3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

R.I.P. Eco Mode

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 07:09 PM
5 Year Member
R.I.P. Eco Mode

I posted in another thread about experiencing a shudder when starting out and accelerating through about 20 MPH or so. I have always used Eco Mode to maximize fuel efficiency. After turning Eco Mode off I have found that It only serves to try and do what I can already with my foot-moderate. While it MAY have some effect on fuel economy numbers in how the A/C functions, I can't see any other potential benefits. I have been putting up with the shuddering for far too long, and now I am saying no mas! So to the Eco Mode I say adios.

Old 09-22-2018, 07:38 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah i always turn it off when i get in my GK. it’s a useless feature and a nuisance. i get the same mpg regardless and drives better without.

Old 09-22-2018, 07:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
yah i always turn it off when i get in my GK. it’s a useless feature and a nuisance. i get the same mpg regardless and drives better without.
Indeed I can concur.

Old 09-22-2018, 11:00 PM
5 Year Member
Now you're going to make me check.
I drive using both ECO and "regular". But the last month or so,, mostly ECO mode.
I haven't really noticed any shuddering. But maybe I'm just not paying close enough attention. The only thing I really notice is a less aggressive initial throttle response. Which I expect from "ECO" mode.

Going to be a bummer if now I start noticing the shudder.

Old 09-23-2018, 04:28 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
Now you're going to make me check.
I drive using both ECO and "regular". But the last month or so,, mostly ECO mode.
I haven't really noticed any shuddering. But maybe I'm just not paying close enough attention. The only thing I really notice is a less aggressive initial throttle response. Which I expect from "ECO" mode.

Going to be a bummer if now I start noticing the shudder.
IMO only a very gentle acceleration may cause this behavior. I’m of the opinion that a gentle foot can replicate what eco mode is trying to accomplish with regard to throttle response.

Old 09-23-2018, 08:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by LLLC1393

IMO only a very gentle acceleration may cause this behavior. I’m of the opinion that a gentle foot can replicate what eco mode is trying to accomplish with regard to throttle response.
So then, maybe I'm not noticing the shudder because I'm just naturally more aggressive with my acceleration in ECO mode?
Which would mean there is really 2 ways to deal with this.
Either keep it in ECO mode and accelerate more aggressively, OR keep it "normal" and accelerate gently.

I drive using both....
But I kind of found that I like ECO because I think the less aggressive accelerator pedal mapping, allows the vehicle to start out smoother. In normal, I get a real "snap" at start up.
Which is why I use both. Kind of depends on what mood I'm in.
At speed? I don't notice a difference between either mode.

Old 09-23-2018, 10:23 AM
Eco mode for me is only good for highway driving, not city. Never seen better fuel mileage using Eco mode in the city.

Old 09-23-2018, 11:30 AM
5 Year Member
IMO only a very gentle acceleration may cause this behavior.
That sounds like it could be TCC shudder. Yes the CVT trans has a regular torque converter with TCC.
How many miles, and when was last trans fluid service? (CVT fluid HCF-2)

Old 09-23-2018, 01:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
Since when do you need to turn it off? The Eco feature is not in a default position. I never use it. I want to utilize all that 130 hp all the time and still get 45 mpg (unless there is a head wind) on the open highway with the cruise set less than 65 mph.

Old 09-23-2018, 03:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wasserball
Since when do you need to turn it off? The Eco feature is not in a default position. I never use it. I want to utilize all that 130 hp all the time and still get 45 mpg (unless there is a head wind) on the open highway with the cruise set less than 65 mph.
my wife is the primary driver and she uses the econ mode thinking she's saving gas.. maybe she is, not sure. i rarely drive the GK.. maybe once or twice a month besides moving it out of the way to pull out my hobby cars from the garage.

Old 09-23-2018, 07:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ezone
That sounds like it could be TCC shudder. Yes the CVT trans has a regular torque converter with TCC.
How many miles, and when was last trans fluid service? (CVT fluid HCF-2)
Ny car has 21K miles. I have not had a trans fluid service done. Got it new.

