3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2016 Fit EX

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 09:47 AM
5 Year Member
2016 Fit EX

I just purchased this car used with 13,000 miles on it. I had 2007 Fit Sport for 11 years and the only major problem was the air conditioning system which was fixed. However, I've had this car 2 months and it's not the same ride. It's very hard on bumps in the road, and when there is even the slightest wind, the car won't stay in it's lane. The car fax was clean but I'm wondering if this is normal for this year. The right window constantly sounds like there is a window open (that's how loud it is). In addition, the transmission seems as if it doesn't change gears until I hit 60 mph. It's sounds like a constant winding.

I need feedback before I look further into these issues. There may have been an accident that was not reported.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:50 AM
The CVT on this car doesn't behave like others that I've driven. There are no real 'gears'. It takes a short while to get used to.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:54 AM
5 Year Member
I've heard, just wanted to make sure I didn't have a faulty tranny.

What about the suspension? It's not the same. very uncomfortable ride.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:56 AM
5 Year Member
Have you checked tire inflation?

Old 04-15-2018, 11:11 AM
5 Year Member
Yes. The light was on but there was nothing wrong with the inflation. However, I brought it in and they said the tires were low, even though I had a mechanic friend check it and said it was fine.

Old 04-15-2018, 01:13 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by like2cycle33
I just purchased this car used with 13,000 miles on it. I had 2007 Fit Sport for 11 years and the only major problem was the air conditioning system which was fixed. However, I've had this car 2 months and it's not the same ride. It's very hard on bumps in the road, and when there is even the slightest wind, the car won't stay in it's lane. The car fax was clean but I'm wondering if this is normal for this year. The right window constantly sounds like there is a window open (that's how loud it is). In addition, the transmission seems as if it doesn't change gears until I hit 60 mph. It's sounds like a constant winding.

I need feedback before I look further into these issues. There may have been an accident that was not reported.
hummm.. ive had a 08, 09, 12, and 16 and they all had/have issues with crosswind.

As for the bumpiness check your tire pressure if it's too high. should be around 32psi for comfort driving.

in comparison the 12 had the smoothest ride out of the box of the 4 i owned, but none of them were all that smooth riding to begin with.

Old 04-15-2018, 07:11 PM
5 Year Member
My ‘15 Fit EX has an absolutely awful bumpy ride, but it’s entirely due to the deplorable condition of the roads in upstate NY. Ten years of “deferred maintenance” have rendered the roads I have to drive on a daily basis not only uncomfortable, but dangerous as well.

Old 04-15-2018, 08:49 PM
5 Year Member
I had 2007 Fit Sport for 11 years and ....... However, I've had this car 2 months and it's not the same ride. It's very hard on bumps in the road, and when there is even the slightest wind, the car won't stay in it's lane.
When you drive the same car for 11 years your butt gets so used to the seat, and the suspension, that when you finally do get a different car there may be a difficult adjustment period. And yes, although I've never owned a 2007 to compare to, I'm pretty sure the GK is a different car in many ways and will take some getting used to.

Old 04-15-2018, 09:44 PM
5 Year Member
Never owned a previous generation Fit, but from other's comments who have, they've said the GK is a better riding Fit than previous generations. Apparently not as "go-kart" handling, but a more mature ride.

As far as the transmission and wind noise, try test driving another Fit at a dealership to see if it's similar? Just say you're looking at getting a new one. They don't have to know how long you've had the current one.

Old 04-16-2018, 08:00 AM
5 Year Member
I've driven tractors and diesels, on and off road. With the tractors, like the CVT Fit, the 'just set it and forget it' transmission was so different from either a manual or automatic car; after driving a VW TDI for 15 years, someone asked me if the Fit's tires were noisy. I laughed!
After I bought the Fit the next owner of the TDI drove past my house one day: I thought it was an earthquake.
One tractor had a top speed in high gear of 40 mph, but no springs or shocks or seatbelt: taking it on a rural paved road was an experience.
Get used to small problems; handle any large problems.

Old 04-16-2018, 08:28 AM
5 Year Member
These type of problems are hard to diagnose over the internet.
For safety reasons, I'd recommend having your suspension checked. Maybe an alignment done.

Old 04-16-2018, 01:20 PM
5 Year Member
I had an '08 Sport and thought the ride was much harsher than my '16 LX. Neither car is immune to crosswinds, but as far as wandering/hard to keep in a lane, not my experience, I've driven vehicles which were much worse in this regard.

Any chance you have a salvage vehicle? If the frame was bent in a front ender and not properly aligned, could describe some of the problems you're having.

As far as wind noise, check the rubber door seals to make sure they're all seated properly, otherwise you will get wind intrusion.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:42 PM
5 Year Member
My 2015 EX exhibits none of these issues at the level you describe. I'd suggest an inspection.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:30 AM
5 Year Member
I agree. I'm going to bring it to an auto body shop. Something isn't right.

Old 04-20-2018, 04:44 PM
5 Year Member

I traded in my 2015 6MT LX [81k miles] for a 2016 EX-L CVT with 10k miles. I drove about 2000 miles so far on the 2016 CVT and the suspension feels exactly like my 2015's when it went past the 50k mile mark: harsher ride overall + hints of boating.

I had purchased the 2015 new and the suspension felt much better when new than my low mileage 2016. I recently drove my buddy's 2018 Mazda3 he got new and the suspension feels the same as my 2015's when new.

So I guess if the car sits for a while / short trips ... I am guessing the gas pressure in the struts/shocks suffers a bit and thus the suspension suffers b/c of it.

As for the CVT, I am actually impressed. Only if there were a way to get rid of those artificial gear shifts it's pre-programmed to do.

Last edited by CommanderSlug; 04-20-2018 at 04:48 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CommanderSlug
As for the CVT, I am actually impressed. Only if there were a way to get rid of those artificial gear shifts it's pre-programmed to do.
Huh? What are you talking about? There's no such thing.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:22 AM

1) Learn to check your own tire pressure. 16 inch wheels on a small frame generally produces a slightly stiffer ride.
2) Crosswinds are crosswinds buddy. A tall, small, light car is prone to it. Go get an alignment if you are having trouble sleeping at night.
3) If you want to check for accidents, just stare at each panel and its clearcoat finish/reflectiveness. The majority of cheap fix it paintjobs have a dead giveaway difference in clearcoat texture.
4) Window seal is busted?
5) Dude, that's the fucking CVT. The belt shifts accordingly based on how hard you're pressing the accelerator. If you're mashing it, it's going to just stay at the highest mechanical advantage setting until you're done mashing.

Old 04-25-2018, 02:59 PM
5 Year Member
[/QUOTE=CommanderSlug]Only if there were a way to get rid of those artificial gear shifts it's pre-programmed to do.[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by woof
Huh? What are you talking about? There's no such thing.
My EX-L has the paddle shifters which allow me to select through 7 "gears". When in "D", I can clearly notice simulated shifting under normal driving. I am not sure if the lower trim levels such as the LX is programmed in a different way.