3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Check Engine Light - Continuing

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 09:43 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverEX15
We pick up the car this morning and then run through the drive cycle as quickly as possible to get it inspected before the check Engine light comes on again. Below is a generic drive cycle, as presented by New York.
  1. The OBDII drive cycle begins with a cold start (coolant temperature below 122 degrees F and the coolant and air temperature sensors within 11 degrees of each other).
  2. The ignition key must not be left on prior to the cold start – otherwise the heated oxygen sensor diagnostic may not run.
    • As soon as the engine starts, idle the engine in drive for two and one-half minutes, with the air conditioning (A/C) and rear defrost turned on, if equipped.
    • Turn the A/C and rear defrost off, and accelerate to 55 mph under moderate, constant acceleration. Hold at a steady speed of 55 mph for three minutes.
    • Decelerate (coast down) to 20 mph without braking (or depressing the clutch for manual transmissions).
    • Accelerate again back to 55 to 60 mph.
    • Hold at a steady speed of 55 to 60 mph for five minutes. Decelerate (coast down) to a stop without braking.
I won't be easy to find a safe place to do this.
wow, that's quite a strict inspection in NY. I think in TX, it's like a 5 minute inspection. The fellow drive the car around the parking lot making sure the wipers and the brakes work , That's it. There are even places that will "help you pass" the inspection, for extra fees, of course..

Old 09-25-2018, 10:00 AM
5 Year Member
That's not really the test. That is just a suggestion of how to get the OBDII system in the ready status. Basically normal operation of the vehicle over a short time gets the car into ready status.

That same amount of driving will usually also trigger the CEL if there's a problem. Hence why they require the OBDII system to be in ready status.

Unless you clear codes or disconnect the battery, cars are all in the ready status driving around.

Silver, keep us updated. I don't see any way for this to end other than buying a new set of injectors. You could probably save yourself a lot of time and aggravation by just coughing up the dough and moving forward. People that have replaced the faulty injectors do not seem to have the problem come back.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:03 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
Silver, keep us updated. I don't see any way for this to end other than buying a new set of injectors. You could probably save yourself a lot of time and aggravation by just coughing up the dough and moving forward. People that have replaced the faulty injectors do not seem to have the problem come back.
We just picked up the car, and it's going for its re-inspection Thursday afternoon. As for the new injectors, that's a last resort. No where (and no one other than the dealer) is injectors listed as a cause of the P0171 error code.

Old 09-25-2018, 06:57 PM
Interesting. The dealer should have fixed this under warrenty i imagine, the third party may have been a mistake. Perhaps e-mail honda. .. then try a different honda dealer for investigation/diagnosis/fix.

Old 09-26-2018, 06:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by knope
Interesting. The dealer should have fixed this under warrenty i imagine, the third party may have been a mistake. Perhaps e-mail honda. .. then try a different honda dealer for investigation/diagnosis/fix.
The dealer's solution was $1,700 fuel injectors. I'm just hoping it passes inspection tomorrow.

Both the dealer and the mechanic recommended an occasional tank of Stewart's premium non-ethanol gas, even though it isn't Top Tier..

Old 09-26-2018, 05:25 PM
5 Year Member
The Check Engine light came on a few minutes ago, so there will be no inspection tomorrow. So now what? Honda and a local guy worked on it, but it's still no good. If I bring it back to Honda, they'll want to replace the injectors for $1,700, and we know that won't solve the problem. In a few days, it will be going on its second month without an inspection. $385 for nothing so far.

Old 09-26-2018, 05:27 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
time for new car non honda mexico

Old 09-26-2018, 05:39 PM
5 Year Member
Why will injectors not solve the problem?

Car has a lean code and the 2015's have a seriously known injector issue.

Old 09-26-2018, 05:43 PM
5 Year Member
Look at the 6th cause of this code here...

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0171

"Failed fuel injector"

Old 09-26-2018, 05:46 PM
5 Year Member
Also, do you have a code scanner or are you going by what the dealer said?

I would want to pull the codes myself or swing by an auto parts store and have them pull the code. Make sure we aren't really dealing with multiple codes.

Old 09-26-2018, 07:55 PM
5 Year Member
Why will injectors not solve the problem?

Car has a lean code and the 2015's have a seriously known injector issue.
Agreed. The threads where I've seen this problem, after the injectors were replaced, there were no further reports. Or maybe they haven't gone through the mileage where it's resurfaced.

It's sucks but what are the alternatives? So far I haven't seen anyone fix it differently.

