3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Rear end collision in 2015 Fit

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 09:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wasserball
regardless whether you have collision and comp or not, dealing with your insurance when it is not your fault may result in a ding against you, and maybe a future premium to your insurance cost. I would keep my insurance out of this one when you know it is the other party's fault.
See Other Posts:
I was involved in a somewhat similar situation. Although the damage was very, very, minimal.
I reported the accident to my Insurance, and dealt through them. One of the first questions I asked was if I did so, would it affect my premiums?
They said No. If the accident was 100% the other parties fault, and their insurance was covering everything, then it wouldn't affect my rates with them.

And since I was paying them to insure that vehicle...they had some motivation to make sure I was happy with the recovery and repairs, as I'm paying THEM to insure that same vehicle. If they are covering a 12000 vehicle, then they want to make sure it's a vehicle worth at least 12000 after repairs.

The offending parties insurance has no such motivation. They want to pay off and release from liability as cheaply and quickly as possible.

I would in this case recommend getting your insurance company involved.
I would also say, my rates did NOT increase.

Old 02-24-2018, 07:08 AM
5 Year Member
It is NOT a charge against you if you use your insurance company and the other party is a at fault. Rear end collisions are always the fault of the party in back unless there are some really rare circumstances.

When I was a kid I had some woman run into the back of me in the company parking lot. I stopped and talked to her and exchanged names, etc. I had no damage so I went on to work. I did report the accident to our plant protection (police) since it happened on company property.

A few weeks later she had me arrested for leaving the scene of an accident. I spent 2 hours in jail and they let me out without having to post bond after finding out from me what it was all about. She had a friend that was a captain in the city police who handled it for her. I was arrested in a different city on a warrant issued by the city where the plant was located. At court I asked the woman if at the time of the accident I had supplied my name, drivers license, and plate numbers to her. She said yes. At that point the judge stopped the case and said. "Lady, he identified himself at the time and gave you all of the information necessary. That is obvious because you knew who to have arrested. He also filed an accident report with the controlling police agency. You were in the rear and hit him so you are at fault. Case dismissed."

He then turned to me and said "you have enough here for a civil case against her should you care to pursue it." I didn't.

Point is the person in the rear is almost always at fault and in the end will pay for your damages no matter who initially paid to fix your car.

This is not a chargable accident.

Old 02-24-2018, 08:01 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wasserball
regardless whether you have collision and comp or not, dealing with your insurance when it is not your fault may result in a ding against you, and maybe a future premium to your insurance cost. I would keep my insurance out of this one when you know it is the other party's fault.
wat kind of shitty insurance do you have? my various cars in the past have been hit multiple times and each time i let my insurance handle it. ive never had my premium increase, my agent confirmed there would be no negative impact to me, and ive paid absolutely nothing besides my wife and i's inconvenience.

another reason why i dont save my cars after collisions and just trade in right away.

Old 02-24-2018, 10:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
wat kind of shitty insurance do you have? my various cars in the past have been hit multiple times and each time i let my insurance handle it. ive never had my premium increase, my agent confirmed there would be no negative impact to me, and ive paid absolutely nothing besides my wife and i's inconvenience.

another reason why i dont save my cars after collisions and just trade in right away.
It's kind of amazing and scary also,- how good body shops can be at repair.
My Dad was recently in a pretty bad wreck--nobody was hurt--but the entire front drivers side of his vehicle was very badly damaged. Bent axle, damaged tires, body panels, etc, etc....

I was really surprised when the vehicle was NOT totaled. But they did not total it.
My dad had all the work done, and visually you wouldn't know anything had happened. I'm sure some of us, or professional estimators, could look and tell. But I looked as closely as I could at the areas damaged, and I could see nothing to give away that it had been in an accident.
I would fear that you would have problems in the future, and like you be very tempted to trade in, and simply move on.
My dad is retired, so he doesn't really drive that much anymore, anyway. So as long as the vehicle looks OK...and is driving OK..I don't think he cares. He plans to keep it.
The accident wasn't his fault so he is seeking diminished value.
But he doesn't plan on trading it in.

Old 02-26-2018, 01:03 PM
5 Year Member
Thought I'd drop in and offer my two cents.

3 weeks after trading my 2015 Fit for a 2018 Crosstrek, I was rear ended on the interstate. I was at a dead stop in traffic and a 1990 Dodge Ram slammed into me at about 45.

The driver of the Ram drove off, driving down the middle grass median to get around traffic to get away.

Cops eventually found him. No insurance, no licence, no valid registration.

So of course my insurance had to pick up the tab.

My beautiful new 3 week old Crosstrek with less than 1000 miles had $5000 worth of damage. New liftgate, new bumper cover, new bumper structure, new exhaust, new rear parking sensors, new rear camera, and paint (luckily since it was so new there wasn't much paint needed to color match). It really wasn't that much work but it added up.

But anyway, these damages add up very quickly. Its quite possible that a Fit would be totaled and if you have a choice, you should probably push for that.

If you have full coverage, you should absolutely be working only with YOUR insurance company. You are their customer, not the other guys insurance company. The other insurance company has only one motivation in mind: get away with paying as little as possible. Your insurance company will work to make sure the proper resolution is achieved and will recollect from the other company. It will cost you nothing to go through your insurance company except you may have to cough up your deductible at first which should be reimbursed to you from the other insurance company.

Let your insurance company do the fighting for you. Its what you pay them for.

Good luck.

Old 02-27-2018, 10:03 AM
The final bill to fix this from Caliber was $9,207.34.

My fit after being rear-ended.This was thanks to a guy in an F-150 who had a tire blowout while tailgating me on the 10 freeway.

I was very surprised that my insurer didn't total it. It is a 2015 EX manual with 82k miles on the clock, and worth around $7.5k according to the KBB website, when I looked shortly after the accident. Glad to have it back, though: it has been fully serviced throughout its life, and I'd spent $750 on a new set of tires (expensive Michelin ones, given the high mileage I do) a week before the accident. If they had totaled it, I doubt if I'd have been able to find a used manual Fit in that good condition for $7.5k.

On the subject of insurance companies, if you are the not-at-fault party, beware of the other party's insurers trying to pressure you into giving them a statement, which they will then try to compare with the one you gave your own insurer to find discrepancies and thereby wriggle out of liability. My insurer warned me about this, and advised me to refer the other party's insurer to them for a copy of my statement, and NOT to give one to them directly. She was right: the other insurer phoned me several times a day for a week, and once, when I declined to give them a statement, told me that "You do know that the penalties for insurance fraud can be very severe ... you can do jail time, you know that, right?". In the end, I told them that if I received one more communication from them, I'd be making a complaint about them to the CA insurance commissioner, and hung up. That worked - the calls stopped.

Last edited by SoCalPurpleFit; 02-27-2018 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Added comment about insurance companies.