but it's what I got. Am I an enthusiast? I think so. I don't pay much attention to names, only content, and I haven't really seen any flame war-level vitriol -- until now. Can't you just shake your head, maybe mutter "what an a-hole!" if you see someone say something dumb and just move on? Everyone here has a Fit; some like them, maybe some don't. So what? Do we really have to call people out like this? It smacks of insecure fan boy shit, and it's kind of disappointing ...
I wouldnít be calling anyone out except I see the same poster post the same hate and same fanboyism over his VW products over and over again. Itís almost all he posts and is tiresome so itís hard to just shake oneís head and move on. Itís obvious he hates his (wifeís) Fit.
 
  #29  
Old 02-28-2018, 09:15 AM
fitchet's Avatar
Member
5 Year Member
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,839
Whether it's FIT FREAK or my local sports team's fan site...whenever I communicate within a forum I try to remember my audience, and respect that, whether my commentary is positive or negative.

Yes, I assume within this site MOST of us are Honda Fit enthusiasts. That is PRO, Honda Fit ownership.

I have nothing against ANY poster here. I have nothing against critical evaluation of the product.
I myself have posted about negatives with this vehicle...most notably a TPMS system that seems to give me a lot of false alerts and wiper blades that drag.

But in my opinion TONE MATTERS.

I don't say...this "pos"...Piece of Shit...
Nor do I tell a new owner, probably excited to be owning a new Honda Fit, to look for problems IMO that do not really exist.

One can be critical of the flaws of a vehicle, in a non-caustic manner. Respecting I think the reality that this forum is really here as a supportive community of Fit owners, not as a platform for constant criticism or degradation of the product.
 
  #30  
Old 02-28-2018, 09:45 AM
sjd
sjd is offline
Member
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 172
Originally Posted by fitchet View Post
I don't say...this "pos"...Piece of Shit...Nor do I tell a new owner, probably excited to be owning a new Honda Fit, to look for problems IMO that do not really exist.

One can be critical of the flaws of a vehicle, in a non-caustic manner. Respecting I think the reality that this forum is really here as a supportive community of Fit owners, not as a platform for constant criticism or degradation of the product.
Exactly! This is my criticism with the poster I called out.
 
  #31  
Old 02-28-2018, 10:08 AM
fitchet's Avatar
Member
5 Year Member
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,839
Originally Posted by sjd View Post


Exactly! This is my criticism with the poster I called out.
Even if I disagree?
I really am not for calling out anyone.
If I disagree with a presented statement someone makes, I'll argue that specific statement....

Otherwise, I am for trying to NOT make it personal.

For example...if someone wants to say....I've never had a problem with my TPMS, I really like the indirect TPMS system on my Honda Fit....

I'm fine with that. Even though that is NOT my experience.

If someone say's....Fitchet is crazy, there is nothing wrong with his TPMS, he just likes to whine constantly about it.....

That's when it becomes a caustic.
 
  #32  
Old 02-28-2018, 10:17 AM
sjd
sjd is offline
Member
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 172
Originally Posted by fitchet View Post
Even if I disagree?
I really am not for calling out anyone.
If I disagree with a presented statement someone makes, I'll argue that specific statement....

Otherwise, I am for trying to NOT make it personal.
You can absolutely disagree. However Iíve owned my Fit for just a few months and am already tired of the hate spewed towards it by this poster. He clearly has an agenda against the Fit. Itís hard to argue a specific statement when every post is hating on the Fit.
 
  #33  
Old 02-28-2018, 10:28 AM
fitchet's Avatar
Member
5 Year Member
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,839
Originally Posted by sjd View Post


You can absolutely disagree. However Iíve owned my Fit for just a few months and am already tired of the hate spewed towards it by this poster. He clearly has an agenda against the Fit. Itís hard to argue a specific statement when every post is hating on the Fit.
Ignoring works too.....
 
  #34  
Old 02-28-2018, 10:36 AM
sjd
sjd is offline
Member
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 172
Originally Posted by fitchet View Post
Ignoring works too.....
Normally Iíd agree but he posts so often. Its become caustic.
 