​​​​​

Old 09-27-2018, 07:03 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
time for new car non honda mexico
Definitely. Both of our cars have had too many problems in too short a time, and they took way too long to repair. It took 18 months for the dealer to replace my radio, which was preventing the LaneWatch camera from working. We'll be looking at Subaru and Prius.

Old 09-27-2018, 07:04 AM
5 Year Member
Also, do you have a code scanner or are you going by what the dealer said?

I would want to pull the codes myself or swing by an auto parts store and have them pull the code. Make sure we aren't really dealing with multiple codes.
Both. The dealer and I - and the private mechanic - found that P0171 code.

Old 09-27-2018, 07:07 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
Agreed. The threads where I've seen this problem, after the injectors were replaced, there were no further reports. Or maybe they haven't gone through the mileage where it's resurfaced.

It's sucks but what are the alternatives? So far I haven't seen anyone fix it differently.

​​​​​
And you know of cars with the P0171 code that were repaired with an injector replacement? I'm hesitant because the dealer wants $1,700, and if that doesn't work, he'll say, "Oh, well, let's try something else." Since the injectors are bad - originally bad - Honda should pay for the work. I definitely won't have the dealer do the work. I'll either do it myself or have the private mechanic replace them.

Old 09-27-2018, 07:10 AM
5 Year Member
Look at the 6th cause of this code here...

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0171

"Failed fuel injector"
If it were spark plugs, I say, Go ahead and replace them. This is an expensive job on a relatively new car. The dealer cleaned the fuel system ($300), and the mechanic checked fuel pressure. Other car people I've talked to didn't think injectors were the problem, but of course, they weren't aware of the bad injectors that Honda used in these cars.

"Vacuum leak downstream" is what the mechanic fixed when he replaced that intake collar.
I'm going to both the dealer and the mechanic today and see what they say. It would be nice if the dealer could find the problem and then repair it. Guessing and making me pay is not an acceptable solution.

Last edited by SilverEX15; 09-27-2018 at 07:13 AM.
Old 09-27-2018, 07:58 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverEX15
I'm going to both the dealer and the mechanic today and see what they say. It would be nice if the dealer could find the problem and then repair it. Guessing and making me pay is not an acceptable solution.
Good luck! I would get the codes pulled again to see if more have come up. Often you get one at first and then more later that will help pin point the problem.

If the problem isn't fuel related, the other less likely possibility is air flow related. Anyone clean the MAF sensor or consider the O2 sensor as the issue? "Lean" codes can happen if the air isn't properly measured going in or coming out.

Old 09-27-2018, 08:38 AM
5 Year Member
Good luck! I would get the codes pulled again to see if more have come up. Often you get one at first and then more later that will help pin point the problem.

If the problem isn't fuel related, the other less likely possibility is air flow related. Anyone clean the MAF sensor or consider the O2 sensor as the issue? "Lean" codes can happen if the air isn't properly measured going in or coming out.
Yes. Cleaning the MAF was the first step the dealer took.

Old 09-27-2018, 10:04 AM
5 Year Member
I went to the dealer just now. "It's probably the Mass Air Flow sensor." Probably! I said, "Suppose you replace it, and I still have the problem? I don't want to pay for that." "Oh, of course not, but we might find another problem, too."

Service managers must go through a lot of training to have just the right answers for their customers. "Probably" and "another problem, too" provide an easy way to replace whatever they want. If brake pads are worn, I can see that. I can't see anything wrong with an MAF sensor. I thought of talking to the independent mechanic, but he would have to inspect it again, order a part, and wait five days for it to arrive. I'll bring the car to the dealer tomorrow at 8:30 and let them start running up the bill.

Old 09-27-2018, 12:17 PM
5 Year Member
if you go subie, lmk .... I'm an ambassador and can help ya out (pm for details)

Old 09-27-2018, 12:21 PM
5 Year Member
if you go prius .... you may want to spend a few mins looking up a few common issues the 3rd gen (and possibly 4th gen) ones come with:

-excessive oil consumption
-clogged egr components
-oil collecting in intake manifold
-eventual HG failure from misfire

(googling the term "prius engine shake" or "prius shaking" may produce the needed results)

Here is my personal experience with a HG failure, with a 3rd gen prius motor in the hood:
(SPOILER ALERT, HG FAILURE)
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ct-...l#post10122132
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ct-...l#post10122132

Here is a taste of what unscheduled maintenance those prius engines will need:

head gaskets and blown engines aside..... those cars sure as heck get great mpg!

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light - Continuing