Old 09-24-2018, 12:05 AM
5 Year Member

Ny car has 21K miles. I have not had a trans fluid service done. Got it new.
Ah, that's very low miles. I've not seen any of the CVT cars exhibit tcc shudder at that low mileage

Old 09-24-2018, 01:48 PM
5 Year Member
my GK is 32k miles or something. no issue with cvt besides it sucks. lol

Old 09-24-2018, 03:29 PM
5 Year Member
I dont have an eco button. Just so I can learn from this, did the issue of shudders go away by avoiding usage of the eco button?

Old 09-24-2018, 03:37 PM
5 Year Member
Eco mode is incredibly useful in stop-and-go traffic jams, as it blunts throttle response. Take your foot off the gas and the car slowly inches forward. It's more brisk if you don't use ECO. Only drawback here is that if you're stuck in a traffic jam, ECO also blunts A/C response, so the interior might heat up a little bit faster if you're using A/C.

Old 09-24-2018, 08:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
I dont have an eco button. Just so I can learn from this, did the issue of shudders go away by avoiding usage of the eco button?
Initially I thought it did, but now I’m not so sure. The Econ button seems to be more trouble than good imo. I’m driving with it off for a bit now. I don’t miss being in Econ mode at al. I’m able to gently depress the accelerator when starting out, and in general, while not having throttle response that’s restrained. I have found the curbing of acceleration when starting out in Econ mode to be doubly frustrating when coupled with my gentle foot.

Old 09-26-2018, 08:45 AM
5 Year Member
I can only report personal experience.
But as a result of this thread, I've been paying closer attention to acceleration and drive feel while I'm using the ECON mode.
And I have to say, on my 2016 Honda Fit EX, I don't notice any shudder.

Old 09-26-2018, 12:23 PM
5 Year Member
has anyone tested out an electronic throttle controller? it's like the total opposite of econ button, it actually IMPROVES throttle response. I'm willing to bet, a device similar to a Pedal Commander ... may change some lives in here

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ontroller.html

Old 10-04-2018, 09:43 AM
5 Year Member
Well folks, it seems that Econ Mode is here to stay-at least for me. After going thorough a period of over analyzing things, I choose to simply drive my Fit now without magnifying things so much. I have found that my very gentle foot works equally well with Econ Mode enabled, or not. The shudder I described earlier persists though. It's not as obvious to me all of the time, but it's definitely jarring at times when it happens. Always when starting out from a stop and accelerating relatively slowly, my default behavior. As I accelerate through 20 mph I can feel a bit of a shudder and then it's gone as fast as it came. My Fit is now just outside of the warranty period and has reached the halfway point of it's loan to be payed. I wrestle with getting a new vehicle that would address some it's shortcomings on a nearly daily basis. I face the dilemma of losing the things that I like about my Fit, but am frustrated by the things that I wish could be improved upon. Things like better illumination from the front and rear, a H/U that would display elapsed and/or remaining time for audio programs/tracks, a way to easily integrate satellite radio into the H/U via an aux jack, retained accessory power so that I can continue phone calls or listening to the radio when turning off the ignition, and provably a few other things. The "carpet" where driver and all passengers' feet sit is awful. My front passenger seat isn't occupied all that much and there's always a floor mat there. Still the material on the floor is pilling in spots towards the center area. On the positive side I can point to extremely low operating costs and many fancy features in what amounts to an econobox of today. I especially like the comfort access feature, where I can place my hand inside the door handle and easily unlock the door. BUT doing so using the driver's door will only unlock it! The ability to depress the small button inside the rear hatch to both lock and unlock all of the doors is fantastic. Having upgraded my radio as much as easily possible, I'm somewhat satisfied with the audio aspects of it. Again this car is a compromise of sorts for me. I still prefer my 2010 Fit Sport, that my wife has been driving since mid 2012. With 55K miles it has some good life left in it. My car has only 22K miles.