3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

"Cancel" button issue

Old 03-08-2018, 10:05 PM
5 Year Member
"Cancel" button issue

My 2018 has under 5k miles on, and already I am having issues with the Cancel button on the steering wheel. It has started sticking a bit when trying to press it. And it takes more force than it used to, almost like it's off center or something. Nothing has gotten into it. And while I probably use my cruise a bit more than average, I cannot believe that this is regular wear and tear after less than 5k miles.

Anyone else have this issue? Any ideas on an easy fix (before I throw a temper tantrum at the dealer)?

Old 03-08-2018, 10:23 PM
5 Year Member
If it was me, I'd take it to the dealership ASAP.
The longer you wait, the weaker the case that it is NOT regular wear and tear becomes.

At less than 5K miles, I think you have a good case that it should be covered under warranty.
No need for a temper tantrum. Just present the problem.

Old 03-08-2018, 11:30 PM
5 Year Member
tap the brake.that should turn it off ?
check for a seed or bit of dirt jammed in the side of the button...like the iphone button problem...lol

Old 03-08-2018, 11:53 PM
5 Year Member
That's what I do. I don't think I've ever used the cancel button. I like the fact that tapping the brake also flashes the brake light to warn any drivers behind that you're slowing down. Gives them a chance to wake up and start paying attention.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:22 AM
5 Year Member
I will have to go back to the dealer....my hesitance there is because, when I bought the car, the trim piece around the sun roof button was cracked, and it took them 2 months, and me bugging them 4-5 different times, for them to actually get anything done about it. So I am afraid to even try to get something else fixed.

I know you can tap the brake to turn it off. I drive a 6spd, and I usually prefer coasting and downshifting to slow down, especially when getting off exit ramps. Even though tapping the brake just enough to turn it off won't really effect it at all, it's still a feature that we have that isn't working right on my brand new car

And honestly, it worries me that more might come up...

Old 03-09-2018, 07:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2015FITEX
tap the brake.that should turn it off ?
check for a seed or bit of dirt jammed in the side of the button...like the iphone button problem...lol
Ah, but the cancel button allows you to slow without alerting the police with your brake lights.

Who'm I kidding. I drive like grandpa.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:05 AM
5 Year Member
Too many suggestions that don't resolve the problem. The best one yet, trade in the car! QuiGonQuinn has a problem, and the solution is take it to the dealer, like it or not. But, OK, WD40 is the world's savior.

Last edited by wasserball; 03-09-2018 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:33 AM
If the dealer gives you the run around replacing a part, go to a different dealer. Make sure you rate the bad dealer appropriately on all surveys. Eventually you will get asked how it can be made right.

There is zero reason you should have to live with a broken anything on a new car.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wasserball
Too many suggestions that don't resolve the problem. The best one yet, trade in the car! QuiGonQuinn has a problem, and the solution is take it to the dealer, like it or not. But, OK, WD40 is the world's savior.
I agree with this.
Sure there are 3 ways to cancel cruise control, brake, hit the cruise button or hit cancel.
But that really isn't the point.
It's nearly a brand new vehicle, if the button is defective, not working, or just not right,- it should be fixed.

Personally? If I was sure it wasn't me that caused the damage, I'd want it looked at while it was still under warranty.
The point isn't that there are multiple ways of cancelling cruise control, the point is his cancel button isn't working right.

Old 03-09-2018, 10:18 AM
I've taken apart these buttons. They are "sprung" by a rubber membrane, with guides/grooves on the sides of the button. Something must have made it's way into there.

Old 03-09-2018, 10:54 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wasserball
I was on an airplane once and the takeoff was delayed because there was a problem with someone's seat. The button that you push to straighten out the seat was stuck in the pushed in position and the seat wouldn't stay upright as a result. It was a full flight so moving the passenger to another seat wasn't an option. We waited while a technician was summoned to fix it. When he arrived I had a good view and I was looking forward to watching him fix it. I figured he would have to take apart the mechanism in the seat arm and replace it. Instead all he did was pull out a can of WD-40 and squirt! squirt! squirt! That was it, the button popped free and worked OK after that. Big disappointment at the simplicity of the fix but at least my flight was able to take off after that. I'm not sure how long the WD-40 would work and I wouldn't have been surprised if that button wasn't logged for replacement at a future maintenance appointment.

Old 03-09-2018, 11:13 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by QuiGonQuinn
........it's still a feature that we have that isn't working right on my brand new car

And honestly, it worries me that more might come up...
No argument there, it's something that needs to be fixed and that's what new car warranties are for.

A while back I read a local newspaper article about someone who had just had the the dealer install the 4th transmission on his Ford car (Ford Focus or something like that). The car hadn't even made it out of warranty and they had already replaced the dual-clutch transmission three times. I remember thinking to myself "Now there's somebody who has good reason to complain about the quality of the car he bought!". I am reminded of this article every time I read something on this forum where people are complaining about their problems with the Fit.

Old 03-11-2018, 09:17 AM
5 Year Member
I think I'll try some compressed air, in case something got lodged in there. And maybe WD-40 if that doesn't work. Then, if that doesn't fix it, I'll bring it to the dealer. I'm just frustrated by having to deal with them, but I guess that's the game they play, making it difficult for me to do warranty stuff so I won't want to...ugh...

Old 03-11-2018, 12:30 PM
5 Year Member
Not sure about wd-40, but I'd try liquid graphite. Only AFTER I had the dealership work on it though. You don't want to do before, because they can blame your "fix" for the cause and deny warranty repair.

Old 03-11-2018, 12:37 PM
5 Year Member
And if you fix it with the lubricant the dealership won't touch it because they'll say "Look, no problem. It's working OK. Get lost. ". Lubricant is really only a temporary fix if it works because sooner or later it'd dry out and you'd have to apply it again.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
Not sure about wd-40, but I'd try liquid graphite. Only AFTER I had the dealership work on it though. You don't want to do before, because they can blame your "fix" for the cause and deny warranty repair.
This is exactly why, even if I felt I could probably fix it, I wouldn't.
Broken through no fault of your own? That should be covered under warranty. Broken? And you've squirted WD-40 or graphite in there? You can be blamed. Or at least it looks a lot more suspicious when you drive in looking for warranty coverage.
I'd give them 1 clean shot at fixing it. It is under warranty after all.