  #35  
Old 02-28-2018, 11:57 AM
Member
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Asheville NC
Posts: 330
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary View Post

In fact “CVAT” would be more correct, as it would be perfectly feasible to make a CVT where the pulley ratios could be set manually, which you can sort-of do in “sport mode.”
I wonder if there are any fully manual continuously variable transmissions, any CVMTs – where you change the pulley diameters using a mechanical linkage instead of via hydraulics. Things like snowmobiles and scooters have CVATs where centrifugal force acting on a set of small weights changes the diameter of one pulley and because the belt is a fixed length, the other pulley automatically gets smaller as the first gets larger, and vice-versa. This is fully automatic but there are no hydraulics involved and there is no digital electronic computer involved. You might think of the weights as being a mechanical analog computer. I can't recall how the weights are linked to the pulley diameter but there ought to be a way to leave out the weights and have a hand-operated or foot-operated mechanical linkage, instead. I am not aware of any vehicle that has such a CVMT but I'd bet there is one somewhere in space or was one somewhere in time.
 

Last edited by nomenclator; 02-28-2018 at 02:04 PM.
  #36  
Old 02-28-2018, 07:25 PM
kenchan's Avatar
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
iTrader: (4)
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OG Club
Posts: 20,283
Originally Posted by sjd View Post


Negatives are all you talk about. Besides the Fit isnít a sport hatch according to you. So why are you here if you donít like Honda or the Fit? Other than to brag about your VW products?
nono, you only picked up on the negatives. i dont know why it bothers you so much when i say something i dont like about my GK, but i appreciate the fact that it has so much weight to you.

you know ive been around a decade now and i know wat im talking about when it comes to Fits. it's not like i bought one Fit. i bought 4 Fits entirely out of my allowance (cash). that should show that i like the Fit, just that the GK is definitely not wat i expected.

you can go look through my blog and see all sorts of comments ive made about the GD, GE, GK through the last decade. it is unfortunate my GK is not at the quality level the previous Fits were. hell, i bought the car new and encountering all sorts of used car buyer problems. wtf is with that?

brag about my VW products... no, i dont brag. im just posting the facts. if the GK was superior, id post about that too... in fact, GK is superior to the Golf as far as rear passenger foot well space, cargo space and ive posted that numerous times. where were you?
 
  #37  
Old 02-28-2018, 11:50 PM
sjd
sjd is offline
Member
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 172
Originally Posted by kenchan View Post
nono, you only picked up on the negatives. i dont know why it bothers you so much when i say something i dont like about my GK, but i appreciate the fact that it has so much weight to you.

you know ive been around a decade now and i know wat im talking about when it comes to Fits. it's not like i bought one Fit. i bought 4 Fits entirely out of my allowance (cash). that should show that i like the Fit, just that the GK is definitely not wat i expected.

you can go look through my blog and see all sorts of comments ive made about the GD, GE, GK through the last decade. it is unfortunate my GK is not at the quality level the previous Fits were. hell, i bought the car new and encountering all sorts of used car buyer problems. wtf is with that?

brag about my VW products... no, i dont brag. im just posting the facts. if the GK was superior, id post about that too... in fact, GK is superior to the Golf as far as rear passenger foot well space, cargo space and ive posted that numerous times. where were you?
Doubling down huh?

What does bragging that you paid cash for your Fits have to do with anything? How about you use some of the cash you are bragging about to buy your wife a car you don't hate?

I get it. You've owned 4 of them. You're bitter that your latest one gave you problems. It sucks that that happens but you were buying a first year car built in a first year Mexican plant. There isn't a single manufacturer I would buy a first year car from. Not one.

Originally Posted by kenchan View Post
joke aside, check to make sure none of your power window glass tries to fall out like my pos GK..
How is this helpful to a new owner when the window glass falling isn't a common issue on these cars? Not to mention his car is 3 years newer than yours. This is what bothers me. You assume that because your GK has problems that they all do, which obviously isn't the case.
 
  #38  
Old 03-01-2018, 07:20 AM
kenchan's Avatar
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
iTrader: (4)
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OG Club
Posts: 20,283
i am truely sorry for the issues you are having. GL to you.
 
  #39  
Old 03-01-2018, 09:09 AM
fitchet's Avatar
Member
5 Year Member
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,839
Originally Posted by kenchan View Post
i am truely sorry for the issues you are having. GL to you.
Just for the record:

" I have nothing against ANY poster here. I have nothing against critical evaluation of the product. "

I may not agree with everything that gets posted, but I never agree with ANYONE...all the time.

And hey, bottom line, this is just an automotive forum.
I hang around here for information and "fun".

I agree with Bach, from the perspective that agree/disagree or anything between, we don't need to take it so seriously.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.