3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Looking to buy a 3rd Gen and want to tow ...

Old 05-29-2018, 06:32 PM
Looking to buy a 3rd Gen and want to tow ...

I ride bikes and prefer to tow to some single track or forest roads so I don't have to ride back on the hwy for 2+ hours. I don't plan on towing a whole lot, but maybe 1200lbs max.

Aside from adding some form of hitch, I want to upgrade the brakes. What are the best drop in kits to add larger rotors? Is it super easy to add rear discs? I feel like this would up the tow game on the 3rd gen to something respectable so that I can go down hills and not have to worry about flying over a rail. Since I live in an apartment complex, I'm limited as id have to be able to do it in like 2-3 hours so they don't get on my ass. I'm a fairly experienced shade tree mechanic, but I just don't want to be doing any fabrication.

Also, I plan on buying a 6-speed. I really wanted an element AWD manual, but those are just way too expensive and hard to find for anything less than $10k

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-29-2018, 07:55 PM
I have a used torklift evo hitch I'm selling if you're interested

Old 05-29-2018, 09:11 PM
I'll keep you in mind Jesus

Old 05-31-2018, 12:12 PM
The only rear disc conversion I've seen is from Gotuning, but it's $1300 and no idea if any other Honda discs/pads are compatible with the JDM Jazz setup.

Go Tuning Unlimited

I'd like to see if HR-V brake parts bolt up, since they are built on a version of the Fit chassis, but the rear axles look somewhat different in photos. Would be a gamble to see if the bolts line up. If it works, though, replacement parts are easily available.

Worth some time looking through Bassguitarist1985's posts, he's done the most towing I've seen on this forum.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...need-know.html

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...lots-pics.html

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...k-pearl-4.html

Old 06-02-2018, 04:50 PM
cool, thx for all the info. I was looking at the HR-V, but car and driver said that the fit was a better option due to it's lighter weight.

Old 06-02-2018, 07:13 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
.. but you get AWD on the HRV? if dat matters.

Old 06-02-2018, 07:23 PM
only if I get the CVT. The manual doesn't come in AWD. If that were the case, i would get the AWD MT

Old 06-02-2018, 07:34 PM
5 Year Member
makes sense. i didnt know hrv's come in MT (u can tell i have zero interest..lol)

Old 06-02-2018, 07:59 PM
yeah, it's not that great for what it is. I was looking at it for just a few more inches of ground clearance so I can go a little bit more off road. nothing extreme, but just enough to get to places a fit would have a hard time going.

Old 06-03-2018, 07:21 PM
5 Year Member
I would think the HRV would be a better choice for towing. But perhaps so much of it is cosmetic it makes no difference.

https://www.thetowcarawards.com/tow-car/honda-hr-v/ A UK site I think. Different engine - diesel - which matters.

In no way does the Fit make a great tow car .. more like a toad ... but you know that of course. Plenty of people do successfully tow hitch racks and trailers, easy to find pics of people with different setups. Towing has become more popular as small crossovers have become more popular. As long as you balance the weight these cars can tow more than Honda would recommend. Be Safe though.

Old 06-03-2018, 10:49 PM
I used to think AWD was a big deal, but the older I get the more I think it's wasted on cars that aren't actually being used for moderate/serious off roading. It makes less of a difference in the snow than winter tires on a FWD car, and the rest of the year it just adds weight and reduces gas mileage.

Got a CX-5 for the wife a few years ago, but I don't think I've ever gotten any use out of the AWD system. All she uses it for is commuting on the freeway, and when I drive it she gets mad if I even use half the available traction. Seemed like a good idea at the time, but if we have to go anywhere in the snow, we end up in the Fit with Blizzaks.

Old 06-04-2018, 07:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hasdrubal View Post
I used to think AWD was a big deal, but the older I get the more I think it's wasted on cars that aren't actually being used for moderate/serious off roading. It makes less of a difference in the snow than winter tires on a FWD car, and the rest of the year it just adds weight and reduces gas mileage.

Got a CX-5 for the wife a few years ago, but I don't think I've ever gotten any use out of the AWD system. All she uses it for is commuting on the freeway, and when I drive it she gets mad if I even use half the available traction. Seemed like a good idea at the time, but if we have to go anywhere in the snow, we end up in the Fit with Blizzaks.
hahaha. dat's the whole point of AWD. you get the grip u deserve without having to have to think about it.. or wishing for it.

Old 06-04-2018, 07:40 PM
5 Year Member
With simple AWD systems you can feel it engage. Honda CRV as an example, my 2004, it was very obvious when the coupling locked up. It was rarely used. After that car I decided the same: Winter tires and ground clearance are generally more useful than AWD.

And the HRV system is as simple as they come.

Honda is not the only culprit. OEMs have figured out it's a commodity for most people, and so they put the cheapest, simplest AWD on they can think of, since most people think "they're all the same." They aren't though. If you care, you do the research and end up with Subaru, Audi, Acura .. maybe select other models.

Old 06-04-2018, 07:43 PM
5 Year Member
well, those might be garbage then. i dont think about awd "engaging" on my cars.. it is always high grip.