3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Doors not locking

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 06:23 PM
Doors not locking/unlocking with sensor

Every now and then my doors won't auto-unlock, I have to dig out the key and use the unlock function on the key. Just curious if anyone else has had this happen and if so, what was the fix?

To Clarify: The doors are failing to lock and unlock periodically using the button/sensor. It has happened on the hatch and driver side door. I don't think I've tried the passenger door when it gets into this issue. Usually it goes away and works fine the next time I use the car. The battery in the key fob is brand new and the fob itself works fine. I keep the fob in my purse and it is well within range. Worked fine there for 3+ years.

Last edited by Zute; 03-15-2018 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:50 PM
5 Year Member
Have you tried a fresh battery?

Old 03-14-2018, 09:13 PM
In the remote? Yes. Just changed it.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member
Where do you keep the fob? Is there anything electronic or metallic near where you keep it?

Are you wearing gloves when you try to open the door? Is it raining/are the handles wet?

Is your body between the car and the fob?

Have you tried it with both doors? Or just driver's side?

Old 03-15-2018, 07:12 AM
5 Year Member
Is it just the drivers door or the hatch, or even the passenger side?

Old 03-15-2018, 05:22 PM
5 Year Member
Kind of confusing because your headline is...
"Doors Not Locking".

But your post seems to suggest it's actually your doors not Unlocking.
And not unlocking at the door itself. The sensor in the handle?

If that's the case I would ask is the failure always with the same door sensor? Will the doors unlock using the hatch unlock sensor or the passenger door sensor?

I don't quite get the problem here, as there is no such thing as an "Auto-Unlock", even when working you have to press the sensor on the door, or touch the sensor on the hatch.
If you are doing that, and the door is still not unlocking without using the fob directly, then there is a problem.
I'd be curious if it's specific to one door. If so I'd say the button or sensor on that door is bad.

Old 03-15-2018, 08:29 PM
It is actually both. Yeah, a little confusing. Ok, I live in S. CA so no gloves, no rain. I've had it fail to lock and unlock. It has happened on the hatch and the drivers side. A couple times it failed on the hatch and then worked on the driver door. Another time it failed on both. I don't think I tried the passenger side.

I am talking about using the sensor/button to lock/unlock the doors.

Old 03-16-2018, 05:55 AM
5 Year Member
Only behaving with 1 fob or the spare as well? Just trying to eliminate variables.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:56 AM
5 Year Member
Well I could believe the button itself could become damaged or fail. BUT...I can't believe both the drivers door button and the hatch button would both fail simultaneously.
If it's happening with both, that leads me back to the transmitter/receiver end of the equation.
You could try switching to back-up fob, and if the problem goes away, that pretty much tells you it's the original fob.

Also, with an older vehicle of mine, there use to be a restaurant that was surrounded by some type of radio tower or signal. And when I parked in that parking lot, sometimes I had a devil of a time getting the alarm to disengage and the doors to unlock. But it was just something specific to that area.

So a further question is...is this only happening when parked in one specific area? Or has it happened parked in multiple locations?

Old 03-25-2018, 01:53 PM
5 Year Member
I would open the Key Transmitter and clean the contacts. That should help.

Old 01-10-2024, 06:10 AM
Same issue

Originally Posted by Zute
Every now and then my doors won't auto-unlock, I have to dig out the key and use the unlock function on the key. Just curious if anyone else has had this happen and if so, what was the fix?

To Clarify: The doors are failing to lock and unlock periodically using the button/sensor. It has happened on the hatch and driver side door. I don't think I've tried the passenger door when it gets into this issue. Usually it goes away and works fine the next time I use the car. The battery in the key fob is brand new and the fob itself works fine. I keep the fob in my purse and it is well within range. Worked fine there for 3+ years.
I have the same issue as well I understand perfectly that issues you are having. Did you by any chance fix it and if so what was the problem that caused it. What was replaced?